Why become a member? ×

BassChat Podcast Q+A (Question Submissions)

Akio Dāku

As folk might be aware, we're putting together a pilot episode for a BC podcast and for one of the segments we're going to do a Q+A. 

Please post any questions you'd like to throw at us in this thread and we'll try our best to answer as many as we can. (Questions with the most "Likes" will get priority) 

Because this is the pilot episode I don't want to put any real parameters on acceptable questions other than they have to be Bass/Music related, just go wild and we'll see what happens. At the very least we should get a good giggle out of me and @SpondonBassed trying our best to act like we know things haha! 🤣   

• Like 1

Seeing as the recent thread on playing with a pick became pretty popular and interesting, how about discussing that, with sound samples?

There are plenty of other threads too where peeps are describing differences in sound, and having actual audio would be a real advantage.

Even something as basic as comparing the characteristic sound of a P and a J, and explaining why they sound as different as they do, and suit different types of music. (And therefore why almost all Fender bands play either Tele and P or Strat and J.) It never hurts to hear simple things that you sort of know, explained well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, josie said:

Seeing as the recent thread on playing with a pick became pretty popular and interesting, how about discussing that, with sound samples?

There are plenty of other threads too where peeps are describing differences in sound, and having actual audio would be a real advantage.

Even something as basic as comparing the characteristic sound of a P and a J, and explaining why they sound as different as they do, and suit different types of music. (And therefore why almost all Fender bands play either Tele and P or Strat and J.) It never hurts to hear simple things that you sort of know, explained well.

I think that would make an excellent feature.  You can find all sorts on YT illustrating the differences in tone from changes in the control settings to the differences in pick and fingerstyle sounds.

With our podcast being audio only it removes the distraction of the talking head.  The sound samples speak for themselves.  We should look at doing some A/B samples in a controlled environment such as a recording studio with a Basschat version of The Stig - free of charge preferably...

StigOnBass.png.9cc6a9cd5675ce9608c68e83ece950d6.png

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Norris said:

Do you really need any other bass than one Precision? :)

It's a good question.

However, I'd rephrase it so as not to give the impression that it is the only bass in the village.  For example, why is the Fender Precision so popular?

Does that cover it?

• Like 2

Hey guys, really looking forward to this Podcast! I currently listen to the Practical Bass Pod which is great, but it'll be fantastic to have a pod from this side of the pond at last.

My question is based on my own experience when, pretty much overnight, my right hand technique was taken to a completely different level when 3 finger plucking added to floating thumb clicked. It was an almost instant transformation and from that moment, totally changed how I play.

So, what have you guys learnt that's had the biggest impact on your playing? Doesn't have to be technique, could be gear, strings, strap length... anything really! 😁

Cheers Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the  pick vs finger style idea..

I'd also like to hear something on or like;

a) applying some fundamental music theory, e.g. modes/scales, into a gigging band situation

b) playing fretless bass (or Db)

c) Top 10 gigging tips for weekend warriors

Having said that, there's so many good ideas around already, it'll be great !

Is the audio quality of the Podcast going to be able to do justice to the subtleties of things like the difference between playing with a pick and finger style? Also are solo bass samples really appropriate generally? Unless you a strictly a bedroom player, it all depends on how the instruments sound in the mix, and that is going the vary from band to band.

So how about a discussion on the futility of chasing your favourite bass player's tone?

Edited by BigRedX

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Is the audio quality of the Podcast going to be able to do justice to the subtleties of things like the difference between playing with a pick and finger style? Also are solo bass samples really appropriate generally? Unless you a strictly a bedroom player, it all depends on how the instruments sound in the mix, and that is going the vary from band to band.

So how about a discussion on the futility of chasing your favourite bass player's tone?

How about linking that to a bigger discussion about GAS and tone chasing in general? GAS is a common ailment round these parts.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

This ^^, with the addition of two more, very important factors: the equipment used for listening in (ear-buds..? Car stereo..? Full home hifi..?), and the biggest of them all: the nerdiness of the listener. Those expecting 'absolutes' from a BC podcast (or BC in general, or the interweb, or even Life itself...) are likely to be underwhelmed. For anyone else: relax and enjoy. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That's a very good point.

Since I last commented I've come around to thinking that this would have to be a special feature set aside from the regular casts.  It would take a deal of setting up and a lot of people are already doing it on YT.  As said elsewhere, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I appreciate everyone's comments so far but remember this is a thread to collect some questions for a Q+A style op-ed segment in the cast. 

This great example of what we're after;

7 hours ago, StevieE said:

Hey guys, really looking forward to this Podcast! I currently listen to the Practical Bass Pod which is great, but it'll be fantastic to have a pod from this side of the pond at last.

My question is based on my own experience when, pretty much overnight, my right hand technique was taken to a completely different level when 3 finger plucking added to floating thumb clicked. It was an almost instant transformation and from that moment, totally changed how I play.

So, what have you guys learnt that's had the biggest impact on your playing? Doesn't have to be technique, could be gear, strings, strap length... anything really! 😁

Cheers Steve 

Little-known makes that deserve to be better known? (Speaking as a hard-core lover of GMR basses 🙂 - I wouldn't swap any of my three for a Maruszczyk any day.)

Now that I've thought of it I'll start a thread in Bass Guitars.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, josie said:

Little-known makes that deserve to be better known? (Speaking as a hard-core lover of GMR basses 🙂 - I wouldn't swap any of my three for a Maruszczyk any day.)

Now that I've thought of it I'll start a thread in Bass Guitars.

Cheers Josie.  It'll be a help to the podcast team down the line.

On 16/06/2018 at 12:55, Norris said:

What IS the best bass for metal? ;):D

I thought I'd better get that one out of the way!

Love the idea of as BC podcast. And joking aside, I actually think this is a good question to tackle...! It brings up lots of discussion around "image vs instrument" and would likely get a shedload of interested from musicians outside of the forum if promoted correctly, which is always useful.

So this gets my vote.

• Like 1