Why become a member? ×

Steinberg XT25 vs Hohner B2

Woodinblack

I have a Hohner B2 (no other letters, passive, twin humbuckers). It is red and tatty but it sounds pretty good and plays well. I don't really use it that often but I take it to every gig as a backup. Problem is that it is a 4 string and I realised that I play a 4 string so rarely that the other day when I tried I messed up quite a bit, so as a backup it is not so great!

There are the occasional B2Vs around, but I keep forgetting and not getting them. However, a new XT25 is only just over 300 and as B2s go for 200, it isn't much to upgrade it.

Some people say that the XTs are made pretty much the same as the B2s, and some people say they are not as good.

Anyone got experience of whether there is a material difference (apart from the string count!) between the two?

Yeah... don't bother with the latest version XT25 - low quality is an understatement. Pickups are weak, body shape is just wrong compared to the B2, and fit and finish is laughable. I bought a four string Spirit XT online and it went back the same day it arrived. Complete rubbish. That's the current batch.

If you can get a slightly older XT25 then it might be worth it - you'd need to look for something the same vintage as the Spirit XZ series of bodied/headless basses so, I guess around 2012-13 (maybe even earlier... can't quite find a reliable date at the moment...). I think the pickups tended to be squarer, and may or may not be branded. You won't find one with EMGs that's for sure, pickups might be branded "Spirit" in their script style lettering, if it's "Steinberger" then that probably indicates a later model (to be avoided). They also used quite rounded off pickups for a while... they're kind of low output but not too bad.

As you can tell, going by the pickups is a bit difficult. You really need to look at the body shape - the latest ones are just more squared off, slightly broader "shoulders" compared to older XTs and the B2s. The transition from the neck to the body is also rougher, not quite so refined on the latest versions - just doesn't look (or feel) as good.

Personally I would absolutely hold out for a Hohner B2V as it will be head(less) and shoulders above the Spirit, particularly if you can get an active with EMGs in it.

Edited by anzoid

Just looked back through some photos and my older Spirit XT did have EMGs... so that's probably the version that is worth looking out for. The XT25's pickups were unbranded and quite rounded off compared to the EMGs of the four-string.

As I remember it the sound was pretty good, but the pickups weren't high output by any means.

I no longer have either bass :(

Edited by anzoid

As a small aside, I swapped the pups on my passive B2V for Aguilars - made it sound a bit richer and less 'honky'.  But it wasn't a cheap upgrade considering I use it solely as a small back up bass and possibly not worth it unless you use it a lot.

On the other hand - I have an XT-2 with pickups marked "Select, designed by EMG" and they sound great.  Maybe it's the amp/cab I use or maybe how I play, but I've no complaints about how my XT-2 sounds, plays or with the build quality.

I made a strap button extender from carbon fibre, which improved the playing position greatly and now I gig it occasionally when stage space is at a premium or I'm going to a gig on the bus.

And it was cheap to buy (used) as well. :)

Frank.

On 18/06/2018 at 21:25, Woodinblack said:

I have a Hohner B2 (no other letters, passive, twin humbuckers). It is red and tatty but it sounds pretty good and plays well. I don't really use it that often but I take it to every gig as a backup. Problem is that it is a 4 string and I realised that I play a 4 string so rarely that the other day when I tried I messed up quite a bit, so as a backup it is not so great!

There are the occasional B2Vs around, but I keep forgetting and not getting them. However, a new XT25 is only just over 300 and as B2s go for 200, it isn't much to upgrade it.

Some people say that the XTs are made pretty much the same as the B2s, and some people say they are not as good.

Anyone got experience of whether there is a material difference (apart from the string count!) between the two?

I have the active version of the Hohner, the B2A and much like yourself I wanted a five string paddle bass.  I got a price matching deal from the then Digital Village and bought a new Steiny Spirit XT25.  It's passive.

I have always felt that the Hohner was a bit better somehow.  It feels solid and well finished.  There is nothing wrong with the Steiny but it feels a little rougher.  I really can't put my finger on it and I love both basses to bits.  The Steiny now has Stainless flats on which made the B a little tighter.  It's hard to get sets of five DBEs in flats.  I was lucky to get a set of Picato DBEs from a member here.

They're both fun.