Why become a member? ×

BassChat Podcast Feedback & Discussion

Akio Dāku

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd favour an audio version too but I think we have to consider the yoof.  An audio only podcast might not be engaging enough for younger minds.

Akio, I don't know if you had an AV presentation in mind or audio only.

Personally I think audio only is the way forward, Libsyn distributes podcasts to iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Deezer and the like, and most podcasts are consumed on commutes or at work. I think the point with podcasts is as @ped says; 

29 minutes ago, ped said:

it’s good to have on in the background. 

So in my eyes adding the extra layer of production time and effort that video would mean is totally unnecessary.

31 minutes ago, Sibob said:

My personal take on the format is thus:

A few, perhaps 4, different members each episode, who engage in conversation. Perhaps about some popular threads, or their story getting into bass, their gear etc. It obviously evolves from those basic points as it’s a conversation. 

I feel that format, perhaps over one hour, would be infinitely more interesting than just one person talking for x amount of time without answer.

Si

Agreed, I think it's the conversational component that makes podcasts engaging as a passive listener.

31 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

I'd happily come and talk about making basses :)

I'm not wild on the sound of my own voice... but I LOOOOVE my own opinions :P

See this is what I'm taking about, we have a wealth of knowledgeable people I'd love to listen too discussing everything from Luthiery, technique, theory, recording, composition, industry news, gear reviews and stuff. 

Sonicstate (a Synth/Pro-Audio web site/youtube channel) have a podcast I'm a fan of called "Sonic Talk"; https://sonicstate.com/sonictalk they stream it as a video too but I've explained my stance on that above, I just listen to it on my podcast app on my phone at work. Personally I love it and a Bass centric version of this is pretty much what I'm imagining.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

My personal take on the format is thus:

A few, perhaps 4, different members each episode, who engage in conversation. Perhaps about some popular threads, or their story getting into bass, their gear etc. It obviously evolves from those basic points as it’s a conversation. 

I feel that format, perhaps over one hour, would be infinitely more interesting than just one person talking for x amount of time without answer.

Si

I like this idea as well. We have so many people here with a wealth of experience from different disciplines and backgrounds. As long as we mix the groups up, it should be a very engaging conversation. I would be more than happy to talk about my experience and I am sure many others here would.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Akio Dāku said:

See this is what I'm taking about, we have a wealth of knowledgeable people I'd love to listen too discussing everything from Luthiery, technique, theory, recording, composition, industry news, gear reviews and stuff. 

Just for example: A podcast with Chowny, Alan from ACG and Andyjr1515 all talking about their bass making experiences. Three completely different parts of the bass market but all very interesting.

As for appealing to the "yoof", the recent poll showed that I am in the younger side of the forum and I listen to podcasts quite a lot but currently don't have a go-to bass podcast so would be great to have one! Obviously these things take time to organise and develop but no harm in giving it a bash.

• Like 2

I’m happy to help with audio editing, graphics if it needs any, maybe recording audio interviews over Skype. How about a ‘My favourite bass’ section? You can start a thread here, people post pics of their favourites, and then they get interviewed  about it on the podcast. I’m sure most people here can talk about their current favourite for hours on end. It’s a chance to stop boring our partners / girlfriends etc to death! Could also have optional audio samples of the bass if they feel like playing it.

• Like 1

A few things that every podcast/youtube producer should be aware of:

1. Use a script. And if the format is that of an informal discussion have someone who is in charge of the direction the discussion should be taking, and can get things back on track when it veers too far off topic. They should at least have a set of notes of all the main points that need to be covered during the podcast. And if it is just discussion, have guests who are reasonably eloquent. It doesn't matter how knowledgable you are on your subject if you can't convey that knowledge in a way that is interesting for others to listen to.

2. Edit. Get rid of all of those ums and errs and awkward silences, and make sure the podcast moves along at an entertaining and informative rate. Lose the mumbling and rambling, and keep it snappy and to the point.

3. Get some decent mics for everyone so that they can be heard properly. Learn how to EQ for the spoken voice and consider recording each contributor to their own channel on a multi-track recorder so that each can be individually processed to make them as legible as possible without affecting the others.

4. If there is going to be video make sure that the people and their surroundings look presentable. Anything that distracts from the main content of the podcast/video is diluting the message or subject.

5. Keep all the non-talky bits as short as possible unless they are an essential/integral part of the podcast. Intro music/titles? No more than 10 seconds max, 5 seconds would be better. If you can't say what you need in under 10 seconds you are saying too much. Especially stuff that is going to be repeated in every podcast. If you must have loads of credits etc. put them at the end. People will skip over them, but if it's all at the beginning listeners may not even bother listening.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd favour an audio version too but I think we have to consider the yoof.  An audio only podcast might not be engaging enough for younger minds.

