Why become a member? ×

New Fender MIM Player series replaces Standard

Gottastopbuyinggear

Just popped into PMT in Cardiff to kill a bit of time while Mrs Gottastop was buying clothes and I spot a rather nice looking MIM “Player”Jazz in butterscotch with maple neck and spaghetti logo.  Apparently the Standard series is no more and this is the replacement.  £649 if I recall correctly.

Had a quick play - felt pretty nice and I love the looks.  Sadly the Fender website doesn’t seem to be working properly yet, but you can see the sunburst version: https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/player-jazz-bass/0149902500.html#start=1?clickref=1101l4Q4nMtf&aff_id=10l1110 

Much prefer the spaghetti logo.

Can't comment much on the sound as I only had a quick play and I couldn’t get on with the little Ashdown combo I was going through.  Oddly enough not only has this not helped my gas for another Jazz, but it’s rekindled my gas for a Sub Ray 4 - I’d just tried one and been put off by a particular quality to the tone that I didn’t like, and then having tried the Jazz I realised it wasn’t the bass that I didn’t like the sound of, it was the amp...  

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Hmmm, the cynic in me says pretty much the same basses, differnet name, higher price tag, a bit like what they did with the US Standard/Professional tagging. And I`m a Fender fanboi.

I agree - Player Series sounds much more inviting than Standard and warrants the higher price tag just for the clever marketing alone  😃

There used to be a MIC Player series a few years ago

Edited by Delberthot

Thats about £100 up on the old standard model.

Don't get me wrong, personally I think MiM instruments offer the best value in the Fender range in terms of quality vs price, but I can't really see what extra bang people are supposed to be getting for their buck over the old model here.

1 hour ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Sadly I think I’d pay fifty quid extra for the spaghetti logo alone...

Me too, the spaghetti logo is just right. But there again that's the problem with being a Valley Boy Fender Fanboi. (Merthyr valley where Man started! )

I don't understand why Fender are replacing rosewood boards with pau ferro.

There are much nicer dark wood alternatives. I saw a Squier Mustang Bullet with an Indian Laurel board the other day and it looked so nicer than the orangey, streaky pau ferro Fender are using on their midrange guitars.

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Hmmm, the cynic in me says pretty much the same basses, differnet name, higher price tag, a bit like what they did with the US Standard/Professional tagging. And I`m a Fender fanboi.

Spot on Lozz. Why do some of us bass players fall for it every time. And I like Fenders!

Whatever the reason, and I realise there are many, these Mexican Fenders are a shocking price compared to what they were a few years ago. They have squeezed my lemon for the last time!

(But I reserve the right to buy a Mustang PJ but the price of these has dropped £50 🤨).

Edited by jezzaboy
Double standard line added

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Hang on, does this mean there's going to be a general end of line sale like there was when the American Deluxes and USA standards were discontinued a few years ago?

Sh!t, someone hide my wallet.

I hope not. I bought a brand new MIM standard P bass from PMT three weeks ago and paid full price. I'd be gutted if they dropped the price now.

I like Fenders, but this just seems a case of some new colours and putting a spaghetti logo on the headstock instead of the cheap looking black one and increasing the price tag.

The only difference I can see is the claim that the bodies are hand finished to original specs, so basically you're paying a bit extra for someone to sand bare wood.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Some of the new finishes look nicer than the the 'Pro' range! 

I saw one over on TB, a new limited edition MIM that was (I think) Ocean Turquoise/Tort. It looked the dogs' danglies! 😍

Got a link? That’s one of my favourite colour combinations 

Tried these out today and managed to compare the Jazz with the Mexican standard. All were nicely finished and the new pickups did sound nicer to my ears. Satin finish on the neck did feel somewhat different though.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bassix said:

Tried these out today and managed to compare the Jazz with the Mexican standard. All were nicely finished and the new pickups did sound nicer to my ears. Satin finish on the neck did feel somewhat different though.

I've heard reports of QC issues on these, doesn't sound like you found any fault?