Why become a member? ×

Status with a J neck

Bassistclem

Am I the first bass player in history of the history graphite to ask Status if they make a headless S2 with a J width neck? I was mislead into thinking they did on a custom build but after making my enquiry and keen to place my order I was politely told they didn't. Then after emailing a couple of other questions I then seem to find myself blanked. Have I touched a nerve? Perhaps they  are they contemplating how many more sales they might have had if they had been able to find a way of creating a J neck to satisfy the needs of the jazz bass lovers. 

Seriously though I'm a bit stunned that it's not possible. 

Any suggestions for alternatives, I've considered old Steinbergs etc but any more suggestions would be welcome

They do a J neck you can retrofit to a J body but they can't do custom neck profiles because making a graphite neck involves a series of high pressure moulds and expensive tooling, making a 'one off' impossible. I think.

3 minutes ago, ped said:

They do a J neck you can retrofit to a J body but they can't do custom neck profiles because making a graphite neck involves a series of high pressure moulds and expensive tooling, making a 'one off' impossible. I think.

Hi Ped. Yes of course a one off would be out if the question. The question I ask though is how many more players would have bought one if a J neck were available over the years. Anyone have an estimate as to what percentage of players prefer a J neck or a P? 

1 minute ago, Bassistclem said:

Hi Ped. Yes of course a one off would be out if the question. The question I ask though is how many more players would have bought one if a J neck were available over the years. Anyone have an estimate as to what percentage of players prefer a J neck or a P? 

Ah OK, tbh I've never really got too hung up on neck profiles. I'm no good on any shape lol.

• Haha 1

Ah you're a Yorkie too? Yes i love it here, but my bass playing has yet to be unleashed on Yorkshire. Since moving here there's not been much time to find a (decent) band.. I just argue about basses on BC now

1 minute ago, ped said:

Ah you're a Yorkie too? Yes i love it here, but my bass playing has yet to be unleashed on Yorkshire. Since moving here there's not been much time to find a (decent) band.. I just argue about basses on BC now

Unfortunately there are no decent bands left as I've ruined them all with my playing. 😄 Great site btw. 

• Haha 1