Why become a member? ×

EQ fiddling

ianrendall

2 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I would have thought those settings would be pretty bright. Maybe give us some more info..

Type of bass you use, what strings, and what cabs.

But of course. 

Ibanez 5er with active eq and passive switch, 2 humbuckers. I 99% of the time use it passively. BF Midget. Brand new D’addario strings

I suppose there is a world of difference between what can be achieved live and what can be achieved in a studio, which is where I imagine Jeff gets the sound that I hear. 

I’m not after an exact Jeff tone. I just like the zing without the harshness he seems to get from his passive instruments. Also, the tone that Nathan East gets on this amazing arrangement (both bass parts) sets my world alight. 

The lead bassline sounds heavily processed with compression and a modulation effect (phase/chorus/flanger?) so I don't think you will achieve it with your amp alone. I have an Ibanez SR1200 (4 string) which I would only use in passive mode if the battery failed. The 3 band (with selectable mid frequency) active EQ will give you way more options including more low and top end (cut/boost) shaping than in passive mode. Nathan's bass is more than likely in active mode too. 

I've got an the same TE amp, and following a recent discussion about High Pass Filters I have the 30 and 40 Hz sliders at at -15db,  cleans up the sound, gets rid of low end grunge,  and instead of boosting what you want have you tried cutting what you don't?  doesn't look far off one the TE preshapes the way you've got it set

45 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I've got an the same TE amp, and following a recent discussion about High Pass Filters I have the 30 and 40 Hz sliders at at -15db,  cleans up the sound, gets rid of low end grunge,  and instead of boosting what you want have you tried cutting what you don't?  doesn't look far off one the TE preshapes the way you've got it set

Absolutely. The 30hz is for cutting only if you follow TE advice and probably the 40hz too. Other than that your EQ settings look fine.

2 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

The lead bassline sounds heavily processed with compression and a modulation effect (phase/chorus/flanger?) 

This might be because it looks like Dr East is playing over the top of the iTunes recording, effectively doubling his lead line. You can see iTunes on his Mac behind him (and he hasn’t downloaded any album art).