Why become a member? ×

D'addario NYXL's - Liking These!

spongebob

May be a little late to the party on these, but I bought a set last week (45-100), and fitted them to my US Geddy Lee Jazz.

Wow! They are really excellent. I used to use the standard XL strings for some years, but the last few, I've been using Fender flats.

Tried some Fender nickels on the bass, and they just didn't cut it. Did some research.....looked at DR....lots of various materials/compounds, but stumbled across the NYXL's.

Fitted them last week, and the bass was transformed. It was great before, but these have made it take off - love the tension, feel, balance, can't fault them at all.

They feel really nice of the fingers, quite soft - I'm assuming they'll be kind to the frets as well, feeling like they do!

Not the cheapest, but if anyone is considering a set, give them a try. Definitely feel a league above the 'standard' XL....and the packaging is awesome as well!

Well done D'addario. You've won me back! 😁

• Like 4

On 20/06/2018 at 18:35, spongebob said:

May be a little late to the party on these, but I bought a set last week (45-100), and fitted them to my US Geddy Lee Jazz.

Wow! They are really excellent. I used to use the standard XL strings for some years, but the last few, I've been using Fender flats.

Tried some Fender nickels on the bass, and they just didn't cut it. Did some research.....looked at DR....lots of various materials/compounds, but stumbled across the NYXL's.

Fitted them last week, and the bass was transformed. It was great before, but these have made it take off - love the tension, feel, balance, can't fault them at all.

They feel really nice of the fingers, quite soft - I'm assuming they'll be kind to the frets as well, feeling like they do!

Not the cheapest, but if anyone is considering a set, give them a try. Definitely feel a league above the 'standard' XL....and the packaging is awesome as well!

Well done D'addario. You've won me back! 😁

Welcome back to the family!

• Like 1

On 22/06/2018 at 15:44, thisisswanbon said:

What is the tension like compared to the D'Addario Nickels?  Love the feel and tension of those strings, but had a dead E string after 1 gig, the A is on it's way out 3 gigs in and the tuning stability has taken a nose dive :(

The NYXLs are slightly lower tension than the normal nickels.

My usual XL165 strings are - 42.52, 48.35, 45.34, 38.08 (G,D,A,E)

The equivalent NYXLs are   - 40.28, 47.06, 44.58, 36.96 

At this time of year I am not surprised at the rate that your strings are dying - we've played some really hot gigs and almost had a set go on me after 1 pretty short gig but putting it into perspective, I bought 8 sets in December 2016 and I am on set number 7 now. That is using the same bass for rehearsals and wedding/function gigs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/06/2018 at 18:19, Delberthot said:

The NYXLs are slightly lower tension than the normal nickels.

My usual XL165 strings are - 42.52, 48.35, 45.34, 38.08 (G,D,A,E)

The equivalent NYXLs are   - 40.28, 47.06, 44.58, 36.96 

At this time of year I am not surprised at the rate that your strings are dying - we've played some really hot gigs and almost had a set go on me after 1 pretty short gig but putting it into perspective, I bought 8 sets in December 2016 and I am on set number 7 now. That is using the same bass for rehearsals and wedding/function gigs.

Yep not surprised either, I played at a jam night the other night for a few songs and the heat was just ridiculous, the sweat was just dripping off my hands, a couple of gigs/rehearsals/events like that and I would expect my strings to die pretty quickly

• 2 weeks later...

I have a massive issue with my body chemistry deadening strings quickly, and was luckily given some bonus D’Addario player circle points to try the NYXL strings.

Despite not being marketed as lasting longer than any other strings they have massively more life in them than any other uncoated nickel strings I have used over the years.

like someone else mentioned they are beautifully packaged and I love getting a little sticker as a bonus when your spending a good chunk on a set of strings. 

Mom currently deliberating more or going back to Elixir but it’s a tough choice.🤔

On 04/08/2018 at 15:24, NJE said:

I have a massive issue with my body chemistry deadening strings quickly, and was luckily given some bonus D’Addario player circle points to try the NYXL strings.

Despite not being marketed as lasting longer than any other strings they have massively more life in them than any other uncoated nickel strings I have used over the years.

like someone else mentioned they are beautifully packaged and I love getting a little sticker as a bonus when your spending a good chunk on a set of strings. 

Mom currently deliberating more or going back to Elixir but it’s a tough choice.🤔

Glad it was a good experience!

