Why become a member? ×

Chris Dave Trio...Erm..

bubinga5

I usually love Chris's playing, but I think this is just going too far. The bass player deserves an award for his inner timing. I can hear some really clever things going on with the bass and drums now and again.. But a lot of it on the surface just sounds awful I don't care how clever it is. Especially with that Sax, god awful.  I love Jazz/Funk etc but this is where I draw the line. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Confused 1

Just played that to my wife who really doesn't get jazz at the best of times and as expected she was not impressed. 

My 3 year old son however started dancing and was really getting into it. 

Can't say it did it for me either but goes to show that taste remains as subjective as ever. 

Not keen on that high-vis hoodie either for what's its worth though. 

Edited by Painy
  • Haha 1

In terms of a band situation I’ve never been a fan of bass, drums and sax. Without a chordal instrument everyone is just outlining the harmony. The original clip posted is, I’m sad to say, something that only the people playing it could possibly be getting anything from. I’ve got no problem with fairly dense improvisational  music but it’s got to be really well-played (no technically but musically) and ultimately has to say something (e.g. some of the earlier Tribal Tech was quite film soundtrack-like). This didn’t do anything for me I’m afraid.

3 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

In terms of a band situation I’ve never been a fan of bass, drums and sax. Without a chordal instrument everyone is just outlining the harmony. The original clip posted is, I’m sad to say, something that only the people playing it could possibly be getting anything from. I’ve got no problem with fairly dense improvisational  music but it’s got to be really well-played (no technically but musically) and ultimately has to say something (e.g. some of the earlier Tribal Tech was quite film soundtrack-like). This didn’t do anything for me I’m afraid.

you need those chords/depth.  

35 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Awesome interesting drumming from the man. Only boring 4/4 time.

No doubt, we know that they are both very good players, but I just can't get into the (Trio Combo) Bass Ostinato with the Drum/Sax impro over the top (although great internal clock from Foley).

Someone kind of summed up what was happening in 'Love Supreme'...

"The rhythms... make sense. If you count 8th notes (or 16ths, not sure, depending on metre) over foley's bassline and count every third note, Chris Dave uses that as his pulse (his quarter note)".

36 minutes ago, lowdown said:

No doubt, we know that they are both very good players, but I just can't get into the (Trio Combo) Bass Ostinato with the Drum/Sax impro over the top (although great internal clock from Foley).

Someone kind of summed up what was happening in 'Love Supreme'...

"The rhythms... make sense. If you count 8th notes (or 16ths, not sure, depending on metre) over foley's bassline and count every third note, Chris Dave uses that as his pulse (his quarter note)". Im not sure you can put that timing to measure this. It changes patterns all the time.

Edited by bubinga5

10 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Im not sure you can put that timing to measure this. It changes patterns all the time.

Yeah, the pattern changes all the time, but he is saying that the pulse is always on the 3rd 8th note (not random).

It’s only maths really, and I think it sounds like it (just my opinion of course).

😄

1 minute ago, bubinga5 said:

Your gonna have to explain this to me sometime Lowdown. Im good at rhythm feel and odd time but I am just shockingly bad at maths..😪

I am no better at maths, I am just the messenger boy...Lol....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Thats some great question/answer playing with Miles and Foley on the first vid at 4.00. his playing is just wow onwards. really enjoyed that . cheers.

Totally off topic, but Rietveld does a beautiful solo here:

• Like 2