Why become a member? ×

BassChat Podcast Feedback & Discussion

Akio Dāku

9 hours ago, Chownybass said:

I said “umm” and “like” too much :)

Have a listen to Zappa's Valley Girl and then see if you feel the same way.  You were fine.

I had never done an interview before and I felt quite comfortable.  The only drawback was the laggy and sometimes brittle Internet connection but we got around that okay.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I've just finished listening to it - nice work, @SpondonBassed and @Akio Dāku :-) No negative comments about the production, writing, vocal style, etc.; it all sounded good. I thought the length was fine, but I'm used to listening to "long-format" podcasts (it was at least shorter than The Intellivisionaries).

The interview with @Chownybass was really interesting - thanks for going into lots of (messy!) detail for us about how the business works. It makes me wonder whether someone at Harmony in India would be willing to be interviewed about their end of the process...

Are you planning on doing a "show notes" page (which I guess would just be the first post in the comments thread)? It'd be nice to have links to the companies/threads you've talked about, the pedal settings you were demonstrating, and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:28, Chownybass said:

I said “umm” and “like” too much :)

Nope - for a live interview (NOT an easy thing to do - especially a long one) much better than most.  :)   

And very interesting indeed.  Full marks

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've finally managed to listen to the whole of it. Well done all involved, and thank you for working so hard on it.

Thumbs firmly up: good audio quality, good presenting, love the news and what's hot on the forum bits, the Q&A section with its humour as well as useful info, liked the interesting talk about bass necks. Although I knew most of the general info, I wasn't familiar with the functioning of the double truss rod, so I learned something I didn't know. :) Only gripe, bit too long - as in, the talk is fine, but it IMO could/should have been divided into two or three installments to publish in two or three episodes. That obviously would require tweaking the script so it doesn't get chopped at random intervals.

The same goes for Stephen Chown's interview, IMO. *Puts her music journo hat on* I like Stephen a lot, and enjoyed working alongside him, David and Scott at NAMM. I like how open and straightforward he is, and his natural, relaxed interview style; I wouldn't want to see that interview shortened, as would happen if, say, I had to make it into a BGM article (it would have to be edited into a crippingly small number of words!). However, once again, the interview could be split into two or three sections that follow the chat's progression, and published in more than one episode. I think it would be an incentive for the listener to look forward to hearing more from the man in the next episode. :) *Takes music journo hat off, and bows* :hi:

So, really, the only thing I found daunting was the 2-hour-plus length. As others have said, no need for you guys to travel up and down the country every week, just gather the same amount of material each time, and use it for more than one episode. IMO, of course.

:drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just listened to this, it's a great way to deal with Friday afternoon work lethargy!

@SpondonBassed and @Akio Dāku brilliant work gents, thoroughly enjoyed the cast.

Now for the love of all that is holy please get @Chownybass back to finish off the CITES topic, you simply can't leave us hanging like that !!! .........

Or was that just a clever way to ensure the pilot got extended... leave em wanting more..... devious 😉

Edited by Zalastar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoyed the podcast, the CHOWNY interview was great, the Q&A interesting and fun, the pedal review was cool (great pedal for the cost) and the rest superb, I didn't mind the length at all, I just listened at a few differnet times, great work guys :D

John

• Like 1

Well I've just got around to listening to the rest of the podcast this evening, and I must say - what a fabulous effort by all concerned! The Chowny interview was lengthy but very engaging. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear more about CITES from a manufacturer's point of view.

I do feel slightly embarrassed at how my questions dominated the Q&A so much, but am pleased that they instigated some excellent discussion :D. Hopefully there might be a few more contributors next time

The pedal demo, and discussion of the analogue vs digital thread were also brilliant. 

2 hours did seem a bit daunting at first, but it actually flew past. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Well done, and a big thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree with all of Cameron and Skinny’s comments. Two one hour episodes with that content would be ideal. So record the same amount of material but edit it across two separate hours. 

The chat to Mr C was fascinating and I want to hear his in depth thoughts on CITES, rosewood and using other woods so do have him back. 

Well done guys. Reminded me a bit in the chatty bits of David and Marc on the dear old Word podcast back in its glory days. Worked really well.

if you ever want a potted history of Wal basses for a future one... 

• Thanks 1

Belatedly my thanks and congratulations. I too would have preferred two separate one-hour episodes - of course i could have split up listening to it, but i got absorbed and went straight through. Good natural voices. Good to have the segments explicitly flagged up. 

Tiny detail - there have been threads here about "what should you always have with you at a gig" usually spare battery. strings, &c but the podcast was the first time I'd heard a hand towel recommended. I passed that tip on to the others in my band. We played a couple of outdoor marquee gigs last weekend, and I was not the only one who gratefully reached for a towel between every song! Thank you @SpondonBassed 🙂 

It's a lot harder to do than it sounds, very well done and thank you.  

