Why become a member? ×

Focusrite Control Help

Danuman

I’m having a big problem...

My new focusrite Clarett arrived today, so after a long day I decided to run the setup. My weekend starts tomorrow so I thought it’d be nice to start recording right away when I get home.

Alas. Being a good boy, I downloaded the control software before hooking up the system. After the install a reboot was prompted, and that’s as far as I got. Now my laptop will no longer boot up - not even in safe mode.

Any suggestions? 😬

boot the machine into Single User mode by starting it up and holding down CMD+S at the chime till you see a black screen with a bunch of white text.

Wait for that to finish loading and then type fsck -f (the space is deliberate) this will force the machine to do a full check of the disc architecture and run fixes.

Wait for the process to finish, it'll either say "Mac HD look OK" or Mac HD was repaired" or something like that if it says OK, type sync;sync;sync;reboot and press return. The machine will reboot and hopefully work.

If it say repaired, run the fsck -f command again until it says OK.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danuman said:

Thanks @WinterMute

I’ve tried that, but it doesn’t return any problems. Apple help desk wasn’t able to help me any further either. Hopefully I can salvage some of my stuff, but it looks like I’m going to have to do a reinstall.

Is your OS up to date? Focusrite Control is on a new version I think.

That’s the first time i’ve ever heard of that happening! As you can imagine, there’s not a great deal going on with the software, it contains the driver and ability to route signal in different ways through the Clarett, it’s not asking for any in-depth system or boot permissions etc.

Now’s it’s all reinstalled etc, everything working ok?

Si

Hi Si,

Yes. Thank you for asking. I suppose it was a bit of an outlier really... I can only guess, but verbose mode did point up a bad driver. Possibly nothing directly to do with the control software, but - whatever it was - it even caused the fail-safe applications to malfunction...

Luckily, after messing about with some parameters I managed to copy enough stuff to feel ok taking a chance on replacing the OS. Thankfully, that ended up working out absolutely fine.

Anyway, I’m still trying to wrap my head around my first real Focusrite experiences (my heart skipped a few beats the past couple of days) but it sure sounds every bit as good as I hoped. :)

3 hours ago, Danuman said:

Hi Si,

Yes. Thank you for asking. I suppose it was a bit of an outlier really... I can only guess, but verbose mode did point up a bad driver. Possibly nothing directly to do with the control software, but - whatever it was - it even caused the fail-safe applications to malfunction...

Luckily, after messing about with some parameters I managed to copy enough stuff to feel ok taking a chance on replacing the OS. Thankfully, that ended up working out absolutely fine.

Anyway, I’m still trying to wrap my head around my first real Focusrite experiences (my heart skipped a few beats the past couple of days) but it sure sounds every bit as good as I hoped. :)

Well yeah I bet, sorry you had some problems. Take a day to decompress (no pun intended), and crack on having some fun :)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah as Si said, it's not an intrusive bit of software and a driver, that's all.(In fact for Apple it's not even a driver, I think?)

I love Focusrite products, just recorded my band live with my Scarlett 18i20, really really happy with the results :)

Here's a great tutorial on using Focusrite Control, I found it useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlooITi3Eg

• Thanks 1

I’m enjoying it so far. :)

On the whole, the software seems very intuitive to me. I found everything I need pretty much where I expected it. Just not quite sure what to make of those circular routing icons that sometimes pop up. Can I do anything with those, or do they just confirm settings?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Danuman said:

I’m enjoying it so far. :)

On the whole, the software seems very intuitive to me. I found everything I need pretty much where I expected it. Just not quite sure what to make of those circular routing icons that sometimes pop up. Can I do anything with those, or do they just confirm settings?

Am on the move and can’t quite picture what you mean, got a screenshot?

Si

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Danuman said:

Below is what I was referring to earlier. I'm really not quite as bright as I may look, but in the meantime I did manage to figure out when and why this pops up. :)

Thanks again @Sibob for the helpful replies!

image.thumb.png.37b43505c8b02a23fb6f3d3110d5872c.png 

Ah I see :).

Yes as you’ve probably worked out, this is your straight software playback from master 1-2, and if you want to build different types of monitor mixes, you select ‘Custom Mix’ from the dropdown under each output on the left :)

Si