Why become a member? ×

New Machine Heads for Aerodyme Bsss

Chienmortbb

: Not sure if this is the correct forum but I have been considering replacing the machine heads on my CIJ Fender Aerodyne for  some time. I could not find direct replacement lightweight machine heads from Hipshot, Gotoh or Schaller. The bass fell the other day and one of the original machine heads was bent. 

I tried a Gotoh GB350 Res-o-Lite in place of the the bent one to see if it would fit. The Aerodyne had black or smoked chrome hardware and the GB350s are chrome. My question is would it look stupid on a Fender Bass especially as it is the wrong style for the headstock. Should I fit the GB350s permanently, temporarily if is ther a better lightweight alternative?0A8C8682-8377-44D9-BC03-92FBC6B4B5AA.thumb.jpeg.a571735f35c1b9ace8fce61036c37e39.jpeg

19E1BDC5-5DBF-4CA5-9041-A1B8EF754E41.jpeg

Edited by Chienmortbb

Personally I would make a huge effort to find a better match. You might need a full set of four, which aren't cheap, but on a bass of that quality with such striking looks - I wouldn't skimp on my Aerodyne, and if I saw one with a different shape of tuners it would just scream "Wrong!" (Mind you, normal people wouldn't notice. 🙂 ) You could get away with chrome if they're the right shape, that's what mine has.

It might be worth looking for a good local guitar tech, as they usually have boxes full of odd bits and pieces, and you might just get lucky and find one of the right thing. If not, he or she will know the best sources of unusual spare parts. 

• Like 1

I suppose I thought that but was hoping someone would convince me otherwise. If I have to replace the machine heads, it will have to be with lighteright ones. So

i suppose I need to sell GB350s and find the closest ones to the originals. 

Thanks,

The Aerodyne is such a distinctive (and wonderful) bass that imho you really do have to keep the look as close to the original as you can.

Its only fault imho is that it does have a slight head dive, so lighter machine heads would have the advantage of reducing that.

Good luck!

I’ll be the controversial one, then!

As much as I love Fenders, sometimes I think the tuners look stupid. There; I said it!

A full set of “T” (or are they called “Y”?) shaped ones would look fine, but if the rest of the hardware is that dark chrome I’d look for replacements in that colour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’ll be the controversial one, then!

As much as I love Fenders, sometimes I think the tuners look stupid. There; I said it!

A full set of “T” (or are they called “Y”?) shaped ones would look fine, but if the rest of the hardware is that dark chrome I’d look for replacements in that colour.

I agree.

I swap Fender tunes (or ny stupid heavy big plate tuner) for Hipshot Ultra-lights. 

And because I'm REALLY anal about such things I go for the Y shaped ones because they are 2 grams lighter than the bigger ones.

On a 5 string bass - like my Ray 5 - I saved an entire half a pound in weight swapping to Ultralites. Might not sound much - but when it's all on the end of a long bass neck the difference is amazing.

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I would like to use the Gotoh’ GB650 in Cosmo Black do I will be selling the Gotoh  GB350s. 

I have friends I Japan so much be able to do a direct import as the GB650s are not available in the UK.

There's no GB650's on Gotoh's official site, I'm guessing you meant GB640's? If so, they are available in the UK here.

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/gotoh-gb640-res-o-lite-bass-machine-heads-nickel-4l.html?SID=4c2177c1b1f14f64fa4e389e117572de 

Just to be clear I was never going to have three original and one odd machine heads. If I went for it I would have changed all 4.

i have straightened out the bent one and it is now readonable. However I will replace them. A set of GB640 in Cosmo Black will set me back about £120 so it will have to wait until I have sold the GB350s.

• 1 year later...

Could not resist it so took off one of my machine heads and they are too big. 

I have two options, drill out the bass, if the strings travel is still OK or buy the right fecking ones. GB528 would have fitted in with minimal fuss. 

I will decide after I change my username to numpty. 

Ok I have checked and the GB640s will fit, if the holes in the headstock are drilled out to 17mm Current holes are 15mm. The real problem is how I can expand the holes without damaging the black paint on the headstock. 

The good thing is that the GB640s have a bigger footprint and will cover the holes from the existing machineheads.

I've done this many moons ago, on a Hondo copy of a bass who's name I can't mention here. I took the neck to work, masked the existing holes off. I used a pillar drill and drilled front to back, there was some slight damage around the edges, but the lips on the new ferules hid it quite well, the back fared a little worse as the drill pushed outward, but the base plates of the new machine heads covered that. 

I have now fitted the GB640s. I bought a 20mm tapered reamer to widen the holes. It is a tight squeeze but I am very pleased. I did ask Andyjr1515 for his advice and he advised using a crafty knife to scrape away the paint from around the hole  before reaming, ream and then widen the inside of the whole with a round file or multitool. .It worked well except I did scratch the headstock with the multi-tool. So what were the advantages and disadvantages?

The light weight is great but the real win is the smoothness of the Gotohs. In addition the size of the 640s mean the original fixing holes are hidden. Although the posts are much wider than the original ones, the strings still travel in a straight line from the nut to the machine heads.

The downsides? It is a lot of work.

Would do it again? Yes but I would have bought the Gotoh GB528s. There would have been no reaming, just new fixing holes and there would have been some existing fixing holes to fill. Of course there are some Hipshot Ultralites that may fit exactly.

image0.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

• Like 1