Why become a member? ×

Optimum positioning of 2 cabs

JohnDaBass

Now there are many comments on various threads regarding the positioning of two bass cabs so the mission of this thread is to try to bring together the experiences, wisdom and comment of all parties regarding the positioning of two bass cabs. 

We are grateful for the input of Bill, Stevie Phil, and many others on such topics and I look forward to what they can add to the subject!

I have enjoyed great performance from my two BassChat MK1 1x12 cabs stacked on top of one another. The slot ported cab on the bottom and the 4 tube ported cab on top. To my ear I do not seem to experience the cancelling effect to the Mids that the interference of two adjacent should produce. Now that could be because of my particular sound but I have achieved a really good sound from this setup.

I have recently acquired a BF One 10 and I am interested to learn what would be a productive cab stage positioning .

One idea is to have to One10 on a stand angled up to my ears then place my BF Super Compact about 3 metres away the other side of the drummer. My normal stage position is to the RHS of the drummer, who is centre stage, and run  a speaker cable to the Super Compact on the LHS of the stage. Now to my mind I should not experiece any form of "Mids" cancellation and I should enjoy the benefits of bass coupling from the SC on its own.

What are your views ,experiences,  comments or mathematical calculations to optimise my stage set-up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muzz said:

Stack them, don't split them. You can angle the One10 on top of the SC, even better for hearing it to your ears if you're on a space-compromised stage area.

Now that's what folks say with the Mesa Subway 1x12 and Subway 1x15 but does this setup cancel any "Mids"?

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

One idea is to have to One10 on a stand angled up to my ears then place my BF Super Compact about 3 metres away the other side of the drummer.

That will cause low frequency cancellations. Put one cab on  the floor, aimed at the drummer, for him to hear. Put the other on top of it aimed at you for you to hear.

• Like 3

Stacking is the least bad way to do it. You will get cancellations but mostly in the vertical plane. This would be a massive problem if you kept lying down and then standing up, but for walking around horizontally it's not so bad.

5 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Now that's what folks say with the Mesa Subway 1x12 and Subway 1x15 but does this setup cancel any "Mids"?

According to the guy (on Talkbass) who designed the D800, the Mesa Subway cabs were intended to be used together so they will work.

Bill is absolutely right, cabs on top of each other with the centres of the cones aligned is best. Anything else and you'll get places on stage where frequencies are cancelled due to the sound arriving from the two speakers at different times.

However I'm not a purist about this. We rarely play in ideal conditions in the UK, lot's of small venues and misshaped buildings, and bands who are run on a shoestring budget with inadequate gear. Sometimes you have to improvise and then it is a question of balancing two evils. When I started doing PA a long time ago we often used to swap speakers in a stack so the bassist had one of the guitarists 4x12's in their stack and vice versa. On a wide stage that helped them hear each other. Some of the older rock bands still do this, probably out of habit but at least one band had that arrangement at Glastonbury this year. If the onstage gear is just for monitoring and what the audience hear is through a massive PA it wouldn't be a problem. In one difficult venue I had my amp facing the audience but added my practice amp (Hartke Kickback) as a monitor for the drummer.

If you think about it some bands scrap backline altogether and use floor monitors, the bass might be coming out of all of them so you have set up all sorts of interference/cancellation problems. It works because you are much closer to your own monitor than the rest. That means it is louder than the rest so although there is interference from the other monitors in practice it isn't noticeable.

So I'd say default position is vertically aligned cabs but if you are due on in 5 mins and someone really can't hear then be prepared to be creative, then go back and think how you can sort your monitoring after the gig. In our case we gave the drummer their own monitor at ear level and let them mix in what they wanted to hear, mainly vocals and bass.

• Like 1