Akio, I don't know if you had an AV presentation in mind or audio only.

As a yoof myself, I'd much prefer an audio only podcast, something to listen to while getting uni work done, without a video to distract from said work.

I think overall this is a really exciting idea 😀

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LegateNaarifin said:

As a yoof myself, I'd much prefer an audio only podcast, something to listen to while getting uni work done, without a video to distract from said work.

I think overall this is a really exciting idea 😀

I'm only 28 and I concur. 

34 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

A few things that every podcast/youtube producer should be aware of:

1. Use a script. And if the format is that of an informal discussion have someone who is in charge of the direction the discussion should be taking, and can get things back on track when it veers too far off topic. They should at least have a set of notes of all the main points that need to be covered during the podcast. And if it is just discussion, have guests who are reasonably eloquent. It doesn't matter how knowledgable you are on your subject if you can't convey that knowledge in a way that is interesting for others to listen to.

Personally I hate scripted stuff but I agree with talking points and having someone steering the ship.

36 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

2. Edit. Get rid of all of those ums and errs and awkward silences, and make sure the podcast moves along at an entertaining and informative rate. Lose the mumbling and rambling, and keep it snappy and to the point.

I agree with editing to a point but I think there's a fine line between a good edit and over editing, it still needs to be a natural conversation. Part of the charm of long form podcasts is the human aspect in my eyes and being too gung-ho with the editing just make it sound like over produced radio rather than a friendly podcast.

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

3. Get some decent mics for everyone so that they can be heard properly. Learn how to EQ for the spoken voice and consider recording each contributor to their own channel on a multi-track recorder so that each can be individually processed to make them as legible as possible without affecting the others.

I agree with good EQing and doing a multi track comp but I don't think you need to worry too much. Some of the most popular podcasts in the world consist of Skype interviews, where only the host has a half decent Mic and the individual being interviewed is speaking through the hands free Mic on their ear buds. 

46 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

4. If there is going to be video make sure that the people and their surroundings look presentable. Anything that distracts from the main content of the podcast/video is diluting the message or subject.

I think we're coming to a consensus audio only would be the way to go.  

47 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

5. Keep all the non-talky bits as short as possible unless they are an essential/integral part of the podcast. Intro music/titles? No more than 10 seconds max, 5 seconds would be better. If you can't say what you need in under 10 seconds you are saying too much. Especially stuff that is going to be repeated in every podcast. If you must have loads of credits etc. put them at the end. People will skip over them, but if it's all at the beginning listeners may not even bother listening.

I agree intro "stings" and what not should be kept short and sweet, and credits at the end, but I'd advice having any advertising/sponsorship up front. As a regular listener of podcasts (I listen to a good 5 hours of them a day, Monday to Friday, while at my day job.) that's the standard format and personally I prefer that then I'm aware of any affiliation before going in, plus you can just give a time stamp in the show notes so people can choose to skip over it if they wish. 

2 hour plus podcasts aren't for people with short attention spans from the offset, so attempting to cater for that audience will just alienate people who'd be dedicated listeners. long from podcasts are a group of "friends" you check in with once a week to have a one sided conversation with. The more polished the end product, the more formal you make the relationship between the creators and the audience and that really takes away from the charm of a podcast in my opinion.   

• Like 1

plus you can just give a time stamp in the show notes so people can choose to skip over it if they wish. 

Just as a fyi, as someone who purchases advertising in the media, i’d be thinking twice about doing so with an outlet that actively encourages skimmimg over it (which a time stamp does).

Si

• Like 1

Lot of good points being raised. Some from the top of my head are,

1. Product reviews - Bass, amps, cabs, strings, pedals etc.

2. Group discussions - Topics could include,

How did you discovered the bass, the path you took in learning to play, influences, advise to listeners, do's and don'ts etc.

The touring musician, playing in a band, routines, covering all eventualities, your role as a bass player and as a band member etc.

Products discussions for example, lightweight cabs, vintage Fenders, Class D amps, boutique basses, Ukulele basses, US v Jap v Mex Fenders etc.

Life story - four basschat members talking about their bass life story, how it started, mistakes they made, basses they play, bands they have played it etc.

Technique - discussions on different techniques and styles, e.g. pick, slap, fingers etc.

• Like 1

This is all wavy over my head. The only Podcast I can think of relates to a 2015 film. The cast of Pod included Lauren Carter and Larry Fessenden amongst others.

