Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Guitar advice

Rikki1984

Hi guys, 

A friend of mine is planning to learn guitar and have asked for my help to buy an acoustic.

They're willing to spend a max of £100 and are happy to buy 2nd hand. 

Have you got any advice on brands to look at? I was thinking the likes of Yamaha, Cort and Ibanez but that's mainly based on my knowledge of their basses and electric guitars so would appreciate advice. 

I'm going to be trying out the guitar before buying. 

Thanks in advance. 

At that price point you really need to get down to your local musical instrument retailer and try everything your friend can afford. The usual suspects will be a good starting point but there's always a chance that there will something in stock that you've never heard of before that turns out to be a bit of a hidden gem.

Also you'll get a much better guitar at that price if you don't buy one with a built-in pickup/electronics.

• Thanks 2

I don’t think you can go wrong with Yamaha. I’ve played a few of their budget acoustics and I’ve always been impressed with them . I’m doing up a battered FX310A at the minute and the action is great on it. That said, I agree with BigRedX - try out as much you can and go for something that sounds decent and isn’t going to give your friend blisters on their fingers within half an hour. I think if you get one that feels and sounds right...then it’s the right one for you, regardless of the brand. 

• Thanks 1

I'll echo the yamaha recommendations, also worth looking at aria and freshman, and definitely go for a straight acoustic with no electronics, you'll get far more for your money. Secondhand is the way forward too. 

• Thanks 1

Bit late to the table here, but the "Vintage" brand guitars are pretty good. I bought a VA100 (IIRC) a few years back, brand new, for £100. Great little guitar, sounds good, and great to have "just lying around". It's a "Grand Auditorium" or "000" size body, which is not too big or deep, but still sounds nicely resonant and has plenty of projection. Anything bigger for a beginner is a challenge, anything smaller won't have the same kind of sound, and can get a bit too "boxy". Likewise, Tanglewood acoustics are pretty good too.

The thing with any cheap acoustic guitar, is to make sure it has a solid top (whether it's spruce or cedar). The solid top will give a sweeter sound than anything with a laminate top. Most acoustics in that range are laminated mahogany back & sides, great to learn on, but can also sound a bit "boxy".

Consider getting new, wooden string pins for it, instead of the standard plastic ones. They will also make a difference to the sound. Some rosewood or ebony style pins will really help to "warm" the sound up a bit.

Also, don't go for one with an onboard pre-amp to start with. The low end ones not only compromise on the pre-amp, but the construction of the guitar itself. Go for one that is just an acoustic guitar.

My first acoustic was an Applause (a cheap Ovation) bowlback. It was really nice to play, but ultimately, it was a bit too "piano-y" and "boxy". The pre-amp was pretty good though, and recorded well. Part-exed it for a more traditional acoustic because of the sound.

Edited by Skybone
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Skybone said:

Consider getting new, wooden string pins for it, instead of the standard plastic ones. They will also make a difference to the sound. Some rosewood or ebony style pins will really help to "warm" the sound up a bit.

Can you explain (or point me to a link that explains) the physics behind this.

Thanks for the advice everyone. 

I bought the Yamaha F310 yesterday. It was in definite used condition but played and sounded extremely good. Much better than my Fender acoustic!

It was a bargain at £15 too. 

• Like 3

£15 is a bargain! I had an F310 years ago which I bought for £50 second hand. Couldn't get on with it though so sold it on shortly after.

Washburn are another under-rated manufacturer that do some nice acoustics if the need arises in the future.

6 hours ago, Rikki1984 said:

I bought the Yamaha F310 yesterday. It was in definite used condition but played and sounded extremely good. Much better than my Fender acoustic!

Wahey! Bargain. That’s how much mine was too. God knows what the bloke had been doing with it though....the body is chipped to hell and the machine heads were full of sand!

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:03, BigRedX said:

Can you explain (or point me to a link that explains) the physics behind this.

I can't show any proof or links, but what I can say, is that I've done it with a Vintage V300.

I bought it from Imusic (before they were taken over by Musik Produktiv), and although it was good, it kind of lacked some 'warmth' (it's a solid spruce top with laminate mahogany back & sides). It came with plastic bridge pins. I decided to chance £10 on a set of new, wooden pins, more because they looked nicer than the plastic ones, but also hoping that they warmed the sound up a bit. They did. Yes, it's still a budget acoustic, but it sounds better than when I first got it.

On 18 June 2018 at 13:42, Rikki1984 said:

Great result.👍 I have a F310, bought it new about twenty years back, the plan being to get a better acoustic a year or so later. Never did though and I still really rate it.