Why become a member? ×

If you can't Slap Mime and look cool

deepbass5

6 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I think that'll have been a live performance that was overdubbed with the recorded track, as was common with these old televised studio shows. 

Mmm, not sure about that. Not a drum mike to be seen etc. I always thought that Soul Train was a bit like TOTP ( who sometimes  used clips of ST when they couldn’t get USA acts into the BBC studios ) - bands would usually mime but feature a live vocal? 

4 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Miming to the original track. 'Soul Train' very rarely had anything live. Also, why would Herb wanna play the same duff note again? 😂 

(Louis Johnson playing Bass on the recording)

Didn't know LJ played on that - Brothers Johnson were signed to Herb's A&M though, as was their producer Quincy Jones.

22 hours ago, pineweasel said:

It's Abe Laboriel on the recording. Louis Johnson is on the Rise LP but not the title track: https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-track-rise-herb-alpert-426219

That’s an interesting read. I thought I read that LJ was the Bassist, but that was on Wiki, so not to be trusted I suppose.

Strange one, as it really does sound like a Stingray Bass as well. 

It does say Abe Laborial here as well.

https://forum.amcorner.com/threads/rise-herb-alpert.14758/

Edited by lowdown

5 hours ago, KevB said:

Is he actually a bass player? his body language looks like someone who's been given a bass at short notice and asked to fill in as its all mimed. Guitarist doing the 'how hard can it be' thing maybe ?

Come on, we all look like that, surely?! In our minds we think we're stood there cool as John Entwistle but really we look like that. Every last one of us.

Just me then?

I love the pigeon head whilst he slapping some parts it looks like he's slapping with his palm, I can't slap really and I even know that looks very odd and terrible technique

I find what is worse than this is when the likes of the x factor gets a 'band' on stage with the s**t singers amazingly they always have one lefty and one righty faking it!! Why not get some actual guitar/bass players to play live??  And not worry about how it looks!?! 🤬

Edited by Jimothey