Why become a member? ×

1998 Musicman Stingray 2-Band EQ - SOLD
£900

Delberthot

I haven't had this long but I think that this is my final attempt to bond with a Stingray.

I have had many over the years but this is my first 2 band one. It looks incredible and it plays really well but I just can't get a sound that I am happy with.

The body is dated January 1998 but the neck plate dates it to the beginning of March 1998.

When I first got it I took the neck off it as it was grubby as expected for a 20 year old neck with a hand rubbed finish. I lightly sanded it and then gave it 4 coats of Birchwood Casey tru oil as recommended by EBMM. This was then lightly rubbed down with 000 steel wool. It still looks shiny but is really smooth to the touch.

The tuners went into a container of cola to remove the dirt and then they were carefully dried off and put back together.

The pickup poles were slightly oxidised as they do so I decided that, instead of taking a wire brush to them and having lots of metal filings sticking to the pickup, I would buy a closed cover pickup cover. I also took the opportunity to level out the poles to combat the quiet G string issue that these seem to have. This was done by gently pushing the poles down and it could be easily reversed if needs be.

There are 2 dings on the body which are fortunately on the back  so not noticable when you are playing. The first is on the upper horn near the strap button and the other is at the opposite corner near the jack. There are also a couple of other small dings around the headstock.

Everything on it functions 100% and I made a slight adjustment to the truss rod so I know that it works as expected.

It is strung with my usual D'addario EXL165, it has a brand new Duracell battery and comes in a functional gig bag.

I can't work the colour out: I think that it is sunburst but in a certain light it looks more like cherry burst. It has been incredibly hard to photograph the colour but either way, it is a really nice colour.

20180612_190458 (Medium).jpg

20180515_175821 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190324 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190337 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190354 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190401 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190418 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190428 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190439 (Medium).jpg

20180612_190448 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Delberthot

I've added honeyburst to the list of possibles - you might be right, I had a honeyburst one before and this does seem to look mighty close to that colour.

I'm now going to open this up with the option of shipping by replacing the gig bag that i got it with for my brand new Blake Bravo semi hard case gig bag.

This is much more than a simple gig bag. I'd be happy putting this into the back of the van with my bass inside it. It's a semi rigid case with loads of pockets, shoulder strap and clippy bit so that goes around your waist in the event that you have to carry it a long way or the journey to your gig involves climbing mountains etc.

I'll take more pictures tonight of the bass and the bag when I get home from work as the pictures I have posted don't do the bass justice.

I'll need a couple of days to get some packing materials for it and postage will be £35 - it's still available for collection or meetup - I'll be in the borders near Duns this Saturday

At the moment I'm ideally looking for a sale but for trades I would be interested in a G&L or a Geddy Jazz but feel free to try me.

More pictures as promised. As it said it's really difficult to capture the colour. My phone battery was running low so there was no flash used. Instead I moved the bass nearer to the window.

The round the front straps aren't attached to the bag as I took them off but they are inside the front pocket. The bag/case/thingy has been out of the house twice and always travelled on the back seat of my car so it's minty fresh.

I've included a rather blurry picture showing the original pickup cover

20180614_183033.jpg

20180614_183039.jpg

20180614_183043.jpg

20180614_183051.jpg

20180614_183130.jpg

20180614_183136.jpg

20180614_183148.jpg

20180614_183019.jpg

20180614_183027.jpg

The battery in my luggage scales is nearly flat but I managed a couple of quick weights - one with the bass in the bag and one with just the bag to get the difference.

The weight I got was 4.4kgs but I'd prefer to get a new battery at the weekend so that I could take my time weighing it to get a more accurate weight. It certainly doesn't feel that heavy and I've done a couple of wedding gigs with no problems. According to EBMM it should be around 4.22kgs

EDIT - I've had an even better idea: we have calibrated floor scales at work so I am going to take the bass with me and weight it there today. I'l update the weight once I've done it this afternoon

Edited by Delberthot

That is the combo I would love, 2-EQ, honeyburst, rosewood, white, birdseye neck. I wanted to custom order a SLO special like this and was gutted to find they discontinued this awesome colour. I wish I could get on with Stingray necks. 

Maybe I'm less susceptible to neck dimensions but it doesn't feel that much different to my Sterling but interestingly enough Status offer a Stingray neck with a Jazz width nut 😉

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Maybe I'm less susceptible to neck dimensions but it doesn't feel that much different to my Sterling but interestingly enough Status offer a Stingray neck with a Jazz width nut 😉

Interesting. A shame you’re not close so I could try it out. 

I've just weighed it and the weight is a surprising 4.63kgs.

It certainly doesn't feel as heavy as that. I play in a wedding/function band, plus I have an existing shoulder issue which means that I can't play anything too heavy but I haven't had a single problem when playing the 2 or 3 gigs I did with this bass.

Perhaps it has something to do with the balance more than the weight as I've experienced no neck dive on this bass and it's incredibly comfortable.

Edited by Delberthot

Interesting - I was wondering how the bass would look with a black scratchplate - now I know 😀

Another thing I've spotted is that the D string saddle on both of our basses sits closer to the neck than the G. I hadn't noticed when I intonated the bass a couple of weeks ago