Why become a member? ×

Removing neck finish from 80's G&L L2000 - affect the value

BassApprentice

Morning all,

This is something I've been pondering from a while. I have a very nice L2000 from the 80's (see photo) , I love the tone, the look and the neck profile BUT I really don't like the gloss finish on the neck. I've found I prefer satin finishes.

Would taking steel wool to the neck to remove some of the finish affect the value of the bass?

I know this is kind of a subjective question but any opinions welcomed

Ta!

IMG_20180110_173752-01.thumb.jpeg.7ae9ae3974fa4de30038f53ecc175b6e.jpeg

What do you think are your chances of finding a buyer who appreciates a neck as you do? IMO I think it's pretty certain that you'll adversely affect the value of the bass if you start scraping off the finish.

You've posted this so I guess the resale value is important to you. . . . in that case, don't do it. 

• Like 3

I've found that 0000-grade wire wool gives a lovely soft satin feel and because it's so fine, the finish polishes up to gloss through hand touch alone after a year or so anyway. 

I have a not-uncollectable 80s bass and I always keep the neck very lightly wire-wooled. 

But please use the properly good stuff, eg Liberon brand, not pound shop rubbish, which won't be true 0000-grade. 

• Thanks 1