Why become a member? ×

Left or right-handed

pnunes76

Slightly OT but only slightly... I’ve always wondered how mass production of leftie guitars (and related family instruments) came about, given that pretty much every other instrument family gives  no concession to handedness... certainly all the classical instruments where adherence to accepted technique is king..

Why the divergence for guitars  and basses etc?

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Slightly OT but only slightly... I’ve always wondered how mass production of leftie guitars (and related family instruments) came about, given that pretty much every other instrument family gives  no concession to handedness... certainly all the classical instruments where adherence to accepted technique is king..

perhaps Napoleon was a guitarist  xD (apparently he made everybody drive on the right because he was left handed) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TrevorR said:

That's a good point.  I've yet to see a left handed trombone or flute and my guitar teacher did ask if I'd ever seen a left handed piano - I think he was making a point too!

6 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I have wondered about this, perhaps with guitar playing the left and right hand do totally different things, also, how many lefties have given up trying to play other instruments because they can't get left handed ones?

Does anybody play double basses the wrong way on with the strings changed round?

24 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Does anybody play double basses the wrong way on with the strings changed round?

There are several rockabilly/psychobilly upright bass players who play left handed, most notably the bass player with Vince Ray & The Boneshakers. Whether any of them play with the strings swapped around for left handed I don't know.

However you are very unlikely find any playing left handed in orchestras, as their bowing will clash with the double bass players seated next to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

However you are very unlikely find any playing left handed in orchestras, as their bowing will clash with the double bass players seated next to them.

same reason there's no lefty violin players, they could poke out the eye of the guy sitting next to them xD

I am left handed but play right handed. I am seriously considering switching over to play left handed. When I was younger, there was a bit of an issue getting left handed guitars but I don't think its such a big deal these days, now that guitar quality is better and also I have a little more money to spend etc. And I can always just turn it upside down and try it out "strung wrong way round" is fattest string at the bottom, not the top.

When I played drums, I had lessons and the teacher didn't take too long to guess that I was left handed (but playing right handed). He picked up that I had a stronger left hand side. Maybe doing it "the wrong way round" or "the other way round" means you're stronger on certain techniques etc and it could offer some advantage.

I kinda stuck with drums right handed - I could have swapped it all round and tried it left - but I read something where if you eg turn up at a gig with a borrowed kit, or other stuff, you'll be stuck (or take ages swapping someone else's drumkit over....)