Why become a member? ×

New American Artist Flea Signature?

NJE

I've had numerous conversations with other bass players (and geetarists) about what draws them to particular instruments in the first place. 

It is surprising how many times you read/hear the comment, 'Ooh, that looks nice,' and the lust, the need, the craving for ownership starts from there, a wanting that kicks in without any perception as to what the instrument will play or sound like.  I've been there (from the first time I saw Overend Watts with his white Thunderbird and Johnny Thunders with his Junior) and I've worn several t-shirts, but my desire to own my first Thunderbird was driven simply from the association and way it looked; I had no idea how it (or the dozen or so that followed) would sound or play.  I got lucky.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's really nothing different in the true sense - it's still just a pink Jazz (50+ years old), with a different/Stingray-cloned pickup option.  I do wonder whether people are in love with the shape or that it might sound like a Stingray (that pickup could just be a P-bass one under the cover), because there's nothing radically new about it - Sandberg have been doing similar stuff for yonks.  The guitar business is all so incestuous; limited designs and everyone copying everyone else.  In reality, no one is producing anything that's really unique and for that reason it's disappointing.

When was the last time anyone really saw a production instrument, that bucked Fender or Gibson designs, that was new and truly head turning?  Kubicki Ex-Factor?  Maybe a Spector NS2.  Something by Status?  Steinberg?

Yeah but its not a Jazz Bass in the true sense. When was the last time you saw a Fender Jazz with a Stingray pickup in that position.? How is it going to sound like a P Bass (under that pickup cover) in that position anyway.? Im just saying for Fender its a bit Leftfield. 

There are only so many things you can do with an Electric Bass, radically new bass design is just a pipe dream when it comes to an instrument like the bass, its all been done imo.  The last radical design on the bass was a Dingwall. but since then its just minor tweaks..  I do wonder if on some Piano forum there are people moaning because makers aren't doing something radically different or groundbreaking with the piano.. ?

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've had numerous conversations with other bass players (and geetarists) about what draws them to particular instruments in the first place. 

It is surprising how many times you read/hear the comment, 'Ooh, that looks nice,' and the lust, the need, the craving for ownership starts from there, a wanting that kicks in without any perception as to what the instrument will play or sound like.  I've been there (from the first time I saw Overend Watts with his white Thunderbird and Johnny Thunders with his Junior) and I've worn several t-shirts, but my desire to own my first Thunderbird was driven simply from the association and way it looked; I had no idea how it (or the dozen or so that followed) would sound or play.  I got lucky.

Absolutely. Everyone raved about the first wave of Fender Fleas, and a pretty high percentage then sold them. Those dopamine pathways in our heads are telling us we're going to feel so much better when was have the new bass, but they stop saying that the moment we get it, which is when the cognitive dissonance starts kicking in! Strikes me that if fender thought an MM PUP in a Jazz Bass body was a good idea they could have done it a long time ago, without waiting for Flea to suggest it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

When was the last time anyone really saw a production instrument, that bucked Fender or Gibson designs, that was new and truly head turning?  Kubicki Ex-Factor?  Maybe a Spector NS2.  Something by Status?  Steinberg?

How about a British made GUS G3 or G5 bass? Ever so slightly different and head turning :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Absolutely. Everyone raved about the first wave of Fender Fleas, and a pretty high percentage then sold them. Those dopamine pathways in our heads are telling us we're going to feel so much better when was have the new bass, but they stop saying that the moment we get it, which is when the cognitive dissonance starts kicking in! Strikes me that if fender thought an MM PUP in a Jazz Bass body was a good idea they could have done it a long time ago, without waiting for Flea to suggest it. 

26 minutes ago, walshy said:

I had two made by Jon Shuker to my/his specs. And both were/ are for sale on here. Incredible basses! Shell pink is outstanding!

