Why become a member? ×

Basschat merchandise

jebroad

Just wondering if the basschat team have thought about selling t-shirts and such.

I would love to purchase any basschat related clothing and i'm sure may other users would too.

It may also be another source of income to help the the podcast idea.

• Like 1

We used to sell embroidered polo shirts and before that a run of T shirts too. However our embroiderer went bust so we removed them from the shop with a plan to find someone as good as soon as poss, but I haven’t yet! There’s very little money in them but it’s nice to have them to offer. 

Instead I think I’m going to look for sticker packs next, as I can store and post those myself. Polo shirts were drop shipped by the embroiderer but not everyone wants to do that. 

We were working with a few people to make basschat branded items in our shop such as black cables with orange sleeves but they went quiet and I haven’t yet been able to chase them up. Will work on this again over the summer. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ped said:

We used to sell embroidered polo shirts and before that a run of T shirts too. However our embroiderer went bust so we removed them from the shop with a plan to find someone as good as soon as poss, but I haven’t yet! There’s very little money in them but it’s nice to have them to offer. 

I find it hard to believe that there's not much money in merchandise T-shirts.

From my experience of doing them for the various bands I've been in, T-shirts are the easy money. A good design well executed in 1 or 2 colours on a run of 100+ garments selling for £10 each will make your money back before you've sold half of them. Just remember to get the size breakdowns right. No matter how many skinny hipsters you have in your audience the people who buy t-shirts are all L, XL or 2XL...

Certainly I've easily covered my costs with all the band T-shirts I've produced. I wish I could say the same for the music.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ped said:

We used to sell embroidered polo shirts and before that a run of T shirts too. However our embroiderer went bust...

A darned shame, as they were/still are excellent polos; I wear mine often, and it's still as good as new. Real quality stuff. I'm biased, perhaps, but I'd recommend going for quality stuff over stuff that just 'sells'. Just sayin'. B|

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

A darned shame, as they were/still are excellent polos; I wear mine often, and it's still as good as new. Real quality stuff. I'm biased, perhaps, but I'd recommend going for quality stuff over stuff that just 'sells'. Just sayin'. B|

My brother used to run his own company producing merch for bands. (He tells a story of Radiohead's tour manager phoning him up saying they needed 500 t-shirts in Madrid the next day. He did it.) He insisted on everything he supplied being top quality, and would turn down orders from bands who wanted cheap flimsy stuff. His view was that when peeps buy a t-shirt at a gig they're going to cherish it and the memories that go with it, they'll want to wear it to that band's gigs for years, and to sell them something that's going to fall apart or lose its print after three times through a washing machine would just be unacceptable.

Admittedly a BassChat t-shirt would probably have less emotional value and be easier to replace than one from the only time in your life you got to see your very favourite band 🙂  but the principle holds imho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, josie said:

...Admittedly a BassChat t-shirt would probably have less emotional value and be easier to replace than one from the only time in your life you got to see your very favourite band 🙂  but the principle holds imho.

A BC polo not cherished..? :swoon: Perish the thought..! He's right about quality, though. The '3 Elephants' festival tee-shirts would be seen year after year; I've still got mine from 'back then', although I couldn't squeeze into 'em now..! I wore 'em a lot, and our two boys often wear them, or theirs, over a decade later. There's a price difference, of course, and if running a market stall on a 'hit'n'run' basis, maybe more short-term profit in the cheap stuff. S'not the BC way, though, is it..? B|

• Like 1

My two bob's worth: would buy & regularly wear a £10 (+ p&p) t-shirt. Would need to be black.

Would not be seen dead, ever, in something as spectacularly naff as an embroidered polio shirt, regardless of the superlativity (is that a word?) of its quality.

So yeah, sell me a cheapshit BC t-shirt & I'll be happy. :D

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Written in the true spirit of a real Acronym Research & Selection Executive, whole quote may be read above ^^. :|

:lol: :P

Happy to  (sometimes, at least) do wot it says on the tin!

All a matter of personal taste - and I'm entirely aware of the fact I possess none. No offence intended!

• Haha 1

I'd buy a standard black t-shirt with the "BassChat.co.uk" forum header screen printed on it. (You know, fairly big across the chest, band t-shirt style) I'd part with £20 for that if it included postage.

Edited by Akio Dāku

Another vote for t-shirts, never been a big fan of polo shirts either, though maybe offer a couple of colours as well as black.

I ordered 100 t-shirts for an old band, and they turned out to be the only profitable thing we did. The unit cost was £4 for a single colour print on the front of the shirt (black), sold them for £8, gave a load away to friends, and still made a return on my investment.

I'd recommend talking to ShirtySomething in Nottingham, as the guy who owns & runs the company is also a bass player.

The BC header logo on black, blue & red shirts (adjusting the font colours to suit each shirt) should sell well, and make a some money to support the running of the site.

I'll have an XL please. :D;) 

16 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I am up for a BassChat tri-lobal posing pouch in orange and black.

Thanks. That's a whole bunch of nightmarish mental images that I simply cannot now unsee.
In ten years' time, I shall be lying on a psychiatrist's couch telling him about this moment.

I still have my old long-sleeved (black with grey sleeves) BC t-shirt with the 'old' logo. Really excellent quality garment, hasn't thinned or worn with age at all. I think it will outlast me. :lol:

I'd be interested in a polo as I could wear it to work -- my Wal polo is sadly too small for me now (or rather, I am too lardy for it). Something other than black though.

The polo shirts are/were quality. Although whenever I wear mine at work, my mates take the Mickey and refer to it as my "Quick Fit Fitter" outfit. But they are unrefined scumbags, so I don't heed their jibes :D

For merch ideas, I reckon fret wraps would also be a good option if you can find somewhere to custom-print them:

https://gruvgear.com/products/fretwraps

Edited by Skol303

Why not have a BC hi-res logo available for a paid download for the buyer to then make their own arrangements to their item preference and cost?

Yes, it takes away quality control, and to an extent it's open to abuse, though I like to think 99.9% are trustworthy here; but then it's up to the downloader as to whether they want to look cheap or not.

On 20/06/2018 at 15:25, Skol303 said:

For merch ideas, I reckon fret wraps would also be a good option if you can find somewhere to custom-print them:

https://gruvgear.com/products/fretwraps

OK, so the quality won't be the same as Gruv Gear but surely it will do the same job?

Wonder how you could embroider them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Electric-Guitar-String-Mute-Professional-String-Dampener-Muting-Accessories/263371825308?hash=item3d522f209c:m:mLCRvtAbwjCDjSJdx8LqMrA