You are right, we don't market them as a longer life string but the majority of people (including myself) find they last much longer. The reformulated alloy is less corrosive to start with which certainly helps, but the real deal-maker is the strings retain their overall brightness for much longer, so as long as you keep them physically clean and playable, they should sound fresh for a long time.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2018 at 12:33, bazzbass said:

are the NYXLs coated? how do they differ from XLs?

XL user since 1979 but am experimenting lately, Chromes, Rotos, D'Addario Half Rounds etc

Hi Bazz,
No they are not coated. There is lots of information floating around on NYXL but in a nutshell:

Reformulated 'NY Steel' core:
- Vastly improved tuning stabillity
- Retains bright tone for longer
- Crunchier tone with inherent boost at around 1.5 - 4khz (modernising overall tone)

Reformulated Nickel-Plated Steel wrap:
- Less corrosive / longer lasting
- Slight louder / more output

Thanks for your loyal custom over the last nearly 40 years!!

Adam.

9 minutes ago, D'Addario UK said:

Hi Bazz,
No they are not coated. There is lots of information floating around on NYXL but in a nutshell:

Reformulated 'NY Steel' core:
- Vastly improved tuning stabillity
- Retains bright tone for longer
- Crunchier tone with inherent boost at around 1.5 - 4khz (modernising overall tone)

Reformulated Nickel-Plated Steel wrap:
- Less corrosive / longer lasting
- Slight louder / more output

Thanks for your loyal custom over the last nearly 40 years!!

Adam.

cheers Adam, not one complaint in 39 1/2 years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 15:44, thisisswanbon said:

What is the tension like compared to the D'Addario Nickels?  Love the feel and tension of those strings, but had a dead E string after 1 gig, the A is on it's way out 3 gigs in and the tuning stability has taken a nose dive :(

Did you ever have any feedback from D'Addario about this issue? Or try the NYXL? I really like the EXL Nickels, but I'm having similar issues with them being dead out of the pack. I've never had QC issues with their guitar strings, but the bass strings... 🤔

I can't get a word back from them about it either. 

8 hours ago, M@23 said:

Did you ever have any feedback from D'Addario about this issue? Or try the NYXL? I really like the EXL Nickels, but I'm having similar issues with them being dead out of the pack. I've never had QC issues with their guitar strings, but the bass strings... 🤔

I can't get a word back from them about it either. 

No, as it happened I didn't. Although in fairness I didn't go to great efforts to complain about it. I mentioned it on here, Facebook bass pages etc but decided to switch brands. Dunlop super brights have been a budget friendly breath of fresh air; everything I had hoped for from the D'Addarios in excess.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 10:18, D'Addario UK said:

Glad it was a good experience!

You are right, we don't market them as a longer life string but the majority of people (including myself) find they last much longer. The reformulated alloy is less corrosive to start with which certainly helps, but the real deal-maker is the strings retain their overall brightness for much longer, so as long as you keep them physically clean and playable, they should sound fresh for a long time.

Yeah really great strings and I also love the whole recycling idea and the rewards scheme, genius! Just saving up for a new set which takes a while these days with a kid in the house 😄

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2018 at 09:46, D'Addario UK said:

I've now spoken with M@23. If you guys ever have any issues drop me a message on here.
If I don't reply it is because I am out of office (which is quite often) but I will reply as soon as I get back.

Adam.

Yep, spot on service. Many thanks 🏆🏆

I took the plunge on a set of these at the weekend. I've started playing in a band that both drop tunes and changes tuning during the set - I have a 4 bar drum intro to retune in - so the fairly high tension and claimed tuning stability was a selling point. First impressions are that they are noticeably smoother in feel than the Pro-Steels I was using before and the tension feels subjectively tighter when dropping to C# (a good thing). They also held tuning immediately - no need to wait and retune. Not initially as bright as stainless but very full sounding and much less fret rattle (which I'm assuming would also go for regular nickel strings - I've only ever played SS and flats). I'm entering a period of fairly heavy gigging and rehearsing with a couple of bands, so I'll be interested to see what the longevity is like in the hot and sweaty real world. Not cheap at all, but if they last, they could be a good way to go. Otherwise it'll be back to XL Pro-steels as the best compromise for the money

I love my NYXLs - I'd been using EXL165s prior to that which sounded and felt good, but then tried these and loved them.

I couldn't give you a direct comparison as they're on the same bass, so never played the two sets side by side. But they sound and feel great, and are still going strong after more than a year of admittedly only light playing with two gigs and a lot of rehearsing.

Would definitely buy them again tho.