Why become a member? ×

Did your band improve AFTER a player left?

Arrowsmith

Last band I was in we went through three or four singers. First one drank way too much and was trousered before gigs started. Second one was a great singer but an unreliable derrière of a man. I wondered why he'd been in so many bands locally - until he we turfed him, and other musicians started sharing their stories about him.

Then we got a girl in to sing. Our drummer, a great player but somewhat starved of romance for over a decade, instantly fell for her. Should've seen that coming, really. Eventually they formed a little clique and refused to compromise their now shared opinions on tunes, gigs to refuse and so on. So they had to go. Now they travel round the area doing "sound bath" evenings for the spiritually gullible, with Tibetan bells or something.

Me and the guitarist got a new outfit together, borrowed a drummer and found a bloke who was a bit of a karaoke nut, but had never sung in a band before. Turns out he has a tremendous voice and always learns new songs before the next practice. He might still suggest Don't Fear The Reaper, Layla, and other things which apparently go down well at karaoke evenings (who knew?) but we hope to have him educated soon.

In short, the atmosphere has lightened considerably,and the first few gigs we've done have been fantastic fun. :)

Edited by HengistPod
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

they travel round the area doing "sound bath" evenings for the spiritually gullible, with Tibetan bells or something

Let me know when they recreate Lennon and Yoko's bed-in will you?

Oh how I larfed reading that.

Very happy to hear the upside.  Well done.

On 13/06/2018 at 15:06, discreet said:

This reinforces my view that keys players are a localised pain in the fundament. And yes, I know good keys players are out there - I was in a band with one 40 years ago. Just haven't met one since...

I'm in three bands. The same keys player is in all three. Thankfully he's a great player and a thoroughly nice bloke.