Why become a member? ×

My Nut's Just Gone Flake

SpondonBassed

I've just bought the Vinyl LP of Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake on impulse.  (For anyone in marketing, the sleeve made the sale.)

I wasn't familiar with the album as a whole so when I got to Side Two it blew me away.

Side one ends with the classic single Lazy Sunday.  Turn the album over and Stanley Unwin takes you for a fanciful ride as he narrates the Small Faces version of an original fairy tale about a boy called Happiness Stan.  The tale unfolds over the entire second side in six tracks with Stanley (mis)guiding you through the story in a way that you think you understand but; do you really?

He starts the tale with the words: "Are you all sitty comfibold two-square on your botty?  Then I'll begin..."

Masterpiece!

• Like 3

Think I read somewhere that the 'Small Fakers' tribute are doing the whole of the album on tour as its an anniversary year and got Stanley Unwin's son to record the narrative parts for them which is a nice touch.

Edited by KevB
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KevB said:

Think I read somewhere that the 'Small Fakers' tribute are doing the whole of the album on tour as its an anniversary year and got Stanley Unwin's son to record the narrative parts for them which is a nice touch.

Has Unwin the younger got the gift?

Me too. Had the vinyl ( what a cover that is - and then you look inside the cover - officer )

Then bought the round tin CD.  It had a great pull out , all concertina'd , and about  6 beer mats that were a copy of the face of the tin. Marvellous. Still got it

Love is like an 'ole in the wall
A line-up in the warehouse no trouble at all

5 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Had the vinyl ( what a cover that is - and then you look inside the cover - officer )

I don't think the 2018 sleeve is quite the same somehow but it still won me over.  I want to be the phantom sheet whistler when I grow up.

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I've not seen the modern sleeve

It's not a fold out and there isn't even a track list.  Nicely minimalist for the times I suppose.  I think you get a better offering with the deluxe version but I am a tight git as well as a miserable one.

57 minutes ago, discreet said:

I thought this was a clever techie title about bass nut failure or some such. Tsk! Great album, though. Iconic, I think the word is...

Gotcha!

But yes, it's nuttier than a squirrel eating Topic bars sat on a hundred weight bag of castellated nuts.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Deep joy .

- Also seek Harry Nillson's " The Point " album .
A version of the cartoon featuring the songs had Dustin Hoffman narrating , another had Harry's pal Ringo .
This version seems to be narrated by someone else :

Similar plots , in that the subject undertakes a journey of discovery .... 

• Thanks 1