Why become a member? ×

Static in the Amp?

Bernardias

Okay, so when I plug my bass into my amplifier, I hear a weird static noise. I don't like the static since it's very loud.

I did some research but all I could find was low batteries. I changed the batteries and it didn't help. 

Has anybody got tips for removing the static?

I am relatively new to bass playing so please keep it simple.

I don't know exactly what bass I am using, but it says: Century - Special Series (see picture). My amplifier is a Hartke A25. Everything is stock. 768317473_BasgitaarenVersterker.thumb.jpeg.7bc60560e7041231959ab58b0efb5c6d.jpeg

It’s either a problem with your instrument cable, your bass, or your amp. You need to work out which part has the fault. 

I would try the following:

1. The cable could be broken. Try a different cable to connect your bass to your amp. The cable is the most likely cause for this, especially after you have tried to change the battery already. 

2. Try your setup in a different location. Maybe there is a problem with the electrical circuit where you practice. Something like a fridge or a boiler on the same circuit can cause a problem. 

3. Can you get another bass and plug it into your amp? If it works then you have a problem with the bass. 

4. Try your bass and cable though a different amp. If it works then you know the amp has a problem. 

Edited by jonno1981
  • Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 22:36, jonno1981 said:

It’s either a problem with your instrument cable, your bass, or your amp. You need to work out which part has the fault. 

I would try the following:

1. The cable could be broken. Try a different cable to connect your bass to your amp. The cable is the most likely cause for this, especially after you have tried to change the battery already. 

2. Try your setup in a different location. Maybe there is a problem with the electrical circuit where you practice. Something like a fridge or a boiler on the same circuit can cause a problem. 

3. Can you get another bass and plug it into your amp? If it works then you have a problem with the bass. 

4. Try your bass and cable though a different amp. If it works then you know the amp has a problem. 

Thank you, I will try this and tell the results!

• Like 1

My first recommendation would be, get a new lead.

Buy a good quality, shielded lead. You can a really good one for about £15-20, and it should last you a good few years if you look after it.

Always remember to unplug your bass after you finish playing if you have an active bass. Leaving it plugged in will eat your batteries.

Try using the amp in a different room, or use a different socket in the same room (not the other socket on a double, but on the other side of the room).