Why become a member? ×

Would like some advice regarding Octave, synth and other pedalboard building things

BenR24

23 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

Oh you meant the Cog t16, sorry I was talking about an Octamizer

Octamizer also has an older model. Identical innards. If you want to use right-angled cables you’ll need to new one. Identifiable by “DC” instead of “DC IN” on top and a flat screw for the battery drawer as opposed to the knob. 

1 hour ago, BenR24 said:

ok so would the t16 fair up well against the mxr BOD, Octamizer etc?

Actually when I asked last there was a 6 week wait or something but i'd need it soon.

I preferred the T-16 sound but BOD tracked way better for me.

T-65 and T-16 have the same circuit. There appeared to be some residual bleed for the former’s octave up circuit. If you want full-on synth then the octave up is useful. 

2 hours ago, BenR24 said:

Hi,

so ive been waiting patiently for sometime now, do you think it’s worth just buying a manta full price new? 

thanks,

Ben

If you really want one soon, I guess you may need to. They do come up but sometimes it takes a while. Apparently they’ve been discontinued (along with the whole Soundblox 2 line) according to Nathan Navarro of Source Audio so maybe the new price will drop once they introduce a replacement.

Have you got a wanted ad up here too? I’ll keeo my eyes peeled for one. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

If you really want one soon, I guess you may need to. They do come up but sometimes it takes a while. Apparently they’ve been discontinued (along with the whole Soundblox 2 line) according to Nathan Navarro of Source Audio so maybe the new price will drop once they introduce a replacement.

Have you got a wanted ad up here too? I’ll keeo my eyes peeled for one. 

Ooooh, that's quite big news about SA Mantas becoming discontinued. 

The last one that came up for sale was back in March on the forum, so it's been a while I agree. But if you put a 'wanted' add up then you may be able to flush one out. Also check the Bass Players market (and put an ad on there) 'cos stuff comes up on there that is not posted on BC and vice versa.

@Quatschmacher is right that there may be "end of line prices" available if buying new, although no guarantee that second hand values will also fall once they cease to be produced - it really does depend on what they are replaced with. DOD Meatbox and Boss OC2 would be two good examples. I wouldn't be surprised if the Manta ends up getting cult status; let's face it he and @GisserD have been through more pedals in the last year, between you, than the average bassist will get through in a lifetime and the Manta has survived in both their arsenals! 

I'll definitely be holding onto mine :) 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Ooooh, that's quite big news about SA Mantas becoming discontinued. 

The last one that came up for sale was back in March on the forum, so it's been a while I agree. But if you put a 'wanted' add up then you may be able to flush one out. Also check the Bass Players market (and put an ad on there) 'cos stuff comes up on there that is not posted on BC and vice versa.

@Quatschmacher is right that there may be "end of line prices" available if buying new, although no guarantee that second hand values will also fall once they cease to be produced - it really does depend on what they are replaced with. DOD Meatbox and Boss OC2 would be two good examples. I wouldn't be surprised if the Manta ends up getting cult status; let's face it he and @GisserD have been through more pedals in the last year, between you, than the average bassist will get through in a lifetime and the Manta has survived in both their arsenals! 

I'll definitely be holding onto mine :) 

I was mainly referring to the new price potentially dropping.

I’m guessing they’ll replace it with one of the bigger One Series style pedals which has presets and a rotary encoder. 

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m guessing they’ll replace it with one of the bigger One Series style pedals which has presets and a rotary encoder. 

Or alternatively SA OFD ---> SA Aftershock style change to a more compact box?

But presets are definitely welcome by anyone involved in live performance, for sure.

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Or alternatively SA OFD ---> SA Aftershock style change to a more compact box?

But presets are definitely welcome by anyone involved in live performance, for sure.

I hope they wouldn’t go that small. I was thinking of something like the Ventris. Though you might be right. That’d be a step backwards, I feel; having direct access from the front panel is wonderful. There’s precedent though, since they’ve already done something similar. 

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I hope they wouldn’t go that small. I was thinking of something like the Ventris. Though you might be right. That’d be a step backwards, I feel; having direct access from the front panel is wonderful. There’s precedent though, since they’ve already done something similar. 

You need to bear in mind what key drivers are for the gigging bassist: these include availability of presets and being able to get something more compact that does the same job is also worth a lot, not least in that it allows space for other pedals; there is a value attached to pedal board real estate!

I've not felt that the SA Aftershock is in any sense a backward step from the SA OFD; au contraire in fact.

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've not felt that the SA Aftershock is in any sense a backward step from the SA OFD

I do. Not knowing which drive model is in use at any point is frustrating. Yes there’s more variety but only one preset. I agree that having presets is great and when using the hub it’s pretty easy. However, at the point of creating presets I need things to be easily accessible so as not to interrupt my creative flow. I found the Aftershock a hinderance in that regard.

That being said, it is a fantastic pedal, just not for me.