Why become a member? ×

What gear exceeded expectations for you?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Bee Basses, Nordstrand Pick-ups and Conklin. 

It's now close to 13 years since I placed my order for Binky, and as much as it was a custom bass made to some very particular specifications it still amazes me every time I pick him up. Everything from the build quality to the ergonomics to the general tone and sound both acoustically and plugged in far exceed what I ever expected and being honest, I expected a lot from this bass! From point of order to delivery was just over 2 years, but mother of god it was worth it! 

No bass I have ever played at any level comes close, and a good 95% of people that have held and played Binky have come to the same conclusion. Some kudos to Carey Nordstrand too as he built the pickups for Binky based on a small essay I wrote explaining the sound I wanted, and he absolutely nailed it!

Conklin also greatly impressed me, I managed to snag an 8 string custom USA Conklin a few years ago, and yes they are eye-wateringly expensive, but they are also a total game changer! Build is just insane and their in-house pickups combined with a demeter pre-amp just kills almost everything else out there.

So Bee Basses, they are rare as hens teeth on the second hand market, and Fred doesn't seem to be building anymore, but if you EVER see one for sale, buy it. They are simply outstanding. Nordstrand pick-ups - Because they made something so specific to my wants without batting an eyelid and Conklin because, well, they are stunning in every capacity! 

20180602_153812.thumb.jpg.37961fdb924841fd787175e6037a66f4.jpg

Edited by binky_bass

6 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Bee Basses, Nordstrand Pick-ups and Conklin. 

It's now close to 13 years since I placed my order for Binky, and as much as it was a custom bass made to some very particular specifications it still amazes me every time I pick him up. Everything from the build quality to the ergonomics to the general tone and sound both acoustically and plugged in far exceed what I ever expected and being honest, I expected a lot from this bass! From point of order to delivery was just over 2 years, but mother of god it was worth it! 

No bass I have ever played at any level comes close, and a good 95% of people that have held and played Binky have come to the same conclusion. Some kudos to Carey Nordstrand too as he built the pickups for Binky based on a small essay I wrote explaining the sound I wanted, and absolutely nailed it. 

Conklin also greatly impressed me, I managed to snag an 8 string custom USA Conklin a few years ago, and yes they are eye-wateringly expensive, but they are also a total game changer! Build is just insane and their in-house pickups combined with a demeter pre-amp just kills almost everything else out there.

So Bee Basses, they are rare as hens teeth on the second hand market, and Fred doesn't seem to be building anymore, but if you EVER see one for sale, buy it. They are simply outstanding. Nordstrand pick-ups - Because they made something so specific to my wants without batting an eyelid and Conklin because, well, they are stunning in every capacity! 

20180602_153812.thumb.jpg.37961fdb924841fd787175e6037a66f4.jpg

Wow, that is some serious extended range! My brain turns to mush at 6 strings...😳

On 16/06/2018 at 15:37, Graham said:

EHX's Deluxe Bass Big Muff is fantastic and exceeded my expectations. In the standard setting it's a great big fuzz and with the filters engaged you get some brilliant, clear distortion. What'a more, you can have both as the filters are foot-switchable. I have no need for another fuzz or distortion, which is great from a non-boutique brand

Don't forget it's noise gate too

GK 200MB was very good and was behaving like it was far bigger. Lightweight! (sadly, it was stolen in the early 90's)

Mesa 400+ was the opposite: weighed probably 300 lbs/kg. Earthshaking sound. This I did not own, but had a chance to play it live few times.

Modulus Graphite customer service. I had a smallish issue with my Quantum 5 SPi custom (this happened in the late 90's). They wanted my bass back to the Factory. Fine, I paid the sending fee. It took quite some time, but one day there was a UPS guy behind my door. The bass came back with a hard shell case, a new bridge, polished surfaces and naturally the fret work was done! None of these details were asked!

Neutrik plugs. Enough said.

Daring Audio Phat beam has a comp, and a HPF that work like a dream live with my passive instruments. Definitely not a transparent unit.

Iron Ether Divaricator really changed my use of effects. A x-over built for bassist. Thanks Taylor!

Patrice Vigier, il est magnifique!

Edited by itu
- some word corrections
  • Like 1

My second hand TC Electronics BH500, BC212 and BC210 partnered with a second hand G&L M2000 GTS. I noticed quite a bit of negativity around the TC Electronics set up, mainly around the "false" watts out put. All I can say is that, with the G&L it sounds fantastic, with the ability to programme in a different setting for my Sire fretless a real boon.

I got a great deal on the TC rig, and it is perfect for me.

For me, hands down it has to be my RedSub BT5110 "Ibanez Promethean in disguise" combo amp.  I bought it 6 and a half years ago for 300 notes (and yes, the Harley Benton badged one which was available around the same time was even cheaper but wasn't available when I was looking).  What can I say?  It's been rock solid.  It has got a right royal beasting (filling our rehearsal room with bass using its single 1x10) nearly every week for 6 years.  I had only one minor issue with it a couple of years ago - a faulty headphone jack (would make the amp randomly mute because it acted like something was plugged into it) which I replaced myself and have had no bother since. 

Built like a tank (chunky, ply cabinet), really flexible with the removable head, aux in jack, DI and footswitch (not something I use often - 2 channel can mute and switch in out the "colour" control which I never use), more than powerful enough for my requirements (250W in the combo, 500W with 4 ohm load).  I don't even mind about the cost cutting (no pre/post DI, screw in third foot to angle up the cab instead of the Promethean's built in pop up stand, somewhat fiddly thumbscrews to remove the head from the combo).

This is easily the best bass related purchase I ever made.  You couldn't hire something this good for the <£50 a year it has cost me.

20120306.jpg

• Like 1