On a more serious note, although an old fart, I would not be able to listen to a two hour broadcast, I have the attention span of a nat. Short and punchy and I will give it a go. 

I would also suggest that it would have to include content not on the forum to encourage listeners but without gaining them at the expense of the forum - for those that do not listen to podcasts.

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I would also suggest that it would have to include content not on the forum to encourage listeners but without gaining them at the expense of the forum - for those that do not listen to podcasts.

[Devil's advocate mode ON]

I also think we need to ask what the purpose of it is. I doubt it will attract new members, or extend BC's reach.. especially if it's not on FB or YouTube, and audio-only (and therefore linear).

Would the content be better served in posts instead, where they'd get a wider audience and more interaction?

Or... is it literally just a nice thing to have? Not that that's a bad thing, but it'll be a decent amount of effort, for what...?

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I also think we need to ask what the purpose of it is. I doubt it will attract new members, or extend BC's reach.. especially if it's not on FB or YouTube, and audio-only (and therefore linear).

Would the content be better served in posts instead, where they'd get a wider audience and more interaction?

Or... is it literally just a nice thing to have? Not that that's a bad thing, but it'll be a decent amount of effort, for what...?

I think if there is an audience for this then its going to work. Its bit like Talk Radio or those football/politics discussion shows. They don't actually serve any purpose but if listeners find it factual and enjoy listening to the discussions and banter then that's all that matters. So if there's an audience who enjoys listening to the discussions and new players can learn from old players then has to be a good thing. Comes down to audience figures really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

...Lose the mumbling and rambling, and keep it snappy and to the point...

Well, there's my potential contribution well and truly scuppered, then. I was about to embark on an interesting exposé on the do's and don't's of successful radish cultivation, but I fear that, if the intention is to produce 'sound-bites' and slick talk, I'd maybe not be the best person to deliver such. However, I could propose a short (a few hours..?) on how to build a model airplane, or dietary tips for diabetics. An in-depth analysis of the monthly Challenge entries..? My favourite version of 'Dark Star', copiously illustrated with medium-length (twenty minutes or so...) extracts..? A lecture on home recording minimalism; how to compress all one's gear into less than one square metre..? And for the older listener, armchairs and how to choose 'em..?
Hmm... The more I think about it, the more attractive the idea becomes, more especially if video is not required. Let's test my 'hipness' with some modern, 'youf' phraseology, then...
'Hit me up when you're done jawing, to take the above subjects to the next level. Let's get this show on the road.:sun_bespectacled:'

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I think if there is an audience for this then its going to work. Its bit like Talk Radio or those football/politics discussion shows. They don't actually serve any purpose but if listeners find it factual and enjoy listening to the discussions and banter then that's all that matters. So if there's an audience who enjoys listening to the discussions and new players can learn from old players then has to be a good thing. Comes down to audience figures really.

Fair point,  but Talk Radio etc. have a massive potential audience, the experience to keep shows snappy, and - more importantly - everyone can listen to it in the car or in the office. BC has the luxury of none of those....

I see the point about the artificialness of a script, but depending on the format some podcasts could most definitely do with one. Especially this with just a single person. If you really don't want to have a script then be prepared to be ruthless at the edit stage. You'll need to lose all the hesitations and other irritating vocal ticks. Keep the dialogue or discussion fast moving and relevant.

If you are going to have sponsorship and/or advertising then IMO the content needs to be super-slick, otherwise as an advertiser I would wondering where my money went, and as a listener I would want to know why my favourite manufacturer is wasting their money on this rubbish instead of making their products cheaper.

I get exposed to lots of podcasts via my girlfriend who has a thing for supernatural and unexplained phenomenon, and therefore I get to hear the full range good bad and ugly. In this genre the standout podcast is "Lore". It's well researched, properly scripted and eloquently presented, and as a result the presenter/producer Aaron Mahnke now has his own video series on Amazon Prime.

What I don't want to hear in a podcast are the words: "I don't know". This has almost become a catch phrase of the podcast/vlog community. It's not a live broadcast and you have the whole of the internet at your fingertip to find out. So there is absolutely zero excuse for not knowing.

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Just as a fyi, as someone who purchases advertising in the media, i’d be thinking twice about doing so with an outlet that actively encourages skimmimg over it (which a time stamp does).

Si

To be fair that's a very good point, what would be your specifications if you were hypothetically to run an add? Just out of interest, I mean really I think me might be getting ahead of our selves just a bit first we need to figure out who's willing to contribute and what roles people will fill. My be we should do a "pilot" episode to test the theory before committing to anything to grandiose.   

