Why become a member? ×

BassChat Podcast Feedback & Discussion

Akio Dāku

1 hour ago, Akio Dāku said:

I'm still not 100% that it needs to be "Super-Slick", the most listened to and highest grossing podcast world wide is "The Joe Rogan Experience" and that's literally one guy speaking to a new interesting person each episode with no script, totally off the cuff with nothing edited, all awkward silences and all "Ums" and "Ers" kept in. It's real conversations with real people who are really interested in what they're discussing that's the key factor for me personally.

Compared with some of the Podcasts I've had to endure over the last few months that is pretty slick. It helps that both the host and his choice of guests are both eloquent and have plenty of interesting things to say. From what I've seen on YouTube for equipment reviews and general bass lessons, I'm not so sure that the average bass player is anywhere near as interesting or articulate. It also helps that the conversation has been well recorded. There's nothing more distracting than poor quality audio where you're struggling to make out what the podcasters are saying or dreading next sentence full of "P"s or "S"s...

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Compared with some of the Podcasts I've had to endure over the last few months that is pretty slick. It helps that both the host and his choice of guests are both eloquent and have plenty of interesting things to say. From what I've seen on YouTube for equipment reviews and general bass lessons, I'm not so sure that the average bass player is anywhere near as interesting or articulate. It also helps that the conversation has been well recorded. There's nothing more distracting than poor quality audio where you're struggling to make out what the podcasters are saying or dreading next sentence full of "P"s or "S"s...

I think the issues you raise are valid but remember that the membership, by and large, are not exactly virgins when it comes to working with audio.  Similarly with recording which implies an appreciation of the need to edit in a way that highlights the good content and limits the fluff, as it were.  Field recordings can sound good too.

• Like 1

Joe Rogan is a successful stand up comedian and TV presenter. He has years of experience and to be fair a lot of charisma. He also has very interesting guests, a script (although you'd never realise because he's that good) and a information internet and audio visual helper. 

The way he does his podcast though is top notch. Not at all 'traditional presenter' like or false.

2 hours ago, Akio Dāku said:

To be fair that's a very good point, what would be your specifications if you were hypothetically to run an add? Just out of interest, I mean really I think me might be getting ahead of our selves just a bit first we need to figure out who's willing to contribute and what roles people will fill. My be we should do a "pilot" episode to test the theory before committing to anything to grandiose.   

As you mention, talking ads is probably getting ahead of ourselves. The forum has advertising because it can boast thousands of users and interactions. A podcast relies on download numbers to prove listenership. But for what it’s worth, a 5-10 second Audio ad at the start of the podcast is usually about right. That’s about as much as you’ll get before people actively look to skip.

I think it would absolutely pull in a new and different ‘readership’. Lots of people want easy-to-consume bass content, but have no interest in forums.

Si

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I think it would absolutely pull in a new and different ‘readership’. Lots of people want easy-to-consume bass content, but have no interest in forums.

I'm not so sure about this. I think we're talking a small number of people*.

*I'm very happy to proved wrong.

12 minutes ago, jebroad said:

As a representative of yoofs, I’m really interested in this and will be a keen listener if it goes ahead. 

I'm quite sure that you would be a welcome contributor.  You've been an early achiever where building is concerned.  I'd hope to hear your view of things.

Edited by SpondonBassed

:) I think it's a lovely idea. Then I remember the BC blog and the difficulties involved in getting people to just write stuff, let alone get together, record and edit. Oh, and someone to sit through the recordings to check them for defamatory comments and - gasp - profanities.

Great if it happens, won't be holding my breath, happy to be proved wrong.

11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

:) I think it's a lovely idea. Then I remember the BC blog and the difficulties involved in getting people to just write stuff, let alone get together, record and edit. Oh, and someone to sit through the recordings to check them for defamatory comments and - gasp - profanities.

Great if it happens, won't be holding my breath, happy to be proved wrong.

It would really be quite amusing if any profanties were overdubbed with the same swear filter as here :lol:

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, charic said:

It would really be quite amusing if any profanties were overdubbed with the same swear filter as here :lol:

It would be hee-lairee-yuss. 

I really need to have a sit down with whomsoever programmes that filter. Wild-äss becomes wild donkey? When in the name of all that's holy did äss become a profanity, partickly when used in the phrase 'he's a silly äss'?

Edited by skankdelvar

Think it would be easy enough to record. You can just record Skype into a DAW given the right interface, although not sure if that’s still the case if you have more than two people on the call. Will investigate when I get the chance (currently on holiday).

Si

• Like 1

I'm an active podcast listener (my feed has about 15 weeklies in it) and I would definitely add this one. Echoing others I would also be willing to contribute if there aren’t enough offers already  

Audio only is the only viable option IMO given the relative time suck video would represent. 

I would also urge you to keep the episodes to 40-45mins and build out if the initial audience response suggests you should. Anything over an hour means two sittings for most folks, so you have a greater chance of drop-out/content being missed. 

• Like 1

I’m a big Joe Rogan podcast fan, love the style, content and resultantly; I’m a regular listener. 

I’ve searched for bass related podcasts, and the closest thing that’s grabbed my attention is the Scotts Bass Lesson podcasts. Though I must admit, I don’t really follow them closely, and haven’t listened to one for a long while. 

I’d be interested in listening to a BassChat podcast. 

Edited by Musashimonkey
Spelling (damn autocorrect)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Sounds interesting. I listen to several favourite podcasts on my commute every day, would be good to have a bass one to listen to.

Just listen to a normal one, but with the treble and mid turned all the way down...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Ah... Thanks for that; I'll sleep slightly wiser tonight than I would otherwise have done. I'm heartened to think that BC members are taking such an interest in gardening, although such devotion to this humble pulse food surprises me a little. One learns a little something every day..! B|

It's good to keep one's finger on the pulse. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, there's my potential contribution well and truly scuppered, then. I was about to embark on an interesting exposé on the do's and don't's of successful radish cultivation, but I fear that, if the intention is to produce 'sound-bites' and slick talk, I'd maybe not be the best person to deliver such. However, I could propose a short (a few hours..?) on how to build a model airplane, or dietary tips for diabetics. An in-depth analysis of the monthly Challenge entries..? My favourite version of 'Dark Star', copiously illustrated with medium-length (twenty minutes or so...) extracts..? A lecture on home recording minimalism; how to compress all one's gear into less than one square metre..? And for the older listener, armchairs and how to choose 'em..?
Hmm... The more I think about it, the more attractive the idea becomes, more especially if video is not required. Let's test my 'hipness' with some modern, 'youf' phraseology, then...
'Hit me up when you're done jawing, to take the above subjects to the next level. Let's get this show on the road.:sun_bespectacled:'

I'd listen to this!  Can you do something on the benefits of HO vs N guage model railways too?

7 minutes ago, ead said:

I'd listen to this!  Can you do something on the benefits of HO vs N guage model railways too?

That's easy - you get 4X as much room for your railway in the same physical space with N gauge. Question answered, no need for a podcast. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I think the issues you raise are valid but remember that the membership, by and large, are not exactly virgins when it comes to working with audio.  Similarly with recording which implies an appreciation of the need to edit in a way that highlights the good content and limits the fluff, as it were.  Field recordings can sound good too.

IME working with just speech requires a whole different set of skills and techniques to working with vocals for a song. 

With spoken work the most important thing to aim for is clarity and comprehensibility. Not necessarily something that most music producers are going to be worried about when they are capturing a "performance". And all those extraneous noises on the vocal track that disappear in the mix will be out there in all their unwanted glory for all to hear and get very irritated by if they occur with any great regularity.

• Like 1