Why become a member? ×

What to pair with a P90?

Owen

I have a Chinese Fender Maurader. It has a P90 in the neck which I like. It has a triplebucker in the bridge which I do not like. I am not a guitarist so am clueless. I know I like two J pickups full on. Should I transfer this to this guitar and go for another P90 (in a humbucker case) so having 2 x P90s or should I get a nicer humbucker? Whatever it will be will come from Catswhiskers pickups. Bear in mind that I have a bass with 2 J pickups and one P pickup in it with an East Uni Pre with extra switching to use all coils individually and I only ever use both J full on so the whole subtelty of different tones is not one I chase.

TIA

I've got a guitar with a Seymour Duncan fat cat at the neck and a SD JB at the bridge, not a suggested combo from seymour but it works surprisingly well (i'm a total JB addict though, got them in 2 guitars and another one in the drawer for the next guitar.) 

i've had my eye on a Phat Moggy for a while now, if the fat cat hadn't popped up cheap on ebay then that would be what i bought, the catswhisker pickups are very tempting, have you considered emailing him and asking what he'd suggest?  it might be worth having a coil tap switch as well for the humbucker (you might be able to coil tap the current pickup if it's got the right wiring.)

I have discussed it with Mr Catswhiskers who initially suggested a Classic 5 Humbucker (http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/humbucker.html). I asked about the suitability of a dual P90 set up and he suggested the Fat Moggy. I am sure either would work and I would be more than happy with either. Thanks for being part of my stream of conciousness thought process. I will have the Fat Moggy.

• 3 months later...