Why become a member? ×

Fretless - Replace the fingerboard or replace the neck?

Seeing a couple of threads flying around about Fretlesses made me want to dig mine out and it reminded me of something I've always wanted to do. It's a Wolf Jazz Bass so it's not a particularly expensive bass but it is very unique looking (image is not mine but don't have it to hand right now) and the fretboard is one of the things I think is important on a fretless.

I also really like the neck profile and feel so I don't want to mess with that.

Question is: How hard/expensive is it to get a new lined board put on it? I can see an ebony board costs around £40 or less

Obviously it's very easy to get a replacement neck but wondering if the new fingerboard will cost less than a nice new neck.

Any help is always welcomed

Ta

Wolf.JPG

2 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Sorry, I didn't make it clear the bass I have is already fretless but the fretboard isn't as nice as other fretless basses I have seen/tried.

Ok, no worries.  What's the problem with the board, shape, colour, feel?  I know that the tech I use in Wakefield can do miracles with less than perfect fretboards - he showed me a very nice 'ebonisation' job he had done on a guitar when I was there a couple of weeks back.

4 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I know that the tech I use in Wakefield can do miracles with less than perfect fretboards - he showed me a very nice 'ebonisation' job he had done on a guitar when I was there a couple of weeks back.

Oh that sounds intriguing! I am up in sunny Scotland but didn't know a process like that existed. The fretboard is ok but like I said, the other fretless basses I have played just feel nicer to fret on and slide.