36 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I think it could attract new members, it's like anything that has a community component, people like to be involved and I think folk underestimate the popularity of audio only podcasts. People don't really listen to podcast on FB or YouTube, you listen on RSS Apps or iTunes, that kind of thing. I just think that with the resource of people and the wealth knowledge on BC bringing that to a wider audience would be a really cool thing and a bit of a missed opportunity if it didn't happen. Honestly I can just say that it's something that I'd consume and I know there's a hole  in the market because it's something I've been looking for. Really though at this point I think the main motivation should be that it's a fun communal exercise. If it's not fun to make in the first place, why do it?  

20 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I see the point about the artificialness of a script, but depending on the format some podcasts could most definitely do with one. Especially this with just a single person. If you really don't want to have a script then be prepared to be ruthless at the edit stage. You'll need to lose all the hesitations and other irritating vocal ticks. Keep the dialogue or discussion fast moving and relevant.

If you are going to have sponsorship and/or advertising then IMO the content needs to be super-slick, otherwise as an advertiser I would wondering where my money went, and as a listener I would want to know why my favourite manufacturer is wasting their money on this rubbish instead of making their products cheaper.

I get exposed to lots of podcasts via my girlfriend who has a thing for supernatural and unexplained phenomenon, and therefore I get to hear the full range good bad and ugly. In this genre the standout podcast is "Lore". It's well researched, properly scripted and eloquently presented, and as a result the presenter/producer Aaron Mahnke now has his own video series on Amazon Prime.

What I don't want to hear in a podcast are the words: "I don't know". This has almost become a catch phrase of the podcast/vlog community. It's not a live broadcast and you have the whole of the internet at your fingertip to find out. So there is absolutely zero excuse for not knowing.

I'm still not 100% that it needs to be "Super-Slick", the most listened to and highest grossing podcast world wide is "The Joe Rogan Experience" and that's literally one guy speaking to a new interesting person each episode with no script, totally off the cuff with nothing edited, all awkward silences and all "Ums" and "Ers" kept in. It's real conversations with real people who are really interested in what they're discussing that's the key factor for me personally.      

I'm not sure on how to run this though, because... I mean; I'm happy being fairly heavily involved but I'm properly new round here and feel someone in a BC position of authority needs to make some kind of definitive call on whats to be before anything can be done really. @ped what are you thinking about all this so far?  

Edited by Akio Dāku
typo, there's probably more...
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I think it would be very advantageous to have running in parallel to BC, even sharing content, so I can get my bass fix more passively. It is very easy for me to sit and listen to a podcast while driving Excel or writing a paper, whereas I feel guilty if at work I spend more than a few minutes here and there on the forum. But, I love to dig in to the forum for more details, which are also google-able/searchable, when I have more time.

I would definitely listen to a weekly summary of the compressor thread for example, maybe with some clips. Or, the Top 3 NBD/NAD/NCD threads. Or rig rundowns, again with clips. If something takes my fancy, I dive in to the BC forum to check it out, in addition to my standard visits.

• Like 1

Glad the preference for audio is not just me.

I have read for the Derby Association for the Blind before and I tripe type a lot if there is any need for a back office keyboard jockey.  I'll quietly wait until called upon.

Cracking idea Akio.  I hope that there will be something to gain from the idea for the forum generally but it's not something I'd pay extra for.  Bear in mind that I am a tight git, ask anyone.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, there's my potential contribution well and truly scuppered, then. I was about to embark on an interesting exposé on the do's and don't's of successful radish cultivation, but I fear that, if the intention is to produce 'sound-bites' and slick talk, I'd maybe not be the best person to deliver such. However, I could propose a short (a few hours..?) on how to build a model airplane, or dietary tips for diabetics. An in-depth analysis of the monthly Challenge entries..? My favourite version of 'Dark Star', copiously illustrated with medium-length (twenty minutes or so...) extracts..? A lecture on home recording minimalism; how to compress all one's gear into less than one square metre..? And for the older listener, armchairs and how to choose 'em..?
Hmm... The more I think about it, the more attractive the idea becomes, more especially if video is not required. Let's test my 'hipness' with some modern, 'youf' phraseology, then...
'Hit me up when you're done jawing, to take the above subjects to the next level. Let's get this show on the road.:sun_bespectacled:'

As a drummer, you might be able to offer diplomatic guidance on some of the delicacies of rhythm section protocol...

(Did I really just hit Send on that one?)

Edited by SpondonBassed