Why become a member? ×

BassChat Podcast Feedback & Discussion

Akio Dāku

27 minutes ago, SH73 said:

is there a link to BC  podcast?

Crack a whip why don't you?

Heeheehee.  There will be a link but we haven't finished assembling the bits to go on the other end of it yet.  Have no fear however, Basschat elves are busy behind the scenes creating the pilot episode for your appraisal.  We're aiming for the end of June when we hope to launch the very first one.

It's early days.  It's also encouraging to see the positive reaction to the project.  Thank you.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I left a comment on the Soundcloud itself, but I'll repeat here... Well done, all involved in setting this up and getting such a good result. Stuff to iron out a little, surely, but as a 'pilot', you've done yourselves proud. Did I listen to all of it, all the way through..? No, indeed not, but, then again, I'm a drummer, so the finer points of... Well, just about anything, really... leave me somewhat cold. 'P', 'J', Wilkinson-Smilkinson... My loss, I'm quite sure, but I wish all the best for the concept. Others will doubtless bring much more pertinent feedback to the venture; I simply wanted to assure that the technique works, your voices were not entirely lost to the ether.
Thanks, lads and lasses, and good luck with it all...

• Like 1

Only listened to first hour so far.. But... really enjoyable, well done everyone!

For my personal taste; for podcasts I prefer a slightly less scripted approach, the content was well read and engaging though, so I can't complain. The conversational dialogue really worked well I felt.

Well done indeed! Can we get it onto Apple Podcasts?... Would help with easy downloads and listening as an Apple user... (don't let that derail the thread though, all you Androids out there)

• Like 1

Haven't finished it yet (I'm about 1/2 way through) but well impressed as a first pilot. 

In terms of things to think about - maybe split into slightly shorter chunks?  I am rarely in one place for more than 1/2hr and my memory isn't reliable enough to guarantee remembering to go back to things....  :)

Great result though and I'm sure a huge amount of effort.  Well done all!

• Like 1

Well done! Putting together 2hrs of material is NOT a 2hr job so thank you everyone for the time and work you've put in. As a couple of people have mentioned above I would prefer 4 x 30 mins podcasts rather than one long one. Easier to track and digest. Other podcasts I've enjoyed listening to have contained a mixture of scripted and conversational type sections. Some people are really good at the unscripted podcasts. Me? If I tried it, it would just be an incoherent rambling mess :D  

• Like 1

Just finished listening to the podcast. First things first - massive well done to all involved! As mentioned above, putting together 2 hours’ worth of podcast is certainly not 2 hours’ work.

For me, the highlights were:

The interview with @Chownybass which I found incredibly insightful and the conversational style of that portion was very easy to listen to. Mr. Chown has a great “mic manner” in my opinion and I really appreciated his his openness in sharing the gory details of creating and running the Chowny brand. These “industry interviews” should be a definite keeper for future episodes.

Also really enjoyed the blind pedal test. I’m so used to pedal demos on YouTube (i.e. with a visual element) and it was nice not to have any prior knowledge or imagery to rely on. It forces a more critical use of one’s ears which I think is fun. I think the deliberate absence of a “Basschat rating” for the tested gear is a good thing. Might be worth having a minute or two at the end where a BCer who owns the pedal in question shares their first hand experiences with it.

The “hottest recent topic” section was another highlight of mine - and not just because I got a cheeky mention! In future it might be worth seeing if it would be possible to interview one or two of the most prolific contributors to the thread to give contrasting viewpoints and have a bit of light banter on the subject matter. I realise this poses a logistical challenge in terms of organising a conference call/recording session though.

Things I’d want to tweak:

2 hours is definitely too long, though I realise there was a ton of material to get through and this episode was a proof-of-concept. I had to listen to it over about 3 sessions! I think the ideal length would be between 30 minutes and 1 hour.

In general, the less scripted/more conversational elements of the podcast were the most enjoyable to me as a listener. It just came across more naturally.

That’s all for now - if I think of anything else I’ll post it. Again, a massive well done to all involved!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cameron just saved me a load of typing!

But there’s nothing wrong with repetition.....

I wholeheartedly concur with most of what’s been said above - this is a great idea and please do more. Well done - and thank you - to all involved. This was a great pilot, you asked for feedback so here’s my (meant to be constructive) comments...

