Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Spyder Series

Pow_22

Just managed to source an old Ashdown 550 Spyder several years after selling my old 330 spyder.  I know these are long discontinued (why ashdown?) but ive always liked their core tone and simplicity  - and that’s coming from a dyed in the wool all valve/ampeg player!

Question is on these - theres loads of contradicting info online about what valves should be in the pre-amp.  Even Ashdown's site differs depending which bit you read.  Seems commonly most places say its 2 x 12AX7's, some say its 1 x 12AX7 and 1 x 12AU7?!?.  Obviously I know they are interchangable to a degree and different valves will affect the sound (presumably 2 x 12AX7's will increase output but lower clean headroom?).

Is anyone still using these amps and if so what valves do you have in it?  Finally, once we've ascertained what the correct valve itinery is has anyone had much success with tube rolling in these?

Thanks for your time

I've had a few different Ashdown amps in my time, and none of them have been bad. One regret I have is never owning a Spyder. I played one of the 550 versions at a mini festival type thing about 6 years ago and loved it's tone and simplicity, like you said above.

Valve front end with their class AB solid state power stage. Not much to complain about there.

I’d love a Spyder 550.

I tried persuading Mark Gooday to do that preamp with the RM800 power amp but it all got a bit too complicated to get the valves the right voltage and current supply apparently. But an RM-sized valve front-end with that power amp would be a thing of beauty I’m sure. 😎

I use a converted Spyder 550 combo ‘head’ which now lives in a very sturdy *read heavy*  headcase which I’d happily sell but it’d be too costly for shipping. 

As others have said the core tone is fantastic but I simply don’t have the space for a back up following a recent move and my main gigging amp is equally wonderful! 

For me the Spyder isn’t the most versatile but if you play a p bass, especially if you’re in a rock band and favour a plectrum, then you should really have a Spyder on hand for that gig. I gig mine from time to time just for fun but it’s sadly under-used. 

To answer the question I haven’t tried tube rolling in mine and it’s got one if each if memory serves me correctly. 

20 hours ago, Merton said:

I’d love a Spyder 550.

I tried persuading Mark Gooday to do that preamp with the RM800 power amp but it all got a bit too complicated to get the valves the right voltage and current supply apparently. But an RM-sized valve front-end with that power amp would be a thing of beauty I’m sure. 😎

The did something similar with the Little Bastard 550, so not sure where the complication lies... I wonder was it too complicated, or too pricey... or not enough of a market... or market too saturated with other valve fronted class D amps...

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

The did something similar with the Little Bastard 550, so not sure where the complication lies... I wonder was it too complicated, or too pricey... or not enough of a market... or market too saturated with other valve fronted class D amps...

It’s the size of the amp which makes it difficult apparently, squeezing it all into the small RM casing. Plus as Mark pointed out they have the ABM series with a valve front end (not quite what I am after but it’s there), and then the OriginAL pedal which you could hook up to a lightweight power amp if you so desire. They just feel their product range doesn’t need more in it at the moment which is fair enough. Wrong, but fair enough hahahaha 😜

18 minutes ago, Merton said:

It’s the size of the amp which makes it difficult apparently, squeezing it all into the small RM casing. Plus as Mark pointed out they have the ABM series with a valve front end (not quite what I am after but it’s there), and then the OriginAL pedal which you could hook up to a lightweight power amp if you so desire. They just feel their product range doesn’t need more in it at the moment which is fair enough. Wrong, but fair enough hahahaha 😜

Their product range changes pretty frequently though, and they do come out with some random nonsense... your request is about 100 times more sensible than some of their products...

And size didn't stop Genz Benz or GK... 

Edited by Bigwan

1 minute ago, Bigwan said:

Their product range changes pretty frequently though, and they do come out with some random nonsense... your request is about 100 times more sensible than some of their products...

And size didn't stop Genz Benz or GK...

True. Maybe he’s hiding the fact that it’s actually an awesome idea and they’ll bring something out for 2019 NAMM 🤣

Well opened it up last night and it came with 2 x 12AX7's (cheap Chinese 12AX7B's to be precise).  I threw a Ruby 12ax7 HG into V1 and a JJ into V2 and immediately the amp seems more 'alive'.  Will report back once ive had it in rehearsals with the full band but impressed so far.  Just need to order a decent set of casters and a dust cover

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandomBass said:

Ashdown should revive the LB550 case, with the same tube front end and a decent power stage. I found the one in my LB550, and MiBass 550, to be quite lacking. Maybe the RM module.

I love the LB format though.

There’s one on eBay at the moment and I have often been tempted but I agree, the RM module is preferable for me too...

9 hours ago, Merton said:

There’s one on eBay at the moment and I have often been tempted but I agree, the RM module is preferable for me too...

I've seen one on eBay at the moment for £575 which is a surprise as it doesn't look too smart to me. Also the seller describes it as a 'heavy lump' - I'm sure mine was only around 6kg.