Why become a member? ×

What gear exceeded expectations for you?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

My Vintage Tony Butler P bass & a standard Vintage V4 bass. I bought both 2nd hand, the Tony Butler was as a cheap practice bass to save my Gretsch & Squier for gigs, the Squier has been sold & the Gretsch & my Thunderbird haven't been played for almost a year. On the other side of things I bought a Fender P bass & it sounded no better than the Vintage ones even though it was 3 times the price so that just got returned.IMAG0196.thumb.jpg.64fcc1878e8634a803a139a987822812.jpg

• Like 2

Electro Harmonix Battalion - for the ££ it performs really well and up there with the Ampeg, Sansamp and other offerings - a proper sleeper bargain if you are after a preamp DI with a reasonable distortion onboard. It's been on my mini-pedalboard with a tuner and wireless receiver for a good 4 months and gets out regularly for live work. 

Cort GB35J. Picked up 2nd hand for £150 from, wasn't in the best shape. I gave it some new Wilkinson picku, and bridge (total cost £40 !) and it's pretty stonking now. I actually sold my Fender Jazz Deluxe because this thing was just making it a bit ostentatious to have 2 Jazz basses. Got my money back on the Jazz and it's in the new bass kitty for now.

• Like 1

Oh a whim recently i brought a TCE Helix (phaser). Haven't owned a Phaser since the early 80's, and never for bass. i thought id use it on one song, maybe two. Instead ive found it brings the bass to life and i soooooo over use it.

Other than that, i guess my Fender Sandblasted P bass has been a huge hit. Until i got it i had been putting my Squier CV Jazz neck on my P basses, as i dont really like P necks as much. I was apprehensive about buying another P bass, but i found the neck to be just perfect. Ive not given it another thought since the first play.

Honestly an Ashdown Toneman 300 combo. I sold my huge trace stack because of the weight but was not wanting to spend big bucks. I wanted to buy new as you can't always be sure with second hand Amps and my experience of Ashdown was limited to beaten up and abused practice room amps. I bought it expecting nothing. Ok, it didn't give the full ballsy grunt of a trace or the power of an old Peavey but it did the job for gigs. It then started an affinity with Ashdown and I'm now using a Rootmaster head and cabs. I could still be using the Toneman but the portability of the Rootmaster stuff and the higher quality, lower weight just all tipped it for me.

I've been really impressed by my Squier VM Jazz and Precision basses. They both sound and play exceptionnally well after setup and, after trying a few MiM and MIA, wouldn't change them anyways. Oh and my active Epi T-Bird as well... she growls like a bear.

Edited by PoppaJoe

• 4 weeks later...

Well my Moollon J5 is a dirty filthy snarling tone monster.  My 62 J is better and maybe a Stenback might top it but for a bit over 2 grand you'd be daft to buy anything else. One of the very best working musician's J form bases out there by a country mile. 

I'd say my nanyo bass collection. 200 quid and it's bloody astounding. Everything of it feels quality. I bought it basically to try it, as I'd heard good things... But it absolutely exceeded expectations! It's my #1 bass now. I've played dep gigs with absolute strangers who've commented mid set on how clear and precise it sounds. Obviously I take full credit for it, but it's entirely this bass!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

I'd say my nanyo bass collection. 200 quid and it's bloody astounding. Everything of it feels quality. I bought it basically to try it, as I'd heard good things... But it absolutely exceeded expectations! It's my #1 bass now. I've played dep gigs with absolute strangers who've commented mid set on how clear and precise it sounds. Obviously I take full credit for it, but it's entirely this bass!

Proper bass for £200, love it. Mate of mine has one, am still trying to persuade him to sell it to me.

The sci-fi looking Yamaha BX-5 I bought recently.  I got it mainly to upgrade my Hohner B2V that I always take to gigs as a back up bass.  I expected it to be good enough to be better than the Hohner but it turns out it is magnificent.  It is probably going to be the main bass of choice for my little band, in fact - the quirky looks fitting in nicely.

I gotta say, no matter what you think of them, it's my 2011 4003 Rick. I've wanted one for about 15 years and have never been in the position to own one, it's one of those childhood basses.

Anyway, I tried about 5 vintage 4001 basses and didn't bond with any of them. I tried 2 1990's 4003 basses and they were okay. I then made a 500 mile round trip to try this one and it was just right.

Its the only bass I have ever been truly happy with. I thought it might have been a honeymoon period but no, here we are 3 years later. 