The time is too long - but that doesn’t mean you should cut material, just split it into two podcasts. Personally, I think an hour would be about right.

The Chowny Bass interview was fascinating. More of these , please.

Pedal Review was excellent although some of the nuances of tonal variation escaped me - a little bit more commentary on what was being adjusted as it was being adjusted would have helped

I actually didn’t mind the scripted aspects of the podcast. Yes, I agree that more natural is better but I’m assuming that no-one involved is a professional broadcaster and so I think it made absolute sense to have a script with occasional ad-libs rather than rely on a few chapter headings and risk having the thing descend into chaos or worse, self-indulgence. This is only the pilot and I’m sure that the “flow”will get better with experience - but for a first attempt, this came across as well structured and professional. I think a script contributed to that enormously.

I liked the fact that we could actually hear the pedal being used in the pedal review and did wonder if sound could have been used elsewhere through the podcast to illustrate points and give some examples? 

Er, that’s it. Really interesting and a great idea. Ideas for future podcasts? A news segment? That might be drawn from stuff that’s hot on the forums as well as some of the things that folk may have missed. Possibly a summary of what’s in the Bass magazines this month? Then a technical section with discussion on stuff like; pickups, preamps, amps and cabs. For example, a feature on strings and the nuances of different materials and construction techniques? More Industry interviews would be good - Mr Chown has set the bar high (he’s also given me GAS 😀) - but it would be interesting to get the views on the marketplace from retailers, builders, etc. Is the high street music shop dead? Gear reviews, obviously - and maybe invite an occasional basschatter to talk through their rig - what they like, what they’d change, etc. 

Clearly, there’s no shortage of topics and the “magazine” format you used in the pilot worked well so I’d keep that and see how it evolves over time.

Apologies for rambling on and for having the implied arrogance to tell you how to do things better - I really don’t mean it to come over that way. The pilot podcast was excellent and if you change nothing it will still be excellent so please carry on as you are!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done guys. I'm well aware of the effort that must've gone into this. Sterling work! 👍

I've so far listened to the first hour or so and bailed out during the interview with Chowny Bass (not due to boredom I hasten to add!), so I have the rest to finish.

Thoughts so far:

• I think the format works well as a starting point and can obviously be refined/adjusted with experience.
  • The current runtime is too long, as already mentioned (but I think you know that). Up to 1 hour would be ideal.
  • It'd be nice to include a regular feature on writing/performing music. Potential here to link with contributions in the Share Your Music forum and/or the monthly Composition Challenge.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have copied the content of this message here as it is a more appropriate place for further discussion:

32 minutes ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

In short,

If I had stumbled upon the podcast randomly, I would have bailed out during your initial neck segment monologue, it didn't really hit either the area of being funny and entertaining or the area of being in depth enough to make me feel like I wanted to listen because I might learn something I didn't already know(or could look up on wikipedia) - whether my opinion on this is in line with general opinion I've no idea. As a third party with no emotional investment in the finished article, I view leading with arguably the weakest content to be an editorial mistake(maybe that makes me an arrogant rusty bullethole) - if I switch off after the first five minutes, then I end up not hearing the rest of the content, which negates the effort put into everything else. Sometimes its better to be selective and keep your content quality average higher - frustrated me a bit because I was rooting for you to deliver something great.

Sorry if that's too brutal, it's not meant to be a personal attack, but I was a little concerned that it could be interpreted that way - it takes balls to put yourself out there, and I'm not wanting to dent your enthusiasm or confidence or be disrespectful to the effort you put in.

Once the conversation started, everything improved, and I was quite happy to listen to the end in one sitting and overall for a first effort I think you both did yourselves proud.

I didn't want to post this publicly because I have a bad case of 'foot in mouth' disease, so I would rather give you right to reply and myself opportunity to apologise rather than going public should you view this as either unfair or unconstructive.

When SubsonicSimpleton contacted me and asked if it was okay to comment in a follow-up message. I suggested that the comments be made here or alternatively I would forward them.

He has made a good point.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's responses so far, keep em coming! 😊 Personally I'm planning to sit on this for a fortnight now and let some more feedback roll in. Then I'll write up a summery/proposal for the next episode and see how it sounds to folk before we start production.  🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3