Why become a member? ×

25” scale carbon fiber neck thru midget

jebroad

I’ve decided to finally do some pwoper vacuum bagged carbon fiber lovelyness. This is a 25” midget that I’ve started to build. I intend on using a though neck wrapped in carbon fiber and vacuum bagged. The fretboard will be glued after the carbon fiber and will finish after the 24th fret rather than my original ideas of it going through. 

9D235F79-9929-4605-98EA-B26CD805D71A.jpeg

F9F5CD69-B112-48EA-A4BF-F73CC642229C.jpeg

9FF0D88A-C203-4756-AC8B-90B1377DBD09.jpeg

9 hours ago, jebroad said:

Some progress!! Neck and neck template roughly cut and carbon fiber and vacuum utensils arriving tomorrow 

DA6C19B9-1B03-494E-9C7C-5BC1B1DA8A4A.jpeg

It's getting exciting.

Would MDF work with a CF wrap I wonder?  It's probably not great under compression across the "grain".

27 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's getting exciting.

Would MDF work with a CF wrap I wonder?  It's probably not great under compression across the "grain".

It probably would, I’m considering making some bamboo laminate with epoxy and 20mm bamboo strips, if dried right they’re stronger than ebony (and also sustainable)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jebroad said:

It probably would, I’m considering making some bamboo laminate with epoxy and 20mm bamboo strips, if dried right they’re stronger than ebony (and also sustainable)

I hear good things about bamboo laminates.

Also, @Christine is considering using Rocklite for the fingerboard on a build.  The two together ought to earn some eco-geek points.

• Thanks 1

I asked this question of Enfield/Sims basses but they didn’t bother to respond:

Does wrapping a wooden core in carbon have the same benefit of a full composite neck? Will it move/need a truss rod? As far as I know some carbon necks have a different material in the core. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ped said:

I asked this question of Enfield/Sims basses but they didn’t bother to respond:

Does wrapping a wooden core in carbon have the same benefit of a full composite neck? Will it move/need a truss rod? As far as I know some carbon necks have a different material in the core. 

The benefit is very similar there’s a one piece carbon fiber bass build on talk bass that I’ll hunt for in the morning. 

The method for a full composite one piece carbon neck is this: Make a plug, make a mold from it, lay up 4 layers of CF in it, take it out, if using a truss make something to hold it and adhere it inside the carbon neck shell, fill the hollow neck with a poly based foam and glue a fretboard. 

The only structural difference between this and what I’m doing with MDF is the core. 

As MDF is a stableish material it won’t move much and due to the carbon reinforcements the truss is only needed if you want to fine tune your relief. 

The full carbon neck (as long as the same amount of layers of fabric is used) is the same strength but much lighter due to the poly foam core. This also only needs a truss for fine relief adjustments.

In short, there’s not much difference apart from weight 

Edited by jebroad
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, ChunkyMunky said:

Over a year later, it's still really inspiring to see. :)

I’m a master of timely projects. Coincidentally, I’ve just made two new iterations of a headless version of this design. Maybe this time I’ll get round to the whole finishing the project thing.