Why become a member? ×

Bill Withers

dlloyd

If you're getting to play one of the greatest songs ever, you can't do anything other than look cool.  Even the bassist looks cool on his chaise longue!  😎

One of my old bands used to play this song & I've been trying to get my current band to, but maybe they've just not got the coolness to play it.

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

That’s James Gadson. He was the guy back then, he certainly did a lot of sessions in the 70’s and 80’s.

I think he was still gigging locally in the LA area up until a couple of years ago.

A nice little read about his career here.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/James_Gadson.html

Great link - didn’t realise James played on so many famous albums, including ‘Let’s get it on’ . Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

Love Bill Withers, love that track (Use Me), but am I alone in being amused by the contrast between Bill's agricultural guitar strumming and the funkiness of the uber-cool band surrounding him?

It's not like he couldn't play guitar:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, xgsjx said:

If you're getting to play one of the greatest songs ever, you can't do anything other than look cool.  Even the bassist looks cool on his chaise longue!  😎

One of my old bands used to play this song & I've been trying to get my current band to, but maybe they've just not got the coolness to play it.

It would be a cool song for my band. We certainly have the drummer for it but the vocals would be a reach. The bass really isn't a huge element is it?

This live version seems a bit slower than the original recording.

Blue

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It would be a cool song for my band. We certainly have the drummer for it but the vocals would be a reach. The bass really isn't a huge element is it?

This live version seems a bit slower than the original recording.

Blue

The first few times we played this song, only the singer knew it.  He played it on guitar & as it's just Em7 & A7, the rest of us just jammed it.
Then I bought a Bill Withers CD with it on & learned the actual bassline.  The harmonics in the first bar of the A7 are a nice wee touch.

The later versions that we did, I played an interpretation of the clav line during the Em7 & back to the bass line for the A7 during the non vocal parts.  A bit more tricky, but sounded good.

That clip is from the Old Grey Whistle Test. Great stuff.

There was also an excellent documentary on BBC4 a while back that charted his rise and then decision to stop performing, which was equally great. He came across as a wonderful human being. He fought a lifelong stammer and did/does a lot to help younger people with the same condition, which featured heavily in the programme.

On a musical note his 1973 Live at Carnegie Hall album features pretty much the same band as the clip, I think, and is well worth a listen.

On 16/06/2018 at 07:31, lowdown said:

That’s James Gadson. He was the guy back then, he certainly did a lot of sessions in the 70’s and 80’s.

I think he was still gigging locally in the LA area up until a couple of years ago.

A nice little read about his career here.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/James_Gadson.html

Great link and an interesting read, thanks for that. 

• Like 1