Why become a member? ×

Bronco bass vintage tone?

I have an itch at the moment to change out the hot rails I have in my ditty Squier Bronco, and change it to something with a more vintage tone. The bass already has flats, so I’d like to keep it with a guitar pup instead of a Tele bass pup, is there a strat size humbucker guitar pup with a vintage tone? Budget £50 or less.

Missed the humbucker requirement. I don't think there are that many options in a Strat size. Do you want a humbucker for the tonal qualities or noise reduction? If you want a humbucker for noise reduction, maybe try some of the noiseless Strat pickups out there. If it's more the sound, what is it exactly you don't like about the current one? 'More vintage' is rather non-descript as it means different things to different people. Are you after lower output, less bass, and more mids/highs?

Edited by dannybuoy

1 hour ago, ikay said:

If you want a vintage sound then how about a Sentell 'Lil Sis' or 'Big Sis' musicmaster replacement pickup - http://sentellpickups.net/bass.html (scroll down about half way)

I have a Big Sis on my Bronco and it's a wonderful thing 😊

IMG_4250.jpg

Or just under the Big Sis there's a Musicmaster humbucker...

How about an SD Vintage Hot Stack plus?  https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-hot-stack-plus-strat?__uuid_ref=5b22959cbd28f

This has a bass-heavy voicing (see 'tone profile' halfway down on right) and is hum cancelling to boot. I wouldn't worry about the six open pole pieces not lining up with the strings, the original pickup on my old Musicmaster had six poles and sounded great across all the strings.

Out of curiosity why are you only interested in guitar pickups? A bass pickup would give you much more in the way of lows and low mids compared with a pickup voiced for guitar.

5 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Looking for a guitar pup, not a bass pup, so Big Sis is not what I’m looking for.

Humbucker for no hum. I thought noiseless pups would be beyond my £50 limit?

My idea of vintage tone is a fat and warm sound, all bass and lower mids. Fat and growly.

That's why I suggested the Firebird. It's a hand wound guitar pup. He does neck, bridge an mid versions and will custom wind if you're looking for a specific sound. But as I don't even deserve a response don't know why I'm bothering.