Why become a member? ×

New cab time

Bobzilla

Well, second hand.

I play in a church music group, so tight/punchy is more important to me than loud.  I currently have a Peavey 210 tx coupled with a MarkBass Little Mark II.  Its been a while since I played so can't remember how I rate the sound.  I used to have a Trace 4x10 which I loved, apart from the weight, so I sold that (regret that a bit now, but it was very impractical).  I also have a 1x15 Trace which seems a little bit flabby - should really have sold that instead of the 4x10, but it seeming has better bass range than the 10".

So, a few questions.  

The Peavey is still quite heavy - 25kg for 2x10 is not great in the modern era.  What am I realistically looking at on sale of it?  Good condition, had the single jack replaced by two 2p speakon connectors, one of which is a Speakon/Jack combo connector.

Having sold it, what do I replace it with?  I started out thinking a MarkBass 4x10 - similar weight to the Peavey but a 4x10.  Alternatively a MB 2x10 - lighter than the Peavey.  Now some of the Barefaced stuff is getting my attention, as is the GK MBE410, one of which has recently sold.  I play all over the neck - I don't like being told to just stick to 'bass' notes.  Sod that for a lark.  I have 24 frets for a reason.  I am also looking at getting a 5 string, so will need to cope well with my bottom B.

I'm also quite cost conscious.  I can probably add another £200 or so into the mix having sold the Peavey, but getting more than that from SWMBO (or more accurately, she who if not obeyed would become incredibly expensive in short order) might be tough.  So I'm very much looking second hand.

Thoughts?

Why exactly are you moving the 210 on - if it`s just due to the weight then a lighter 210 would be my thoughts, and in this respect unless you`re DI-ing I`d agree with a Markbass 210 (Markbass cabs seem to have a high-end roll-off, so what goes to PA is much toppier than what you get on stage if DI-ing). If however you need a bigger cab then there aren`t many 410s around at under 25kgs that aren`t expensive - aside from (shameless plug) the Ashdown that I`m selling.

Good questions.  Not sure whether it is the weight or what I'm getting for the weight.  I bought the Peavey because it was lighter than my Trace cab - nice as it is, if I don't use it because it is too much of a fag to move about then I need to change it.  The Peavey itself isn't light (albeit lighter than the Trace was) and I can drop an easy 10kg with a Markbass 210 cab.  That said, if I'm getting 410 for not much more weight...

I will have a  better idea on Sunday as to whether it is weight, tone or both.  From memory, I'm not blown away by the Peavey but then again I'm not raving about it.  It was a reasonably priced option that was available at a time when I couldn't afford Mark Bass or similar, and no-one else was really into lightweight cabs.

Size and weight were big factors in choosing my rig and after a lot of research and deliberation eventually went for the Barefaced Retro 210 (with cloth grill which saves 1kg over steel) with an Aguilar TH350 and can vouch for the tone. Absolutely crystal clear, plenty of low down grunt and plenty loud. It weights in at just 13kg and fits perfectly in the boot of my 07 Mini Cooper (which has the boot about the same size as an Ikea bag!). Amp & cables in a ruck sack, bass in one hand, cab in the other and you're good to go. 

Edited by StevieE
Typo

There`s not much wrong with Peavey gear, aside from the weight of the older ones. I`m not that clued up on their gear but I`m sure they must have got round to introducing lighter cabs into their range.One of my fave cabs is the TVX410 but at 110lbs I`ve never even considered buying one.

Edited by Lozz196

are you taking this cab home after each service or could it live in situ? i play at church and we've got a 4x10+1x15 rig (with a trace head) and it lives in position and is only moved occasionally for weddings etc. i substitute my markbass head when i'm playing as it's in my case and it saves adjusting the settings on the trace (we have other bass players who use the house rig)

if you can leave a cab at the church then weight doesn't become an isuue, and a cheap but solid cab can be bought for peanuts. (i think we've got a peavey 4x10 megabass? and the 1x15 is a behringer cab with a replacement eminence speaker that i got for 20 quid)

Matt

19 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

Well, the Peavey performs better than I gave it credit for.  The sound was actually pretty good - perfectly punchy and tight.  I don't think I need something new at all - if I do I think it's another 2x10 but lighter.

I had a Peavey 210 TX and it sounded great! IIRC 4 ohms / 175 watts rms though, so not the beefiest spec around but they do sound sweet. The horns have a tendency to fart out, but easy and cheap to replace. if the weight thing isn't an issue I'd stick with it.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:13, casapete said:

I had a Peavey 210 TX and it sounded great! IIRC 4 ohms / 175 watts rms though, so not the beefiest spec around but they do sound sweet. The horns have a tendency to fart out, but easy and cheap to replace. if the weight thing isn't an issue I'd stick with it.

Older Peavey cabs are great, albeit heavy. A couple of neo 10" drivers would lighten it nicely.