Why become a member? ×

U-Basses

nash

I tried one out in a random music shop in Liverpool recently. I chant remember what brand but I totally loved it. I would’ve bought it if I hadn’t just bought a bass that day. 

Anyway I’m doing some research now and I’m looking for suggestions in the £200 or less bracket. 

17 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Kala not worth the money. The deko Harley Benton I have kicks my Kala's behind. I have Pyramid black tapewound strings on it and it's killer for what I paid.

Have you tried any other strings on you HB? I've read that they aren't all the same scale length so don't work on all Bass Ukes

2 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Have you tried any other strings on you HB? I've read that they aren't all the same scale length so don't work on all Bass Ukes

Just the originals (Thunderguts I think)  and the Pyramid tapes. I put the Thunderguts on the Kala and they're the best I've tried on it from 4 different sets. The pyramid tapes put the Harley Benton in a different league though.

On 12/06/2018 at 19:55, Bigwan said:

Just the originals (Thunderguts I think)  and the Pyramid tapes. I put the Thunderguts on the Kala and they're the best I've tried on it from 4 different sets. The pyramid tapes put the Harley Benton in a different league though.

Are the neck and top happy with the tension from the tapes vs the stock rubbery strings?

8 hours ago, therealting said:

Are the neck and top happy with the tension from the tapes vs the stock rubbery strings?

The truss rod needed a half turn, but other than that there have been no issues.

• Like 1

You know I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head! Whatever the standard Pyramid Black Nylon Tapewound Uke bass strings are. I bought them for my U-bass about 18 months ago, at which point it went in the corner in shame as it wouldn't play even close to in tune ANYWHERE one the neck. But I transferred them onto the Harley Benton about a month ago and I'm liking both basses much more now. Always liked the Benton, but have disliked the U-bass since I took the original black strings off it. The Thunderguts at least play more in tune than anything else I've tried on the U-bass.

Edit: I will say that restringing the Harley Benton is a nightmare. Probably easier with virgin strings, but with the strings previously on the U-bass... let's just say there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth trying to aim the spiral end through those little holes blind and at the very end of my contorted wrist's reach. I don't have the smallest hands in the world and there's no rear access hatch like there is on the Kala. Interesting times.

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

These are the real U-Basses UbassesV3.gif

Christophe LEDUC is simply fed up by trials and has patented it for close to 30 years, yes 30 years !

Can't argue with that. Always liked the look of Leduc basses!

Another vote for the Harley Benton here, I went for the fretless version and it’s amazing, way better than we should expect at the price point. I restrung with Aquila Reds and whilst they have less finger sound they are not as loud as the stock white strings from Harley Benton that are also a little thicker than the Aquila’s. 

A6E17655-69F2-4B7B-B76C-20620FAA6C9C.jpeg

On the subject of U-bass strings, be aware that the metal-wound Kala strings make any U-bass much more easily playable BUT they also make it sound far more like an electric bass.

The fat rubber strings (of which there is quite a wide range available these days) can be a bit of a bugger to play but the U-bass will then sound surprisingly close to a full-sized DB.

The solution is talc / baby powder / cocaine on your fingers, which counteracts the stickiness of the rubber strings. It also allows you to experiment with a variety of fragrances ...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

On the subject of U-bass strings, be aware that the metal-wound Kala strings make any U-bass much more easily playable BUT they also make it sound far more like an electric bass.

The fat rubber strings (of which there is quite a wide range available these days) can be a bit of a bugger to play but the U-bass will then sound surprisingly close to a full-sized DB.

The solution is talc / baby powder / cocaine on your fingers, which counteracts the stickiness of the rubber strings. It also allows you to experiment with a variety of fragrances ...

I use Simple Pure Fine Talc, as it's unfragranced. Mrs CP put some in a jar which I keep in the uke gig bag. If ever I get stopped on the way home from a gig and the police do a search it could be interesting....

• Haha 2