Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Mexican FSR 70's P Bass

Old Horse Murphy

I'm working in London for the next few days and "happened" to find myself wandering past the PMT Store in Clerkenwell at lunchtime. They had a very nice selection of instruments but the two that caught my eye in particular were the Fender Mexican FSR 70's Jazz and P Bass.

I have always scoffed at Mexican Basses because I am both ignorant and a bit of a gear Snob, but having recently purchased a Fender Flea Jazz, the scales have fallen from my eyes.

The Jazz was lovely and looked a million dollars. It also sounded like a super Jazz Bass with the 70's pickup spacing: a good weight too. The P bass however, was something else....

I've never played a bass in a shop with such a low, easy action. Finish was flawless and the sounds I could get out of it through a cheapish Fender combo blew my mind. It weighs less than 8.5lbs and the neck is gorgeous and for a flatwound addict, I will absolutely keep roundwounds on this as it plays so well.

The chap at PMT offered me a great deal and threw a set of strings in free of charge. I can neither really afford it or justify it, but have been looking for a backup for my main P bass to play is some of the less salubrious establishments in and around Bristol; andthis one fits the bill and may (may) even become my main gigging bass. They really are that good.

It's not a faithful 70's replica by any means and anyone who knows anything about 70's Fenders would see straight through this one, but it's close enough for Jazz and looking like a genuine 70’s P Bass was not the reason I bought it anyway.

If anyone is even remotely thinking about trying or buying one of these, I would say not to leave it too long as they really are stunners.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

That's a beauty.

The FSR 70s Precision and it's Jazz twin are just about the best looking models in Fender's current line up IMO.

Yours looks like a particularly fine example.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Hey Nick, snap. As soon as I saw a picture of one, the next day I drove straight to Guitar Guitar in Epson and within about 20 mins of playing had decided I'm buying. The setup is perfect like you say although I lowered the pickup height a little as I tend to dig in and whack the strings on the pickup poles. They are amazing basses and the quality is as good as my 75 AVRI Jazz. Interesting you got a Flea bass, I tried one and loved it as well.

Here is mine with my Fender Jazz 75 AVRI 😁

IMG_2852.jpg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Hey Nick, snap. As soon as I saw a picture of one, the next day I drove straight to Guitar Guitar in Epson and within about 20 mins of playing had decided I'm buying. The setup is perfect like you say although I lowered the pickup height a little as I tend to dig in and whack the strings on the pickup poles. They are amazing basses and the quality is as good as my 75 AVRI Jazz. Interesting you got a Flea bass, I tried one and loved it as well.

Here is mine with my Fender Jazz 75 AVRI 😁

IMG_2852.jpg

Phwoar, that’s a nice pair Michael. They look natural too! 😛

• Haha 1