Why become a member? ×

New Player Series Buttercream P Bass!

discreet

I’ve noticed a mistake. On the Jag bass page. The bass had a normal top loading BBoT bridge but then the specs/features section shows a hi-mass string thru bridge. 

I looked again. It’s only the Sonic Red that shows the hi-mass bridge. All colours are the same price. 

4 hours ago, cattytown said:

Can't decide if I prefer the Sonic Red, Buttercream or tidepool.

Sonic Red? Blasphemy!! Next they’ll be releasing a Fiesta Blue ;)

Great looking range though in all seriousness!

Si

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Briton said:

Looks very similar to the spec for the Standard (which is why I am wondering what has changed other than the name). Not that there's anything wrong with the MiM Standards, damn fine basses in my opinion.

1 minute ago, jezzaboy said:

The P bass is £50 more expensive than the Standard. Gotta admire Fender for their sheer brass neck. There are some reports online of dodgy qc with the 6 string guitars.

Ah, well if it comes with a brass neck, that's a big difference from the old fashioned wooden one that the Standards sport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Looks very similar to the spec for the Standard (which is why I am wondering what has changed other than the name).

Yes - after the initial flush of GAS, I'm considering refinishing one of my existing basses in buttercream (or similar) as that seems to be the crux of my excitement and enthusiasm. The requisite colour will cost me around £20 in materials and nothing for my time. You can't argue with a saving of £629. Sorted! :biggrin:

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, discreet said:

Thing is, when they do rip up the rule book everyone hates it and accuses them of ignoring their 'core values' and 'traditional customer base'. So they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

Absolutely... As a company they are between a rock and a hard place. As a personal observation I wish they’d stop launching classic designs as new models but then I get that it is business and this is how to survive.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Quite a damning post has appeared on Reddit...

That's an interesting read! I don't want to be too negative as I haven't checked out the Player series personally, but it may not be a great idea to buy one online unseen and untried, or at least have a very close look at the T&Cs if you do...

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

Have to admit from a marketing point of view it makes more sense to not have both MIM & US "Standards". I think Professional & Player are pretty clear, though maybe it should have been Professional & Weekend Warrior perhaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

...the naming is to make people want to stump up the extra cash for the US models. Do you want to be a Player or Professional ?

Could be that, but a lot of professionals I see rock up with Squiers.

Edit: And anything that has the tag 'Professional' applied to it inevitably turns out not to be so...

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1