Why become a member? ×

Jillian Mckenna Project

Staggering on

Saw a Canadian trio,The Jillian Mckenna Project a couple of nights ago and was very impressed.Awesome keyboard player and a fine drummer were working with Jillian who is a bass player and they played some standards(swing and bebop) and some of her original compositions.She is on several sites if you Google her.

It looks like we have some bright lights in our future since Jillian and the drummer are both only 23,which is a depressing 49 years younger than I am.Watching her play is an exercise in frustration and inspiration for me but I must admit I came home and played for a while after the concert.A guitar playing friend who was at the show consoled me by saying that I play bass just like she does,"one hand up here and one hand down there."Hmmmm...

I guess my point is that there are some really good young players out there but in my very rural part of Ontario(4 1/2 hours from Toronto and other music hot beds) I don't get to see them very often.

Anyone over there seen any young talent lately?Is the jazz bass world alive and well?

By the way,I'm still feeling the good vibes from the double bass bash in April,thanks to all of you who were there.I have had a great time showing the pics and trying to explain what the day was all about although I get a few strange looks as I get all pumped about it.