Why become a member? ×

Noob question on fingerboard profile

Ruarl

I'm not an upright player. Like many electric bassists, I've picked up and upright now and again, and had a noodle. On most of the instruments I've tried, I've noticed that the fingerboard seems to have a kink at the G-string, so the fingerboard is in a slightly different place than it would be if the smooth curve under the other strings continued. Is this a feature? Something copied from other instruments? Something done for students? Or just a normal fingerboard?

26 minutes ago, Ruarl said:

...Is this a feature?...

Could be a Romberg bevel..? ...

From 'FINGERBOARDS for UPRIGHT BASS: What's to know??' ...

My fingerboard has a "flat spot" under the E string. What gives?
You may have seen some bass fingerboards with a sharp rise or beveled edge that runs the entire length of the board, between the A and E string on some basses. It is called the "Romberg Bevel." That shape is a throwback from when big fat E strings crawled the earth -- the bevel gives more clearance for that string to vibrate. With newer string technology, it's no longer a necessity and many luthiers and builders have phased it out. Some folks prefer it, some don't; it's probably just a matter of what you're used to, but no biggie IMHO.

Edited by Dad3353