Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic RH750 headphones vs cab

thisisswanbon

How do!

Potential stupidity incoming unfortunately but my head is destroyed by this :crazy:

I'm using a TC Electronic RH750, never had a problem with it (but never loved it) until I purchased a Sandberg California VT4 II w/Delano PJ pups (admittedly I have a problem with rushing into gear). Since then I just can't get a tone I'm happy with, but lack of funds means I'm stuck with it for the forseeable

This being said, I've spent loads of time with the amp and bass at home through some Sony MDR 7506 head phones, and through EQing etc manage to get a great punchy cutting tone.  I save the settings, head to rehearsal and plug into my Barefaced BTII, and that tone I've grafted at suddenly sounds like a muddled mess and as soon as you go anywhere near the 8th fret there's just nothing.

Obviously I don't expect the headphones tone to translate to the cab 100% and knew it'd need to be tweaked, but should it really be THAT different?! I'm struggling to see where I'm going wrong.  Surely I should be able to get a great punchy sound with this gear?

All advice appreciated :)

It's all about the sound in the mix which is hard to recreate at home but I'd say forget about that nice punchy sound solo'd as it rarely translates in the same way alongside other instruments. 

Personally I'd do three things.

Boost the mids more even if it doesn't sound right at home - they're the frequencies that will get you heard in the mix. 

Try it out at home by playing along to some music (preferably a backing track with everything but the bass part and in the style of music you normally play) rather than listening to the bass on its own. Also try to have the bass at a level in the mix that you'd actually have it live - not with the bass as the dominant sound and the rest in the background. 

Once it's working in the mix at home then ask your bands mates if you can allocate some time at your next rehearsal to tweak your sound so it works in context - it's the whole band's sound after all so benefits them too. 

Guest gazzatriumph

What was said previously, I have a RH 750 and have no problem getting a nice punchy sound. What sounds good at home will sound much different at a gig or rehearsal. What are your settings.

On 16/06/2018 at 13:56, Painy said:

Once it's working in the mix at home then ask your bands mates if you can allocate some time at your next rehearsal to tweak your sound so it works in context - it's the whole band's sound after all so benefits them too. 

In honesty I think the practice space is part of the problem, we practice in a pubs function room and they've just put a big pool table in the middle of the room so all the gear needs to go around the table etc etc, not the ideal emulation of a stage set up...

Gigged Saturday night after having a muck on with the settings, and it was better... still not great, but I could live with it.  I'm wondering if I need to experiment more with the interaction between the gain, spectrecomp and tubetone. 

15 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

What was said previously, I have a RH 750 and have no problem getting a nice punchy sound. What sounds good at home will sound much different at a gig or rehearsal. What are your settings.

EQ wise I've got quite a bit boosted (I've adjusted the para frequencies, but they're not too far from the centre tone):

• Bass - 2 o clock
  • Low mid - 1 o Clock 
  • High Mid - 2 o clock
  • Treble - between 12-1 o clock
  • Spectre comp is around 11
  • Tube tone around 10

I suspect the inherent mid scoop of the PJ pickups might be at fault, hence boosting the mids so much, but through headphones at least, when the mids are dialled back in on the amp it keeps the punchy pick up voicing without sounding overly thin. I've thought about replacing the pre-amp in the bass, but not sure how much this effects the voice of the instrument as opposed to EQ versatility.

Guest gazzatriumph

I would turn the bass down to around 10, 11o'clock,  low mids about the same and put the high mids and treble around 2,3 o'clock, I have my compression about 8 o'clock and tube tone is only just on but that's personal choice. Gain wise mines around 10 o'clock,  I've messed with the para frequencies but put them back to 12 o'clock, See if anyone or all of the changes help. Good luck they are great amps but take time to find what you like make use of the pre sets save settings you like and adjust slightly to different venues you play in.

Edited by gazzatriumph