E42A1099-371E-49E0-848B-5B15850AC14D.jpeg

DF442155-9D13-4EF9-A56F-8230E7272289.jpeg

I rest my case :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Beedster said:

27 minutes ago, walshy said:

I had two made by Jon Shuker to my/his specs. And both were/ are for sale on here. Incredible basses! Shell pink is outstanding!

I rest my case :)

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Basschat solved. 

Stop saying it like it is! 

13 hours ago, walshy said:

The pink one is lovely.

I'd still send it back to Shuker to have the treble side cutaway deepened though so I could reach the 22nd fret!

On 21/06/2018 at 13:09, Beedster said:

Does make me laugh, I wonder what Sterling Ball thinks. Flea moves from EBMM to Modulus and gets them to essentially make him a Stingray (well, Cutlass), and them moves to Fender and gets them to essentially make him a Stingray. IME Fender make great basses (all two of them) but often pretty crap active circuits, certainly compared to those that go into Stingrays and Moduli. Interesting to see how this lands.....

If I recall correctly, he went to Modulus because he asked Sterling Ball to rename the Stingray bass, the Flea bass. Sterling said no...

9 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

If I recall correctly, he went to Modulus because he asked Sterling Ball to rename the Stingray bass, the Flea bass. Sterling said no...

Hmmm.  Not exactly right.  I believe he asked for a signature model, as opposed to renaming the Stingray!

I don't know what the situation was when Flea and Sterling Ball had their conversation but if you look at their range today they don't do signature guitars like most other guitar companies.

Music Man signature guitars are not based on other prexisting guitars in the range with a few tweaks here and there and a signature on the headstock, like, for example, most Fender sigs. Each MM signature guitar is a unique model in it's own right.

Edited by Cato

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Hmmm.  Not exactly right.  I believe he asked for a signature model, as opposed to renaming the Stingray!

I have heard that a few times too. In Sterling’s own words on the subject he said “it was about money” as well. Apparently he still uses them and was seen recording with a Sterling so he must still like them as instruments.

I thought he wanted a graphite neck for touring in different climates day to day? A combined deal with modulus at the time could have seen one of the most popular signature bass models ever made. 

Other than the brief use of the Jazz he's been using a variation of a Stingray live since 1984, Humbucker in the MM spot and an active circuit. 

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Whats the relationship between Jackson and Fender Andy.? Im obviously missing something.

Well...

Fender own Jackson.

aside from that, the discussion was heading towards “a jazz body with a MM pickup is a new direction”

Jackson in 1999 made a jazz shaped bass with a MM pickup (albeit 1/2 an inch closer to the bridge - rough guess, don’t quote me on that)

i do think this was prior to Fender ownership and at the time Flea was playing a Modulus.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well...

Fender own Jackson.

aside from that, the discussion was heading towards “a jazz body with a MM pickup is a new direction”

Jackson in 1999 made a jazz shaped bass with a MM pickup (albeit 1/2 an inch closer to the bridge - rough guess, don’t quote me on that)

i do think this was prior to Fender ownership and at the time Flea was playing a Modulus.

Its not a Fender Jazz. I think my post stands Andy. 😆

8 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I thought he wanted a graphite neck for touring in different climates day to day? A combined deal with modulus at the time could have seen one of the most popular signature bass models ever made. 

Other than the brief use of the Jazz he's been using a variation of a Stingray live since 1984, Humbucker in the MM spot and an active circuit. 

The graphite neck was the reason I heard as well but there is also a video somewhere deep in Youtube land where Flea is using a Precision live but I can't find it.

8 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Whats the relationship between Jackson and Fender Andy.? Im obviously missing something.

When CLF Research, who made Musicman instruments initially, were binned in the early 80s due to an arguments over quality it was Grover Jackson who built Musicman basses so there's your connection with Leo Fender 

On 23/06/2018 at 08:21, Delberthot said:

there is also a video somewhere deep in Youtube land where Flea is using a Precision live but I can't find it.

I've seen that, it's early days RHCP and I think it's purely because he bust a string mid song. He comes out playing crazy fast slap on a P and it sounds pretty darn good.