Why become a member? ×

New Fender MIM Player series replaces Standard

Gottastopbuyinggear

1 hour ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Explained in this thread - someone from a US retailer was trashing them on Reddit, but they deleted the post.  Conspiracy theory anyone? 

From the other Player Series thread...

On 21/06/2018 at 20:11, Meddle said:

The guy on Reddit has pulled his post. Another Reddit user trawled his history and discovered he's basically a kid with his first job in a guitar shop, and who is also a massive Gibson fanboy. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 14:41, bassix said:

Tried these out today and managed to compare the Jazz with the Mexican standard. All were nicely finished and the new pickups did sound nicer to my ears. Satin finish on the neck did feel somewhat different though.

Weight different at all? or just neck wood? 

This should be progressing according to the script. Fender are digging themselves out of the financial hole they are in. To do that they have to draw a line under the "old" Fender product lines and start anew. These basses are supposed to be "better" than the old ones. I assume that means they have taken notice what customers have been saying and addressed any QC and build issues and looked around and finally seen what the competition are doing and are incorporating the best and most useful bits into their basses. Of course this means they will be more expensive. The market place will decide if the extra cost is covered by the "improvements" being made to the instruments. Bass players moaning and thinking that cheaper instruments was the was to go was what got Fender into this mess in the first place. I'm hoping Fender makes it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2018 at 12:35, chris_b said:

This should be progressing according to the script. Fender are digging themselves out of the financial hole they are in. To do that they have to draw a line under the "old" Fender product lines and start anew. These basses are supposed to be "better" than the old ones. I assume that means they have taken notice what customers have been saying and addressed any QC and build issues and looked around and finally seen what the competition are doing and are incorporating the best and most useful bits into their basses. Of course this means they will be more expensive. The market place will decide if the extra cost is covered by the "improvements" being made to the instruments. Bass players moaning and thinking that cheaper instruments was the was to go was what got Fender into this mess in the first place. I'm hoping Fender makes it.

Oh so not just the price fixing that they are being investigated for? ....  Improvements on a 3 piece body, crap metal parts and build quality where you can slide a thick envelope though the neck joins? - all for £600+ . No thanks. 

1 hour ago, Chaddy said:

Oh so not just the price fixing that they are being investigated for? ....  Improvements on a 3 piece body, crap metal parts and build quality where you can slide a thick envelope though the neck joins? - all for £600+ . No thanks. 

I thought my post was pretty clear. The only way Fender is going to dig itself out of it's hole is to use these new lines to address "unhappy" customer experiences with previous products. I don't know the problems you mention, but if the reality is that Fender are still employing people who can't be bothered to set up a CNC machine properly then they are still in big trouble. If they don't get it right this time then IMO it's curtains for Fender.

As far as I can see, the price fixing thing is an investigation to see if there should be an investigation, and not what my post was about.

On 16/06/2018 at 19:37, thegummy said:

That yellow p bass looks so much nicer than any of the current mim standard models!

Agree

I got this one last week. Plays just like any other P. Has a good rounded sound, haven't found the dead spot yet. Lowered strings to my taste and no fret buzz etc, intonation bob on. Pickups seem just fine, but slightly quieter than my USA 60th P. Tuners are quite ok.

£619 from PMT Manchester on price match. Doesn't come with a gig bag, but they gave me a used one to get it home, as I am a 'frequent flyer' with them. Bought a white pearloid scratchplate to replace the plain white one.

DSCN8872.JPG

USA 60th anniversary P that I mentioned.
Scratchplate also swapped out from white.

fender-p60rescratchplated.jpg

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Hmm, odd really. Sometimes BD are mega cheap on used gear, other times they’re not far off retail...

Yeah I’ve noticed that too. It’s a bit of a lottery! Just means folk like us are on the edge of our seats constantly refreshing the website in case a nice deal pops up - this being a good example.

• Like 1