IMG_20180601_211629.jpg

Not directly bass related, but my LD Systems MEI1000 wireless iem system is outstanding value for money. I got it to decide if it was something I should go for, with the idea of upgrading to Shure or Sennheiser, but that was 2 years ago and I've had no reason to change them.

The actual ear phones were a bit rubbish though, so do budget for something better.

• 1 month later...

After struggling with many different bass heads (markbass, ashdown, TC Electronic to name but three) and a mixture of different branded cabs with varying size speakers (15”, 2x10, 4x10 again to name but three) I was growing really dissatisfied with my tone as I could never get the tone I wanted or could hear in my head! I was fortunate enough at one point to be able to buy a new rig so after research and asking about, I opted for (all bought on recommendation from the market place here) an Ampeg SVT2 Pro and SVT 610 classic cab. I knew they were going to be good but all of a sudden, 4 years of buying/selling/trading different amps and cabs, BOOM! There was that tone I wanted without even tinkering with the eq section, over the moon and grins for days.....

but what has REALLY impressed me.....

i recently bought an Ampeg Micro CL stack for smaller gigs and home practice, solid state, tiny, low(ish) powered! I’d heard good things about them but wasnt expecting too much.......oh my! Those tiny little amps with the tiny little 2x10 cabinets are something else entirely! even at low levels, but turn it up and wow! Again! Unmistakable Ampeg tone through and through and loud, jeez can it get loud! Really impressed for something so so small, so huge sounding and for not much money!!

If your after a small amp for home practice or smaller gigs, cannot recommend enough!!!!

gratuitous photos incoming.....

114256AA-B44B-4372-92E3-4716478CDB5D.thumb.jpeg.ecd2d6607bfb4420534789a28e97fe48.jpeg

B76C0C4E-22AE-4545-B5FD-46A4D2993D8B.thumb.jpeg.788d53ca5a609d5aea4e37efb4c01463.jpeg

Edited by donslow
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Great looking rigs you’ve got there!

Cheers dude! 

Took me a while but I finally got there, found THAT tone I wanted, firmly a precision and Ampeg guy now.....so simple yet so versatile....

Although did take quite some adjustment as prior to precisions, I was firmly an Ibanez sr guy, quite a bit of difference in necks......

Edited by donslow

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Ok, not bass but the Roli Rise 25 (thought I would try it before the 49). Completely amazing. If this had come out when I was a teenager I would have never stopped playing Keys 

I've only tried it in a shop, but it is amazing. So expressive, works great for string sounds.

Not sure if I've posted this before - Status Tapewound strings.

Two other BCers and I swooped in and bought all the stock Status had when I found out their supplier was going under. Best buy ever...I have them on at least 3 basses and they all play so smoothly and painlessly. Great tension too.

I didn't realise how (relatively) painful roundwounds were on my fingertips till I used tapewounds.

Rumour has it that Status have a new string supplier - must remember to contact Dawn to see if they have more Tapes in stock.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Not sure if I've posted this before - Status Tapewound strings.

Two other BCers and I swooped in and bought all the stock Status had when I found out their supplier was going under. Best buy ever...I have them on at least 3 basses and they all play so smoothly and painlessly. Great tension too.

I didn't realise how (relatively) painful roundwounds were on my fingertips till I used tapewounds.

Rumour has it that Status have a new string supplier - must remember to contact Dawn to see if they have more Tapes in stock.

Tapes are glorious - I’ve never tried the Status ones but I have some LaBella Black Nylon Tapes and absolutely love em. I think I actually prefer tapewounds to flatwounds in feel.

I recently bought a G&L L2500 tribute. I just fancied trying a 5 string and had no great expectations.

But it sounds great! I particularly like the sound from the front pickup. With the bass up high and the treble rolled off, it sounds VERY smooth and FAT. 

It's not a sound I would normally go for but it sounds great on it's own and fits in perfectly in a band situation.

I like it so much I seriously thought of buying the 4 string version.

Korean MTD - It was not shifting on here years ago. it went down to £180 and I bought it on a punt. The loveliest neck, lightweight and wears TI Jazz Rounds exceedingly well. Nothing not to love. There was one in the Gallery last time I was in for £299. I nearly bought it.

The Darkglass Alpha Omega

I bought it for the filth. It does that very well. What I wasn't expecting is how good a clean / warm preamp it is. Drive on about 0.5 - 1 depending on pickup output. EQ to taste.

It has a superb sound that is never boomy (the bass EQ control is at 100hz) and adds a lovely tonality to my basses.