Why become a member? ×

Stinger 2 band EQ ? East MMSR ?

fleabag

Got a jazz shape body,  and its been through some mods here and there, and not sure where to go with it now, as its been resigned to the cupboard

I had a think and decided maybe the way to go would be to fit a single MM  ( Warman UK  ) that i have lying around. The MM pickup has already been in a bass that i moved on

so i know how good the pickup is already, but the body is going to take some work.  Pup routs need filling, then the body needs sanding flat and veneering.

Its the preamp where the stumbling block occurs.  I guess my options are either a Stinger 2 band, or East MMSR 2 band.  There's a big price difference of course.

I've seen a photo of the Stinger guts, and it clearly showed that Chinese  copy of Elnea capacitors were used ( Kelnea ) so the rest of the pre maybe has cheap compenents too

whereas the East probably has much better quality components,  so anyone recommend either as an option ?  Are there other 2 band pre's that come close ?

Also interested - I have a lovely bass with a Bartolini MM and an EMG expander circuit (that I really don’t like much).  Thought about the Stinger, it appears to be a faithful but cheap copy...but does that make any real difference with small low power circuits?

I dont know enough about components to say about a difference - maybe  it doesnt have any difference on lower power circuits.

I had a read on some sites, including here, and  some say its good and some say it's not , with respect to tone.  Someone on ( cant remember where ) said bits fell off his Stinger, and another said he wired his in, then immediately took it out again.

The East MMSR is not a direct copy , as stated by John himself , but he uses good quality components, and his pre's are exceptional in build quality.  Hence the higher price.

I guess i'm leaning more towards John's pre - i've had a few of his in the past and they're the canine's cobblers. 

I dont know what's out there apart from the Stinger and John's MMSR - so it may be that i've only got 2 choices

Two other options would be the Sadowksy circuit, and the related Aguilar OPB1.  Neither are exactly copies of the Stingray design, but very much inspired by (the Aguilar being a later re-engineer by Alex Aguilar, who designed the Sadowsky).  I’ve got both in external box versions, and they are very good...but the on board versions are pretty expensive, especially once fitted. 

• 3 weeks later...

Let me throw in for the DIY 2 band Stingray clone preamp from Talkbass. There are a few versions, from straight up clone to quite a few component and layout upgrades. Relatively inexpensive as well. I especially like this guy's version: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/pcbs-for-diy-clone-2-band-preamps.737117/page-20#post-20882155

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

Looks like it's the money option. Delicate soldering is not my bag either     O.o

Nordstrand would be another option then, and G&L also sell one IIRC.

I figured that since you were contemplating DIY work on the woodwork you might also want to at least look into a DIY preamp solution. I think the last MM knockoff I built cost me less than $30.00. But electronics come easily to me and woodwork...nope!

• Like 1

On 13/07/2018 at 08:43, songofthewind said:

Would the Artec SE2-A preamp work for you? 25 quid from Thomann.

I put (ha, no. The bass doc put) one of those in an old Hohner Jack when the original died. With the caveat that it wasn't a Stingray it sounded great.