Why become a member? ×

Would like some advice regarding Octave, synth and other pedalboard building things

BenR24

11 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

ok great thanks! I do also have a few BODs for sale near me do you reckon they're a good shout or a different beast?

They are different but there’s some overlap in the sounds they can create. I’ve owned both and I ended up keeping the BOD and selling the Octamizer. The BOD is the tightest tracking octaver I’ve played and is incredibly good value. I found the Octamizer a bit sluggish sometimes in its tracking whereas the BOD never misses a beat. For me, feel is also important.

Aside from the above, maybe one more thing I'd add is chorus. It adds movement and depth to an otherwise static synth sound. I tend to use either filter for funky bass lines, or chorus on pretty much everything else. Not essential tho. 

Also, of your playing solo or over a sparce arrangement,  reverb can add an extra dimention to the sound.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenR24 said:

Is there any other core pedal types that are useful to increase the creative potential of playing which would fit in a band setting (usable). Or just pedals that are essential to have on a board? 

A phaser, but if you get a Manta then you’ll have that covered. 

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Source audio hub allows you to save and recall 127 scenes on all SA pedals.

128 actually, plus the two hardware presets. Definitely get a hub if you’re getting a Manta (there’s no difference, other than cosmetic, between the Soundblox V1 and the Neuro).

54 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

Ok, it’s not essential though is it from the get go? I’m not sure if I’ll have much more disposable cash after buying these other pedals to buy one.

Not essential I suppose but to be honest I wish I’d got one way sooner as I lost a bunch of presets I liked because I wanted to save others I was working on. Having the hub takes away that problem. It also allows the use of a regular expression pedal, which can be mapped to any parameter; this means you can vary the sound of a preset easily. 

Going back to the octaves, how about a Cog T-65, I've always wanted a Cog pedal cause they sound great, or would the T-16 be enough? Or is it worth the extra money to get the higher models?

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate all your advice!

Ben 

3 hours ago, BenR24 said:

Going back to the octaves, how about a Cog T-65, I've always wanted a Cog pedal cause they sound great, or would the T-16 be enough? Or is it worth the extra money to get the higher models?

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate all your advice!

Ben 

@Al Krow and I have both had both. And we both prefer the t16

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

ok so would the t16 fair up well against the mxr BOD, Octamizer etc?

Actually when I asked last there was a 6 week wait or something but i'd need it soon.

I went round the houses with octaves...and settled on the octamizer.

But the t16 was a great solo synth tone that tracked pretty well.