• Like 2

Alright chaps, I just spent like 40mins quoting everyone and thanking you all and putting forward a format for the next cast... then I clicked a link by mistake and the draft save didn't have all off it there, so... just... my apologies because this is going to be somewhat less well written through frustration. 😅 So here's a few quotes and quick responses and a rough plan for things to come:

On 30/06/2018 at 15:50, Musashimonkey said:

I prefer a slightly less scripted approach

On 30/06/2018 at 18:48, jebroad said:

less scripted material would be good

This was the consensus, I'm thinking no script just talking points from here on out.

On 02/07/2018 at 11:47, Skol303 said:

The current runtime is too long

On 01/07/2018 at 16:32, CameronJ said:

2 hours is definitely too long

So for the next one I'm thinking a runtime of an hour.

On 06/07/2018 at 15:47, Zalastar said:

Now for the love of all that is holy please get @Chownybass back to finish off the CITES topic, you simply can't leave us hanging like that !!!

On 13/07/2018 at 22:02, TrevorR said:

The chat to Mr C was fascinating and I want to hear his in depth thoughts on CITES, rosewood and using other woods so do have him back. 

Quite a few people felt this way as do I myself so what do you say @Chownybass fancy a follow up?

On 02/07/2018 at 08:42, Skinnyman said:

Pedal Review was excellent although some of the nuances of tonal variation escaped me - a little bit more commentary on what was being adjusted as it was being adjusted would have helped

Seems this worked so we'll keep it as a segment and I shall try and refine the way I do them somewhat.

On 30/06/2018 at 15:50, Musashimonkey said:

Can we get it onto Apple Podcasts?... Would help with easy downloads and listening as an Apple user... (don't let that derail the thread though, all you Androids out there)

We need to do some conferring behind the scenes but my personal plan is to have it out on some form of RSS feed so we can publish to Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and the like so it's available on all podcast apps and things. We just need to find the best hosting option.

On 05/07/2018 at 18:27, atsampson said:

Are you planning on doing a "show notes" page (which I guess would just be the first post in the comments thread)? It'd be nice to have links to the companies/threads you've talked about, the pedal settings you were demonstrating, and so on.

We did do a small set of show notes that you can view on SoundCloud with links and things, I like  the copying them into the thread idea, we'll defiantly do that for the next feedback section.

So here's my proposition/rough plan for the next few episodes:

• Keep the runtime to an hour
  • Split Interview and Discussion episodes
  • Keep Interviews long form but publish as two part episodes 
  • Unscripted but with taking points 
  • Keep the review segment for discussion episodes   
  • 5-10 min Intro/Outro to cover; Sight News, Announcements, Call to Action, etc. 

How does that sound to folk?

Oh and just tagging few people so I know they'll see this; 

@SpondonBassed @Sibob @ped @Silvia Bluejay  

• Thanks 5

Sounds like a good plan 🙂

How about comparing string types - round / half-round / flat / tape wound? Would the sound quality be good enough for the differences to show up? Mind you it might be difficult to control for everything else - you probably don't want to be taking four sets of strings off and on the same bass for the sake of a few minutes playing on each... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, josie said:

Sounds like a good plan 🙂

How about comparing string types - round / half-round / flat / tape wound? Would the sound quality be good enough for the differences to show up? Mind you it might be difficult to control for everything else - you probably don't want to be taking four sets of strings off and on the same bass for the sake of a few minutes playing on each... 

My personal view is that the podcast isn’t for hearing the difference between them, it’s for discussing what people’s thoughts and experiences are :)

Si

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sibob said:

My personal view is that the podcast isn’t for hearing the difference between them, it’s for discussing what people’s thoughts and experiences are :)

Good point, but I also think the audio format makes it possible to actually hear what peeps are talking about. There have been many excellent threads where peeps are describing differences in sound between - amps, bridges, pups, ... - and I'd love to be able to actually hear what they're describing rather than trying to imagine it from the descriptions. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can’t recall if I said how much I enjoyed being a part of the last one. Bo was so easy to chat to so it made for a very easy Skype recording. He also has a great voice for radio... both live and listening to the ‘cast.

Iwonder, like @ped said whether we should compile a list of hot/perennial topics to cover or discuss in the podcast? Such as...

• what's the best bass for metal? Lol!
  • What is the role of the bassist and how has that changed
  • whats the real value of gear above the mid-range price. Does it actually make a difference to anyone/the audience?
  • reading - damaging to creativity, broadly irrelevant, useful but optional skill or essential?
  • ....I’m sure more will occur to me  
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1