Why become a member? ×

Affordable lefty P

rogerstodge

It's about time, really. Stuff competition though from the likes of Sire who'll give you a nicer looking neck (not headstock), five strings and and active electronics. Unfortunately have read that the QC on this new Mexican range is dire.

12 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

It's about time, really. Stuff competition though from the likes of Sire who'll give you a nicer looking neck (not headstock), five strings and and active electronics. Unfortunately have read that the QC on this new Mexican range is dire.

A Sire?? Ooh no thanks squire

12 hours ago, rogerstodge said:

A Sire?? Ooh no thanks squire

I get your point. They're cheap, good value, but there's billions of them about and in twenty years will my daughter want that handing in to her or a Fender? As soon as I saw the tidepool P with maple board I was immediately planning to get one and stick a j pickup in... Probably more costly that a Sire PJ 5 string but there's something about Fenders that draws you in (I've already got three fenders, two basses and a an electro acoustic guitar). 

22 hours ago, Rich said:

onemanband.jpg

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I get your point. They're cheap, good value, but there's billions of them about and in twenty years will my daughter want that handing in to her or a Fender? As soon as I saw the tidepool P with maple board I was immediately planning to get one and stick a j pickup in... Probably more costly that a Sire PJ 5 string but there's something about Fenders that draws you in (I've already got three fenders, two basses and a an electro acoustic guitar). 

The last thing I need is another bass but as soon as I saw these I wanted one, I can’t find any reviews as yet, where did you hear about “Dire QC”? 

You can order one after paying a 10% deposit which is returnable, so if you decide it’s not for you it’s not cost you anything.

There was a post on Reddit from someone claiming to work at a large US dealer, stating that about half of their consignment of Player series guitars had problems (badly cut nuts, sharp fret ends, dodgy pots). However, it has since been deleted, and other online reports are positive. 

I’m pretty sure I will get one of these, but I want to see one in a shop to get an idea of how they compare to the USA models. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/07/2018 at 18:36, sblueplanet said:

I also read a post about the poor quality of QC regarding these basses.  Best thing to do is find a store selling them and if no lefties explain you won’t be buy if poorly setup once arrives in-store.

find a store selling lefties? good luck with that

23 minutes ago, rogerstodge said:

I got this one, free next day delivery, I can’t find any fault with it

C123BC9C-4EA9-4643-B6B1-1D792B6EA2A7.jpeg

52986875-DC97-4747-AD78-15193C47ABC7.jpeg

36879A49-8B09-467E-9908-D1BF08A12624.jpeg

thanks for that,  I'm doing my best to resist, after all what's the point when you've already got a USA P? apart from all black with a maple finger board 😣

11 hours ago, rogerstodge said:

Good luck finding a MIJ lefty mate

They are about quite often but at "buy it now" they're stupid expensive and don't seem to sell. When they're auctioned off they seem to go too cheap... Auctions less common though.

12 hours ago, rogerstodge said:

, I can’t find any fault with it

Great news! But is it an improvement on the quality of past MIM Fenders? I know we only have the J to compare it to...

It's tough at the moment with so much competition in that price bracket, these need to be good!

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Guitar Guitar Epsom has one of the new line in...

It's a long way from Nottingham, I suppose Rattle and Drum at Derby might get them in, no lefty's at the moment but they do have this

https://www.rattleanddrum.com/fender-standard-precision-bass-in-lake-placid-blue.html

looks a bargain to me if you play the right way on

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2018 at 17:59, rogerstodge said:

Good luck finding a MIJ lefty mate

Fender's Japan operation has historically been far better than anything much sub custom shop at doing lefties (20% of Japanese folks - much higher than the global average of around 10% - are left handed, so it's a bigger market), but yeah, they're a fecker to actually find in Europe. Pity; I have a 2006 CIJ 71RI Tele and it's every bit the equal of the US guitars (only difference, really, is that t's poly rather than nitro, which is my preference anyhow). 

The necks on these look narrower than an old-school P-bass to my eye; are they doing that thing of putting J necks on a P body (a bit like the old Squier P Bass Special)? Good for me, if they are! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2018 at 17:06, EdwardMarlowe said:

The necks on these look narrower than an old-school P-bass to my eye; are they doing that thing of putting J necks on a P body (a bit like the old Squier P Bass Special)? Good for me, if they are! 

The necks on the player P bass are 42mm at the nut - same as a Standard P bass and a Musicman etc. They are definitely not Jazz necks. 

I loved the neck on my Squier PJ bass -  but I’m getting used to wider necks again with my Stingray and my Spector 😉

• Like 1