Why become a member? ×

New Player Series Buttercream P Bass!

discreet

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Nah, for Bedroom Noodler insetr Custom Shop, lol

Oh dear, I feel the same. Recently I bought an Elite Precision but frankly, as a weekend warrior, I don't feel worthy to be playing it in public. One thing I'm not.....is Elite. 

• Haha 1

On 19/06/2018 at 13:00, CameronJ said:

Sign me up for anything in Tidepool. Beautiful colour!

Agreed! Close to Ocean Turquoise, but not quite...looks superb with the maple neck. If I didn't have an OTM Jazz I'd get one of these just for that colour :)

• Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 10:55, discreet said:

Just when I thought I had bass GAS under control, Fender release this... Buttercream, Maple... OMG, GAS! GAS! GAS! 

And of course, when you inevitably sell it on here, you can claim that it "plays like buttercream"... ;)

• Haha 2

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:41, nash said:

also I like the sage green. 

Although prefer jag basses with jag control plates. 

Sage green was an old MIM colour from the early 2000s and wasn't that popular if I recall, but I had a Jazz in that colour and when I sold it 3-4 years ago, folk were going daft for it.

Got to say, I really don't like all these variations of Jag bass that don't have the full set of Jag switches and control plates. That big expanse of plastic guard just looks cheap.

Edited by Jono Bolton

On 20/06/2018 at 11:20, Meddle said:

Quite a damning post has appeared on Reddit:

Do NOT order the new Fender Player Series guitars, especially not online.

This is interesting to read as this is coming from somebody in retail. You or I might play the odd good or bad bass or guitar from this line, but this guy is playing several dozen! Oddly enough some of what is posted sounded familiar to me. I recently bought a 2017/18 Mexican PJ Mustang bass with a Pau Ferro fretboard. The nut slots are inconsistently spaced (the D is closer to the G than it is to the A), the fret ends were a little sharp and the fret slots weren't filled nicely below the tang of the fret. This had the effect of lacquer sinking into the fret slots leaving holes along the edge of the fretboard. On a rosewood board they skim the fret slots with some sort of filler.

As reported on Reddit, the electronics were also cheap in my PJ bass. Those 3-way switches have caused a bit of bother for a few players, and the quality of wiring and components is average at best. The volume pot had a steep sweep to it, meaning that everything happens from 8 to 10 on the dial. The wiring scheme also wasn't the smartest; they should have rewired them as Telecasters and maybe used a lower value capacitor.

Interestingly, the Reddit post has been deleted, and the user account too. 

24 minutes ago, Meddle said:

The guy on Reddit has pulled his post. Another Reddit user trawled his history and discovered he's basically a kid with his first job in a guitar shop, and who is also a massive Gibson fanboy. 

Duh! Of course, Gibson QC is fantastic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/06/2018 at 10:55, discreet said:

Just when I thought I had bass GAS under control, Fender release this... Buttercream, Maple... OMG, GAS! GAS! GAS! I'd stick a black guard on it (of course) but even so it's unlike Fender to produce a colour combo that I actually like. Dammit! They're £649 or thereabouts, too...

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/precision-bass/player-precision-bass/0149802534.html#start=1

Player-P-BASS.jpg

Stick a B-W-B pickguard on it and there's my dream bass right there

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Mansons guitar shop yesterday in Exeter, they have a buttercream precision in the show room, which I decided to try out based on reading this a few days earlier.  It is very nice indeed, sometimes I find it hard to keep in mind the latest retail price of fender basses, in my head a US standard still costs under 1k... this however for £650 is definitely worth the money in my opinion.  It was very light, sounded really great and had a wonderful neck profile. 

• Thanks 1

From my understanding the wood on the neck have changed from rosewood due to the protected status adding £70 feeds , so the neck's are a lighter shade. might be why they decided to revamp the bodies ( Alder wood 2/3 piece? ) . Pickups changed and hardware updated abit? 

Im still trying to work out the best option as I keep looking at Swamp Ash tobacco stained, Black guard with maple neck Jazz's... :/ . bit hard to find a Jazz in that range where a kidney doesnt need sold :/