Why become a member? ×

2x12 Recommendations

tobiewharton

1 hour ago, stevie said:

If you're looking to save weight, choosing a driver that's too small to do the job and then using two of them makes no sense at all. 😛

If you have different playing requirements, from small and quiet gigs to loud and noisy gigs then the old way of doing things, ie having multiple stand alone rigs makes no sense any more.

Using smaller, more powerful, cabs to make up 1, 2 or even 3 cab rigs is a much more sensible and flexible way of doing things.

• Thanks 1

No need for multiple rigs or multiple cabs. A modern 15" cab will cope with virtually any gig and be as loud as you need on stage. What's not flexible about that? The only time you really need two, or even three cabs, is if your single cab is not up to it. Better buy one that does the job properly. IMO, of course.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

2x12, MUST BE: Transparent, featherweight, 4ohm, vertically aligned.

First of all, I would not use the word "transparent" as the cabinet colors the sound a lot. One and probably the most important reason for this is efficiency. Think about a hifi system, that needs to have as straight freq response as possible. They may have the efficiency in the ballpark of 0.01 % i.e. 100 amplifier watts equal 0.01 W of speaker noise and the rest (99.99 W !) will warm your house through speakers' voice coils. This happens, as the response has to be tweaked with components in the speaker x-over.

Now, a PA system (including bass and guitar systems) may have efficiency in the area of 1 - 2 % (and 98 - 99 watts warm up the club house). This is some 100 times more sound/volume/noise coming out from the system compared to hifi. Is it fair to compare f response of these two? Certainly not. So please, do leave the word "transparent" out.

If you are into technology at all, you probably already know that impedance does not actually matter volume-wise, as the volume difference between those two (4/8 ohms) is mostly negligible. In this real life a 4 ohm cabinet may produce LESS sound that its 8 ohm counterpart at high power levels but this is amp dependent: sometimes 4 ohms is just too hard for the power amp. So as a specification, is it a reasonable must? That's why I would write: 2x12, featherweight, vertically aligned, (adjustable tweeter optional).

One speaker suggestion to the list would be Italian Alusonic - and was Swedish TKS mentioned here?

http://www.alusonic.com/

http://tks.se/

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, itu said:

2x12, MUST BE: Transparent, featherweight, 4ohm, vertically aligned.

First of all, I would not use the word "transparent" as the cabinet colors the sound a lot. One and probably the most important reason for this is efficiency. Think about a hifi system, that needs to have as straight freq response as possible. They may have the efficiency in the ballpark of 0.01 % i.e. 100 amplifier watts equal 0.01 W of speaker noise and the rest (99.99 W !) will warm your house through speakers' voice coils. This happens, as the response has to be tweaked with components in the speaker x-over.

Now, a PA system (including bass and guitar systems) may have efficiency in the area of 1 - 2 % (and 98 - 99 watts warm up the club house). This is some 100 times more sound/volume/noise coming out from the system compared to hifi. Is it fair to compare f response of these two? Certainly not. So please, do leave the word "transparent" out.

If you are into technology at all, you probably already know that impedance does not actually matter volume-wise, as the volume difference between those two (4/8 ohms) is mostly negligible. In this real life a 4 ohm cabinet may produce LESS sound that its 8 ohm counterpart at high power levels but this is amp dependent: sometimes 4 ohms is just too hard for the power amp. So as a specification, is it a reasonable must? That's why I would write: 2x12, featherweight, vertically aligned, (adjustable tweeter optional).

One speaker suggestion to the list would be Italian Alusonic - and was Swedish TKS mentioned here?

http://www.alusonic.com/

http://tks.se/

Thanks for this. As you have gathered, I'm not technically-minded. My priorities are based on being able to hear myself in a variety if live settings, without resorting to in-ears (which I'm not wildly keen on) and hearing my bass and effects as I want them to sound, all at a sufficient volume. By 'transparent' I suppose I meant 'modern' sounding, as opposed to 'vintage' sounding.

Cheers,

Tobie