Why become a member? ×

Live performance - have analogue effects pedals had their day?

Al Krow

28 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

but I needed a bit more power and went with a sweaty great Crown amp into the Big Twin.

I nearly bought a Crown amp just for the big number, luckily the multiamp saved me. :)

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah ok. Well I have a lowly Zoom B3n & Zoom MS60B in terms of multi-fx and they should in no way be comparable to the quality of the MB Multi-amp. However from everything I've heard the new Line 6 Helix range, which came out last year, this is a bit of a revelation in terms of quality and if the Helix HX (which is more in my price bracket rather than the 'full fat' version) had aux in, headphone and DI out it would be on my board like a shot...

If you go onto the Helix thread and you might be surprised at the amount of love this multi is getting from some pretty knowledgeable BC pedal experts.

A lot can happen in terms of pedal quality improvements in 3 years; in fact, as far as product quality goes, I'd go as far as to say that improvements in pedal technology is happening at a faster pace than in any other part of the signal chain. Particularly when Leo Fender pretty much got his first P bass 'right', how much real scope was there to take things on from there when it came to basses? :)

Thinking about it (I do this occasionally, though it doesn't always help) the Multiamp is pretty long in the tooth now, so I shouldn't be surprised that other things are overtaking it. I've already decided that when it can't keep up quality wise, I'll switch to the ipad for everything, including live. Amplitube max just blows me away, you can make choices based on what you think the amps will sound like and you get the sound you want - ANY sound you want pretty much - really quickly.

In fact, by the time I get bored with the multiamp it'll probably all run on my phone, or we won't have phones any more.

I think the software and the hardware are converging more as well, so you can have a dedicated unit with pedals etc and a bit of resilience to have on stage, but work on presets and setup on a tablet or PC and then just load them up. I'm guessing some stuff already does this pretty well, but in future it will be the gear that has a good software interface as well as good sounds that wins.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

...but in future it will be the gear that has a good software interface as well as good sounds that wins.

Amen to good software interfaces, particularly for old skool semi-technophobes like me, who prefer to spend more time playing and less time programming! That's why I rave about ToneLib (btw - agree that the latest Zoom software has caught up, but that's only available for the B3n whereas the Tone Lib stuff works for older kit like the MS-60B and will soon also for the B3, if it's not doing so already).

I wonder how good Peppa 🐖 is at coding?

Edited by Al Krow

13 hours ago, adamg67 said:

I think the software and the hardware are converging more as well

That's a problem for some.

Feature bloat can be a bugger when your needs are simple.  It seems that no-one is bothered by it under the age of about fifty or so...?

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

That's a problem for some.

Feature bloat can be a bugger when your needs are simple.  It seems that no-one is bothered by it under the age of about fifty or so...?

Yes, those of us who are no longer 'prime cuts' are more likely to make a pig's ear of things. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Pork wah. Great name for a pedal.

Love it...hopefully it will be a really meaty product.

7 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Get on the phone to EHX! Actually, better yet, @Chownybass? If a Wah pedal is in the works any time soon...?

...but I think these guys may have some beef with EHX (or others) if they start down that route! 

image.jpeg.893df1741d8d8d68cc6a1da0c7960d2a.jpeg

Edited by Al Krow

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

..but I think these guys may have some beef with EHX (or others) if they start down that route! 

Surely a meat based feud in an Italian gangster style from a company that produces things with the name "pork" would be a prosciut-out? (As in shoot out, but with prosciutto in there.... I'll get my coat)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Get on the phone to EHX! Actually, better yet, @Chownybass? If a Wah pedal is in the works any time soon...?

Will happily consult on the design of a bass wah... I have already thought of the silly name for it. Perhaps a picture of a pig wearing a beret with a string of onions round it's neck would go well on the design?

An auto-wah version could be a "pork wah? Sausage machine"

Why aren't I in marketing?! This is gold dust!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

We're having a Skype meeting with Mr Chown this weekend.  I'll bear it in mind.

33 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Will happily consult on the design of a bass wah... I have already thought of the silly name for it. Perhaps a picture of a pig wearing a beret with a string of onions round it's neck would go well on the design?

An auto-wah version could be a "pork wah? Sausage machine"

Why aren't I in marketing?! This is gold dust!

Remember where you read it first.  I'll grant licence for the usual fee.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

We're having a Skype meeting with Mr Chown this weekend.  I'll bear it in mind.

Remember where you read it first.  I'll grant licence for the usual fee.

I'm going to be seeking a finders fee for owning the pig that started all this, just saying...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DBerriff said:

Thank you for this discussion. It has prompted me to take a look at the Helix offerings and they do appear to be rather good.

You're welcome, what we're here for right? And I'm with you in wanting to give the Helix (HX in my case) offerings some serious further consideration.

I agree that there has been a LOT of very helpful and considered comments on this thread (as well as more porcine stuff and the left field prospect of budding marketing careers being launched).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

I'm going to be seeking a finders fee for owning the pig that started all this, just saying...

I'd check with whoever represents the Pink Floyd brand if I were you.  We could both be on very dodgy ground.

Why couldn't you have gone with something like this?:

Spoiler

RollingStonesLipsSculpture.png.4fc98e8240eee894e37da84f80cdb13e.png

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

...but I think these guys may have some beef with EHX (or others) if they start down that route! 

"...after several days' exchange of evidence, EHX's lawyer summed up her case for the prosciutto. The judge then allowed the jerky to retire, giving them 12 hours to come to a unanimous brisket."

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

"...after several days' exchange of evidence, EHX's lawyer summed up her case for the prosciutto. The judge then allowed the jerky to retire, giving them 12 hours to come to a unanimous brisket."

I ham unable to hear that for all the crackling in the background.  I see you have beefed up your case somewhat however.

On 22/06/2018 at 09:22, CameronJ said:

Follow-up.

We spoke with Mr Chown on Skype yesterday for the podcast.  I asked about the Wah pedal and he hadn't any plans for one.

So as not to take the wind out of his sails, all I will say is that he has a small range of pedals in mind with a surprise extra as complement to that range.

Edited by SpondonBassed