Why become a member? ×

Bassists you like who aren't your normal cuppa char

Basswise my go to players to learn from are the likes Larry Graham, Bernard Edwards, Louis Johnson, Bootsy etc as funk is a fave genre. Guitar based rock isn't my usual bag but there are a few fine players in these fields that I particularly like to listen to and learn from. Dunno why them rather than others, other  than that they're very versatile.

Dave LaRue - a mate used to be big into Dixie Dregs and the Steve Morse Band. While the music was so-so for me the bass playing stood out as being a great example of a player having the chops, playing appropriately and knowing when not to overdo it esp when it comes to slap n popping.

Stuart Hamm -  I quite like a bit of Joe Satriani and cam across SH through him. Don't see him getting a lot of mentions on BC yet he's clearly a top flight player as his live solo Country Music shows. Some might think it''s OTT bit it's fun

So over to you..if you're mainly a fan of metal, blues rock whatever what funkers or pop players do you like to learn from?

I'm mainly a Rock or Prog fan but some of my bass heroes are from Jazz or funk. I'm certainly no expert of these styles at all but i like listening to them and occasionally will use something from their repertoire if its easily mastered. xD

Alain Caron

Jeff Berlin

More recently thru fellow BC'ers i've started to appreciate Marcus Miller who i always thought was just a standard slap and pop player but boy was i wrong. He's probably one of the most versatile bassists i've heard.

Adam Nitti

Recently heard Jerry Barnes from Chic and he was exceptional too.

Dave

I'm not sure I can name a bass player I don't like, not on playing grounds anyway.

Normally I appreciate the skill even if I'm not that keen on the music.

Guitarists on the other hand...I can't listen to super distorted overly shreddy stuff no matter how much skill it takes.

So that's most online guitar reviews out.

57 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I'm not a slap fan at all, but I've always got time for Mark King. 

Tasty player, bass out front, definitely done a lot for the instrument. Comes across as a nice guy too. 

But he used to be a drummer. Maybe we shouldn't hold that against him tho. :laugh1:

1 hour ago, Hobbayne said:

John Taylor from Duran Duran gets my respect. I was never a fan when they were big in the 80's, I always had them down as a kiddy pop band. But some of his lines are incredible.

Yep, as my girlfriend in the mid 80s was JT obsessed I had a rather large hatred of him, to the point where I convinced myself his basslines were played by Nick Rhodes on keyboards. Luckily I snapped out of it and realised his talent, and was rather impressed when he joined up with Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) and Duff McKagan & Matt Sorum (Guns N Roses) to form a heavy rock band, The Neurotic Outsiders.

8 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Without doubt Mick Karn was once of the most original players out there, that Japan catalogue still sounds like nothing else on the market.

Lovely fellow, sadly missed.

I was only listening to ‘Tin Drum’ in the car today. Agreed, an exceptionally gifted and original musician.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Mark O’Toole for me, FGTH is not my sort of thing really but his basslines are so brilliant when heard on live recordings (I appreciate some of the session recordings were not done on a bass).

There’s some YouTube footage of FGTH on ‘The Tube’ circa 1984, Mark O’Toole on a Sabre if memory serves, and very decent he is too. Worth checking out.

My usual music is Classic Rock but I agree 100% with John Taylor (Duran Duran and Power Station) and Mark O'Toole (Frankie Goes To Hollywood)

I also have a great deal of respect for Steve Priest from Sweet and Nick Beggs from Kajajgoogoo.

Chris

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

My usual music is Classic Rock but I agree 100% with John Taylor (Duran Duran and Power Station) and Mark O'Toole (Frankie Goes To Hollywood)

I also have a great deal of respect for Steve Priest from Sweet and Nick Beggs from Kajajgoogoo.

Chris

Good call

Nick Beggs has simply gone from good to great these days. Steve Priest i'm a big fan of and is very under-rated as a good solid bass player. And he pulled some amazing faces and costumes with Sweet back in his hey days.

Dave

• Like 1

There's a French bloke called Yodelice - he's more a pop producer and solo artist, but he also does some very tasty bass playing.

Only a fairweather reggae fan at best, but Aston Barrett and Robbie Shakespeare are mint.

I really like the original guy from the Eagles - Randy Meisner. Sounds like he's using a P with flats and he does some surprisingly meaty playing.

I am not a huge fan of chordal/jazzy solo bass type playing, but I have a lot of time for Janek Gwizdala as a person and musician.

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and some folks don’t like the personal aspect of some of his videos, but I really like watching his videos on YouTube and find him a really inspiring person. He seems to have a ridiculous work ethic with his training, practicing, vlog editing and writing books, it’s truly inspiring to me. I wish I had 1/10 of his drive and focus.