Why become a member? ×

Anyone recognise this melody? SOLVED

BassTractor

There's this earworm in my head of what must be a glorious composition. I only remember it partially, and maybe not very well, but the harmonic machine that seems to work underneath is right up my alley. I do have a firm idea as to the composer and the period, but don't want to lock your brains into what might show to be the same mistake that I'm making - - seeing as I still just can't get my head around it.

I've tried Musipedia in different search formats, without result.

BTW; in order to get you the notes, I wrote them down in a primitive Musipedia notation software. If anyone knows of a better, free, way to show other people a musical idea or similar, then please give me a tip. The Musipedia thing is just about good enough for this question, but not for much more. I've thought of scanning a sheet with hand-written notes, but I can't do that right now in the middle of moving house.

Thanks for any help!

bert

Ygm2i31.png

Edited by BassTractor

2 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Is in in 3 or 4, and where is the first beat? Hard to read without bar lines!

Just copied into Sibelius and played it back but I don't recognise it.

Thanks for the response!

It's in 3 and starts on the first beat. You see, the way I read it back after writing it down, to me it commanded a certain meter, but that may well have been because I have the melody in my head.

I tried adding bar lines in Paint, but the end result seemed little better than the above, so I went away from that again.

Thanks for trying!

(...and indeed, it isn't Sibelius. 😂 )

4 hours ago, ikay said:

If it's in 3/4 something's not quite right after the dotted minim/crotchet rest 

It's as 'right' as one wants to hear it, I'd say. I popped it into GP7 'as is', and accented the 'one' of each bar (in 3/4...), and it sounds fine. To me, it benefits from a higher tempo than the default 120 (I preferred 240...). Here's my rendering of it; I added the last, resolution, note ...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help guys! :thank_you:

"Three Lions" it is then! 😂

Thanks especially to @Dad3353 for the Soundcloud thing. With the exception of the resolution note, which shouldn't be there as there is either a rest there or a longer e (and then the harmonic magic develops further - but with notes I can't be sure of), this was a true representation of the music, which should be at a tempo around 90 to 120.

As to Mozart, I don't think it's him. In my head it resembles Bach a lot more in harmonic development and some style bits, and Bach has stayed in my head all the time, but it has a melody that I feel hard pressed to count as a Bach melody. Then again, it might just be Bach after all, and I don't know my Bach as well as I think I do.

BTW, part of me struggling with Musipedia may be that I may well have invented some melody details, or have taken some from later in the composition., seeing as that these details don't matter. I'll give Noteflight a go. Thanks, @pete.young.

Edited by BassTractor

Solved! 🙂 

Before registering on Noteflight, I called my mother, and "sang" it to her.

"I hear it in French", she says after filling in the rest of the melody for me. Then, after some more singing and thinking, she continues: "Cent mille chansons", and after a pause says "Frida Boccara".

My mom is 86 years old, and claims she hasn't heard this song for decades, but used to love it back then. She was also in a choir singing Bach cantatas and the like.

Wonderful. I love this stuff.

BC to the rescue again! Er... sorry, mom!

Mom to the rescue again! 🙂

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

BTW, just listening to the song, it strikes me how its composer left all Bachian possibilities to the left. Weird to think that in my head it played out as a Bach-like arrangement.

I gather that's how we humans create false memories, but OTOH it's reassuring to know that the un-Bach-like details gave it away, as I always taught Bach to never arrange like that!

Edited by BassTractor

On 19/06/2018 at 11:13, Yank said:

Makes me think of "Jesu,  Joy of Man's Desiring" by Bach.  Could it be some pop ditty inspired by Bach a la "Whiter Shade of Pale"?

Just in case you didn't see the answer, you were spot on, Yank!

Thanks, BTW.

12 hours ago, floFC said:

Very impressive from your mom, but what about you? When was the last time you heard that song and why do you think it came back to haunt you like that?

Wouldn't know, but since you say "haunt", it is now my informed guess that the last time I heard it was the day in early August 1982 that I met my wife-soon-ex. 😂

Seriously though, I have no idea whether I've heard it since the early seventies. May well have, but couldn't say. I've never owned it, that's for sure. With this arrangement, it's not for me. The coming back thing seems unrelated to anything, and may well be something the brain just does. 

BTW, I noticed "my version" was wrong in a note length (the low f sharp in the middle is 5 beats instead of 2), but that doesn't matter for searching using the so-called Parsons Code, which is what I did. Either the song isn't in their database, or I used a wrong letter somewhere.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 13:46, pete.young said:

You're welcome - I spelt it wrong, its www.noteflight.com .

Ooh! I've not heard of that one. I've been using Guitar Pro 7 but have been meaning to give the (free) MuseScore a go - Adam Neely I notice recommended this recently so all the more reason for me to actually try it after having the app installed for..well.. probably a year ha! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking for something easy to use.

Without the budget it is unlikely to happen, but I do really want to try out Steinberg's Dorico, which is already in to it's version 2 release. The adverts look like it might be a great app, but possibly way more than the average punter needs.

13 hours ago, dood said:

Without the budget it is unlikely to happen, but I do really want to try out Steinberg's Dorico, which is already in to it's version 2 release. The adverts look like it might be a great app, but possibly way more than the average punter needs.

If you do try Dorico (there is now a demo version), it is worth trying the demo of ‘Note Performer’ with it.

Realistic articulation playback and It really does bring you scores to life (feel & soundwise).

Articulation & Dynamic markings control the CC#'s/Velocity etc.

https://www.noteperformer.com/

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1