Why become a member? ×

What's my Double Bass worth?

GuyB

I swapped a guitar for a Double Bass on this forum many years ago, the link is here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/72702-german-mittenwald-double-bass-100-120-years-old/?tab=comments#comment-929041

I've kept it in a bedroom and occasionally wiped the dust off it with a cloth.

I know nothing about Double basses, I'm a guitarist.

So, what do you think it is worth?

Many thanks.

Guy

Double Bass Front 1.png

Double Bass Front 2.png

Double Bass Back 1.png

Double Bass Back 2.png

Double Bass Front 3.png

Double Bass Front 4.png

Double Bass Headstock 1.png

Double Bass Headstock 2.png

Double Bass Side 1.png

Double Bass Neck.png

Edited by GuyB
Added pic

Hi Guy,

hard to tell from photos. There are lots of factors that will obviously bring the value down, especially the non original top and the non-Ebony board, but if the sound is great and it’s solid, it may fetch a good price for a serious learner or a club player. I personally like those basses with little pedigree and a good sound which you can play happily without too many worries of a bump. You should really take it to a local luthier for an opinion, where are you based? There is a thread with lots of luthiers details in it, you may find one near you. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbie said:

Hi Guy,

hard to tell from photos. There are lots of factors that will obviously bring the value down, especially the non original top and the non-Ebony board, but if the sound is great and it’s solid, it may fetch a good price for a serious learner or a club player. I personally like those basses with little pedigree and a good sound which you can play happily without too many worries of a bump. You should really take it to a local luthier for an opinion, where are you based? There is a thread with lots of luthiers details in it, you may find one near you. Hope this helps.

I was thinking about putting it on ebay, but didn't know a starting price. It's been stuck in my bedroom too long, it needs to go............

Good morning, Guy...

I know little to nothing about db's and their value (I'm a drummer, so...), but I'd have thought that your 'starting price' would be roughly what the value was when you traded your jazz box, as seen in the posts for the original transaction. An easy test could be to place a 'For Sale' ad in the BC Marketplace, with such a value, and ask for offers. There have been many db's sold through through this channel; the cost of a single ad is a mere £7 (£20 for a year's Marketplace subscription...), and would attract the interest of a dedicated db-savvy public. Is that not an option..?
In any case, good luck with the sale, hoping this helps; meanwhile...
Have a nice day
Douglas

23 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good morning, Guy...

I know little to nothing about db's and their value (I'm a drummer, so...), but I'd have thought that your 'starting price' would be roughly what the value was when you traded your jazz box, as seen in the posts for the original transaction. An easy test could be to place a 'For Sale' ad in the BC Marketplace, with such a value, and ask for offers. There have been many db's sold through through this channel; the cost of a single ad is a mere £7 (£20 for a year's Marketplace subscription...), and would attract the interest of a dedicated db-savvy public. Is that not an option..?
In any case, good luck with the sale, hoping this helps; meanwhile...
Have a nice day
Douglas

Thanks, I've just posted it on the BC Marketplace for £1200.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/326260-double-bass-carved-wood/

I really think you should take it along to a builder or dealer and ask for a valuation.  They will often do it for free.

Be aware though that there is a HUGE difference between a "sales" valuation (which is what they would pay you for it) and an "insurance" valuation (which is what they would charge you to replace it).

It looks in good nick to me and if it sounds good too ... could be a bargain for someone (£1200 is what you'd pay for a decent laminated one), though you'd need to see it and play it first.